Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Vinitasse
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By dans1982

Thread: plumbing-in Alex Duetto, ?? justifiable

plumbing-in Alex Duetto, ?? justifiable

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hi everyone, I've got the Duetto 3. It's great little machine but I'm really tired of filling water every 3rd or 4th cup of coffee. I'm thinking about plumbing it in but I still can't get my head around drilling a big hole through my stone benchtop. I understand you can use the pre-infusion function once it's plumbed in. Can you really taste the difference using the pre-infusion?? I need to weigh in the pros and cons before i drill the hole.

TC
    Wow.. All I can say is you must drink really big cups!

Diamond hole saw with no pilot. Keep the core and then you can return it to position if you choose.

e-61 machines include mechanical preinfusion. Unlikely you will notice any significant difference in the cup once plumbed. You plumb to save filling the machine and emptying the drip tray.

+1 to Chris' comment re big cups.... or big shots or ..... just how much water are you using per coffee??

I have an unplumbed Alex II, 4-6+ coffees/day + steam and fill the tank every 3rd day or so; or something like that.....

Now I'll have to count how many I do get......... :-(

thanks guys. Probably the cleaning between coffee uses most water. Man, still can't decide.

I have a stone bench too....

The only reason I haven't drilled a hole yet is the upcoming upgrade...... ;-)

Then I will definitely plumb.

I don't know if you have already but please... PLEASE! Make sure you have an inline water filter, don't spoil that amazing machine. Brita C150 or C50 should do the job great.

Filtered water = happy machine and longer life span. It's like having a diet of McDonalds for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert as compared to a healthy eater filling he's plate with vegetable and lean meats. End result is someone who is obese with heart conditions as compared to some one who is lean and fit as a whistle. (That was a great comparison *Pat on my own back*)

Quote Originally Posted by brendogs View Post
    I don't know if you have already but please... PLEASE! Make sure you have an inline water filter, don't spoil that amazing machine. Brita C150 or C50 should do the job great.

Filtered water = happy machine and longer life span. It's like having a diet of McDonalds for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert as compared to a healthy eater filling he's plate with vegetable and lean meats. End result is someone who is obese with heart conditions as compared to some one who is lean and fit as a whistle. (That was a great comparison *Pat on my own back*)
    Whistles aren't very fit. They're usually made of tin or plastic and filled with saliva
    chokkidog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinitasse View Post
    Whistles aren't very fit. They're usually made of tin or plastic and filled with saliva
    Think Brendogs got his metaphors a little mixed Vinitasse.

"fit as a fiddle"

"clean as a whistle"
    Vinitasse likes this.

Where are you located vlkcheng? If you are in Melbourne I can help you out. I'm a cabinetmaker/ furniture maker by trade and I know great stone masons to cut the hole and a great plumber to sort the water. I have done this multiple times and would be more than happy to give you some advise. Plumbing in is the way to go and the water quality with a good filtration system is much better for your beloved! You won't know yourself when you don't have to fill up that darn tank again!

I've actually just plumbed in my GS3 and I love it! Got the Brita C150 kit with the extra tap so that my family can drink filtered water too. IMO, the extra tap helped me justify drilling through my benchtop. Alternatively, you could just drop your hose into a larger tank for filtered water so you don't have to top it up so often.

Thanks everyone for your comment. I live in Briz. I did plan to get a filtration system if I decided to plumb it in. Extra filter water tap for the family. Great point!! Haven't thought about that point. Another positive reason. I might ask my other half for permission to drill a hole on my upcoming birthday.

I have just plumbed in the Duetto III and (cost aside) I am very happy with the resulting ease of use. I also got the Brita C150 filter with tap and it's great.

I do have some advice from my experience for what it's worth.

1. Take Chris's advice on keeping the plug with a grain of salt. I don't know about the experience of others but in my case the kerf was about 3mm so about 6mm across the diameter. This means that to grout in the plug again will leave a very noticeable circle of grout.

2. Consider doing the plumbing yourself. Having now seen and paid a fortune for the plumber to make the connections and run the pipes, I reckon I could do it myself. I didn't do so as I was concerned with how the insurance would work if I created a flood.

