Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Another new R58 owner

Another new R58 owner

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So after 10 years of faithful service, i retired my old trusty ECM giotto premium
    The machine served me well, and hopefully its new owner will get much enjoyment from it also.

So today to get its replacement, i went and paid Chris from Talk coffee a visit.
    So much eye candy in there, the eyes just didnt know were to look first.

i had 3 machines in mind, the rocket evoluzione v2, rocket r58 and izzo duetto 3

the wife pointed straight at the r58 and said she liked that one, i was thinking along the same lines, but wasn't sure on the way the pid controller was attached, but loved everything else about it looks wise. So much nice bling.
    the duetto 3 was also a beauty, but the size of the drip tray just looked too bulky to me, and i knew some of my cups just weren't going to fit between the portafilter and tray.
    The other argument is the one on the r58 is too small, but is of no concern to me, as will be plumbing it in.

So the bling won out, and i left the store with not only an r58 but with 6 rocket espresso cups, 6 rocket short black cups, under bench water filtration kit, and placed an order for a black mazzer kony e to replace the mazzer mini manual.

Chris as usual was very helpful and a joy to do business with, am eager to try the 2 bags of coffee he provided with the coffee He also gave me a naked portafilter in the deal, so will have to use it now to see how good or bad my techniques really is

Got it home set it up and poured my first shot...WOW, silence compared to my last machine, not going to be scaring little children every time the pump kicks in to top up the boiler or when pulling a shot.

First coffee was absolutely lovely, and i dare say this machine should see me through for the next 10 years or so.

Now the agonizing wait for that kony e

i'll take some pics during the week to post up
    TC, danielb, dans1982 and 1 others like this.

Nice pickup John I'm looking forward to picking my new machine (Your old one) up from Chris very soon and have a glance over his grinder selection while out there.

kbc
    Enjoy it John. It's a great machine

Cheers guys. Will be putting it through its paces tonight.
    Got a bbq so will be pumping out a few coffees.
    Dale am sure you will love your new machine

kbc
    Ahhhh. I love pulling shots for a crowd. Enjoy that John

i will say it once again, i am totally blown away with this machine.

Last night had a crowd of 13 people here for a bbq and was pulling shot after shot after shot.
    The machine was doing it with ease, and allot of the drinks were milk based. Was also a huge talking point and everyone was asking about the little PID controller.

The only thing left now is to pick up the new grinder on Friday and find its final resting place, then i can plumb it in.
    Have the filter all set up and ready to go, just want to be absolutely sure of exactly where i want it before drilling a hole in the bench top

kbc
    Treat that machine to a great grinder John.

kbc
    Did you consider the Nota Orchestrale as it's in the same price range as the R58 and Duetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly404 View Post
    Treat that machine to a great grinder John.
    have done so mate, a mazzer kony e

Did you consider the Nota Orchestrale as it's in the same price range as the R58 and Duetto?
    no, not for any reason other then having owned a giotto for 10 years of almost all trouble free, and having a friend who has a duetto and hasnt had any issues either, i figured id stick with what i know.
    Then theres the issue of you start comparing too many machines, i think it would just do your head in, i was having a hard enough time picking between these two
    i almost put it to a toss of a coin
    Dimal likes this.

TC
    Yes- but it's in a different class with all other rotary pump HX machines. It's comparable to circa $3k Giotto EVO et al, not the any of the dual boiler offer.

kbc
    Yep. The dual boilers are awesome. That's why I went for the R58. I like the look of the Nota and the massive 3L boiler though.

well i found the first thing i dont like about this machine, the damn water tank. It is so tight getting in and out.
    It wont bother me for long as i will be plumbing it in this weekend, but today, got the flashing green light with the message water tank empty on the PID controller.