2. Shop around for your plumber. In my case I used Google to locate a plumbing firm and ended up with Mr. H2O Plumbing and Electrical. What a scam. They charged me a fortune for this and another couple of jobs they did for me. Because I had a limited window to have the install done due to taking annual leave, I accepted this very over-priced outcome.

3. Organise your own stonemason. One of my big complaints with Mr H2O was in relation to cutting the hole in the granite benchtop. When I made the booking I specifically asked if the plumber would have the tools and be capable of cutting the hole in the granite. I was assured they had the tools required. Turns out that was complete crap. So the plumber then gets on the phone to find a stonemason to cut the hole. He couldn't get one until the next day and it would cost $550 to cut the hole. I saw no option but to agree at that point. My mistake. Next day comes and the stonemason didn't turn up. I then got on the internet and phone to local firms and got someone there within the hour for a cost of $120 cash. Chris's advice to buy a hole saw and do it yourself might be a cheaper option again.

4. Get a pressure limiting valve (of the correct spec). I got the C150 filter and tap package from Chris at Talk Coffee. The PLV included was the wrong size (6.5 bar instead of 3.5 bar). I was worried the pressure would be too much and so went back to the tank while Chris fixed me up with the correct PLV (very quickly) and now all is good.

With my Duetto, the pump activation switch is configured such that I can put the lever part way up and open the group to the ambient pressure before the pump comes on. This means I can have 3.5 bar preinfusion for as long as I want. I haven't played around with this much yet but it is another variable to consider.

Chris had set the pump pressure when he sold me the Duetto but I adjusted it again once I had it plumbed in to take account of the ambient water pressure.

Cheers
    Dean

TC
    Best not to employ rockstar supermodel plumbers Dean. They want $1k just to get outa bed!

Beyond a 1/2" male cold tap and installation of a drain if required, it's plug and play for any half-inclined handyman.

Good diamond drills are not too hard to find and then it's a case of slow and steady and keep things wet and cool to drill the bench. I can understand that some people prefer to pay a stonemason, but my cut width is honestly 1mm. The core would go back and be close on invisible.

Being a tiler by trade and worked with a lot of stone, I agree with Chris, this isn't a hard job to do at all. 2 speed drill set on slow, appropriate diamond tip hole saw from Bunnings, ice cream tub with a wet chux or sponge and slowly go while adding small amounts of water, couple of old tea towels or like with 100m centre cut out to contain the mess. Biggest thing is measure 3 times and cut once. Also don't push hard let the bit do all the work, especially as you are getting to the backside of the cut.

Stating the obvious don't let the plug fall through and break your significant others prize porcelain, empty the cupboard underneath

Chester

The easiest way I have found to do it is to cut the appropriate hole into a bit of timber, mdf, ect with a timber cutting hole saw. Then clamp that piece of timber to your benchtop with the hole in the right position, then drill through the benchtop with your diamond tip hole saw. The diamond tip hole saws do not have a centre locating drill bit, so best to use the timber as a locating jig otherwise the hole saw will go anywhere it wants and completely ruin your bench. As cosmic mentioned, low speed drill and take your time. I also use a spray bottle to keep wetting it down as I'm drilling.
    cosmic_couple22 likes this.

this is very helpful,
    I'm redoing my kitchen,

and looking at plumbing as well,
    hope I'm not hijacking thread

does anyone have a photo to share of hole placement on bench, (towards back?, where does it need to align with machine), eventually looking to upgrade to Duetto,
    but want to organise plumbing while kitchen is being done.

how large must the hold in the stone be?
    can it go via the splash back instead?
    and do you need two hole?, one for drainage and one for water supply.

and what is this thing about the PLV,

thanks

Definitely through the bench is easier for drainage purposes. I generally cut a 60mm hole as most cable caps are made to suit 60mm holes. Cable caps are basically a plastic or metal ring that sits over the hole to protect the edge and save your hoses from cutting on the stone. A plv is a pressure limiting valve and it does just that. It basically prevents a spike in the mains that could potentially destroy your machine!

Great advice. Thanks

thanks for the tips