For those with the same machine and plumbed in, do you leave the water tank in, or can you remove it and store it away. Doesnt mention it in the manual, from the quick glimpse i had through it

Also was playing around with manual preinfusion, and noticed that when lifting the lever to the first click doesnt do it, need to raise it just a little higher. Can this be adjusted so it works right on that first click?
    Not something i play with regularly, just wanting to see what difference it can make

TC
    Hi John,

Bring your tank in on Friday when you collect the Kony-E. Easily fixed with a little food lube

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Hi John,

Bring your tank in on Friday when you collect the Kony-E. Easily fixed with a little food lube

Chris

Thanks Chris

i think i may still have some here from when got some from you last time.
    Didnt even think of that

kbc
    Kony E . Great stuff John

Again thanks to Chris, picked up the new grinder today.
    Got it home and set it up on the bench next to the old one. To be perfectly honest, think i may just hang onto the mini, as they look good together

Have also ordered some timber handles for the R58.

now for all the pics of the new setup in the buttlers pantry. All plumbed in now also

Dimal, chokkidog, TC and 3 others like this.

kbc
    Great setup. Now you need a cold dripper to finish it off

kbc
    tropellor likes this.

Wow John!

With all that Shiny sitting on the bench you must need to wear your sunnies when pulling shots...

Lovely setup mate...

Mal.

TC
    Great pix JohnA,

It's really difficult to get photos which do justice to espresso gear. These just ooze (almost) liquid metal!

Congrats on your new kit. I know it will bring you much pleasure. Thanks also for choosing us.

Chris

kbc
    That Kony looks amazing !!

Looks great Paul, not sure if i will add a cold drip to the setup, i think i have taken my chances with the boss already having 2 grinders up there, and plumbing in the coffee machine. Mind you, she is great, when i got the Kony E, she said if it doesnt fit, just cut a section out of the overhead shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Wow John!

With all that Shiny sitting on the bench you must need to wear your sunnies when pulling shots...

Lovely setup mate...

Mal.
    Thanks Mal, i tell you what, when the sun is shining through that window, it is almost a case of wearing the sunnies next to that machine

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Great pix JohnA,

It's really difficult to get photos which do justice to espresso gear. These just ooze (almost) liquid metal!

Congrats on your new kit. I know it will bring you much pleasure. Thanks also for choosing us.

Chris
    Cheers Chris photos were taken with the little sony nex 6 and the small kit lens. A bit of PP and its amazing the results one can get.
    Mate you have always been helpful to me in all the years i had the old machine so the choice to come to you for the new kit was simple

That Kony looks amazing !!
    The Matte black finish is something special for sure. I was amazed to read about people getting clumps from the electronic which did concern me a little, but i have not had any clumping at all with this one, and it is a joy to use.
    Best part is so much less mess compared to that mini and ground coffee flying everywhere other then in the basket

Quote Originally Posted by JohnA View Post
    ........pics of the new setup in the buttlers pantry. ".....
    Wow ! You have a butler !

Quote Originally Posted by blend52 View Post
    Wow ! You have a butler !
    Yea, his name is John

kbc
    John. ....your wife is as amazing as your coffee gear !!

Sweet setup John, looks amazing! You will love the kony, well worth the investment.

those pictures, make me wanna hop right in my car and buy a R58. Any stockists in WA?

Quote Originally Posted by dans1982 View Post
    Sweet setup John, looks amazing! You will love the kony, well worth the investment.
    thanks, yep, the Kony i am already in love with. I was a little skeptical that the grinder would make a huge difference, but i have been proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Avex View Post
    those pictures, make me wanna hop right in my car and buy a R58. Any stockists in WA?
    maybe i should ask the company for a commission from all sales from my pics
    there seems to be 2 dealers in WA

Espresso Coffee Machines Grinders Steam Machines Domestic Commercial Domobar Rocket ECM Vibiemme

all dealers are listed on their site

Also was playing around with manual preinfusion, and noticed that when lifting the lever to the first click doesnt do it, need to raise it just a little higher. Can this be adjusted so it works right on that first click?
    Not something i play with regularly, just wanting to see what difference it can make
    A much debated point, but the E61 purists will say that it is not meant to "pre infuse" in that mid position.
    Strictly speaking that is a "dwell" point between two cams that operate the valves, though on some groups it does open the inlet valve to allow a slow flow to the puck.
    remember the E61 is designed with an automatic 4-5 sec pre infusion system that starts when the lever is fully lifted.
    To fully answer your question though, no, the lever cannot be "adjusted" to alter that mid position function ,...at least not without dismantling and machining components.!

Quote Originally Posted by blend52 View Post
    A much debated point, but the E61 purists will say that it is not meant to "pre infuse" in that mid position.
    Strictly speaking that is a "dwell" point between two cams that operate the valves, though on some groups it does open the inlet valve to allow a slow flow to the puck.
    remember the E61 is designed with an automatic 4-5 sec pre infusion system that starts when the lever is fully lifted.
    To fully answer your question though, no, the lever cannot be "adjusted" to alter that mid position function ,...at least not without dismantling and machining components.!
    thank you kindly for the reply to this.
    Yes, i knew the e-61 had the 4 sec pre infusion, but have found a slightly longer one sometimes produces a better result in the cup, or maybe i am just dreaming
    However, it is nice to play a little and taste the results.
    I have now gotten so use to the exact position for the manual pre infusion, that it's a non issue any more.

However today i have stuck with auto 4 sec pre infusion and havent had anything to complain about.

kbc
    You have me thinking about upgrading to a Kony now... I thought my upgraditis was cured but it's back..

It's never cured pauly, just suppressed most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by dans1982 View Post
    It's never cured pauly, just suppressed most of the time.
    I'm at the sad point where I love my current gear but want other stuff to give me different characteristics. Ridiculous!

I hear you man, I think we need CSA meetings ( coffee snobs anonymous )

even worse when you have a few hobbies all fighting for your spare funds

between cars, hifi and coffee....how the wife is still with me i have no idea

how the wife is still with me i have no idea
    Simple......I never question her clothes and she never questions my coffee. Plus she also gets the delicious benefits.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    and the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    and the coffee
    Hahaha yes and the coffee, you dirty minded man! I'm in stitches!

kbc
    My wife also enjoys the benefits ... Of coffee. She breaks my heart a little every morning though when she adds milk

kbc
    John, do you know how many grams of coffee get stuck in the chute of the Kony E?

kbc
    I'm considering an upgrade from the Mini E to a Super Jolly E or a Kony E..

John, do you know how many grams of coffee get stuck in the chute of the Kony E?
    no idea at all mate, and not something that has crossed my mind to be honest.
    my first shot every morning just goes down the sink
    Dimal and TC like this.

I wouldn't really call going from a mini to an SJ an upgrade..... more of a sideways movement.

I agree chokkidog, I went from a mini e to a Jolly e and sold it a month later and bought the kony. I always dump about 10 grams before I get started.

kbc
    It is a bit of a sideways move I know. Is the Kony worth the extra $ though... That's the big question. From what I have read the SJ highlights base notes and the Kony brightens. I prefer base notes so maybe the SJ makes sense for me.

Then stay with the mini? All you are really gaining from the SJ is faster grinding speed.

If you can do some taste comparisons with coffee that you like, between planar and conical, you may get a better idea of what suits you.

My own opinion after moving from a Macap to a Robur is that the conical just gives me more and brings a wider more vivid spectrum

of flavour, (including the 'base notes') but with more complexity and nuances..... but that applies to the coffee that I roast.

For the $$$spend, don't rely on what you read on the interwebs, (including my own opinion), but get some personal, meaningful experience.

some timber goodness has arrived today for my darling R58

will hopefully swap over all the handles later today and post up some pics.

and here are the pics are promised

now the question i am sure everyone is dying to ask...
    does it make a better coffee after fitting the wooden handles.....

NO
    but feels so much nicer then the plastic ones
    billabong, Dimal and chokkidog like this.

kbc
    Wow!!!! Who made these??? They are amazing?

Paul

these ones i purchased from Custom accessories for barista, espresso machine and grinder - Jörg Custom Woodworks
    i also ordered a different style set from a guy in the states, but he has a 6 month backlog as he only does it as a part time gig.

Jorg had them made within a week then took around another 10-12 days to have them delivered to me. Delivery charges very reasonable also.

I am very happy with the work, though i did have to modify the steam and hot water handles to make the original caps fit into them.

The ones on the machine now are cocobolo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast