Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TC
  • 1 Post By geoff
  • 1 Post By TC

Thread: Suggestions for spending $4000 on machine and grinder?

Suggestions for spending $4000 on machine and grinder?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Having sold old set-up (thanks coffeesnobs!) and now drinking stovetop expresso and pre-ground coffee, I'm after new equipment. Budget is around $4K.

After months of reading posts and reviews, I'm thinking Alex Duetto 111 and Macap M4D as the best combo I can buy new for about this price, but would others favour more/less on machine/grinder?

My coffee space allows max 600ml height for grinder and has plumbed option (hence Alex Duetto 111 'flick of a switch' between mains and tank attraction). We drink 3-4 espresso a day, with a milk coffee every now and then. But I'm really after great espresso.

The other option is to buy second-hand from this great forum and $4K will obviously get me more, but not sure what to look out for.

Any suggestions appreciated?

Cheers
    geoff

TC
    Hi Geoff,

The combo you're suggesting will certainly do the job. You may not be aware, but we have a near new unmarked demo model for sale. Combine it with an M4D and you will be very close to budget. The M4D is now available in black and is less expensive and looks schmick as well!

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by TC; 27th December 2014 at 09:46 PM. Reason: further info & typo
    Dimal likes this.

Thanks Chris

I had noticed this on your website. Next move I suppose is to see machine in action. I will send you a message to arrange a visit if possible. Thanks.

Geoff

TC
    No worries Geoff. Drop me a line and we can pull some shots

Cheers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Hi Geoff,

The combo you're suggesting will certainly do the job. You may not be aware, but we have a near new unmarked demo model for sale. Combine it with an M4D and you will be very close to budget. The M4D is now available in black and is less expensive and looks schmick as well!

Cheers

Chris
    Hi Chris is this offer still avaiable?

Cheers Bob

That'd be a great combo for sure....

Mal.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by bayado View Post
    Hi Chris is this offer still avaiable?

Cheers Bob
    Yes Bob- still available. We had a bandwidth issue with our website but all is now good (time to tear someone a new one).

Chris
    Last edited by TC; 29th December 2014 at 08:04 AM.

Hello all

After much deliberation, I picked up a Rocket R58 and Mazzer Mini manual from Chris today (thanks Chris). A couple of hours in, I'm still working on the balance between the two to get a great espresso. Coming close with the single and double PF's, but being a first time user of a naked PF I'm really struggling with this one. Coffee going everywhere and no nice conical pour into the cup! Obviously a lot to learn here. Do you need to dose these differently? Any help appreciated.

geoff
    TC likes this.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    Hello all

After much deliberation, I picked up a Rocket R58 and Mazzer Mini manual from Chris today (thanks Chris). A couple of hours in, I'm still working on the balance between the two to get a great espresso. Coming close with the single and double PF's, but being a first time user of a naked PF I'm really struggling with this one. Coffee going everywhere and no nice conical pour into the cup! Obviously a lot to learn here. Do you need to dose these differently? Any help appreciated.

geoff
    Congrats geoff and thanks for your support.

What you're describing is termed channelling. It would probably be happening with your conventional portafilters as well- you just don't get to see it. Critical with a naked is an appropriate dose coupled with great distribution and once you nail it, you will see a quantum leap in the cup. They are the best learning tool ever!

Practise, practise, practise...

Cheers

Chris
    chokkidog likes this.

Thanks Chris

Practise I will - maybe with a lesser roast than yours...

Thanks

geoff

Congrats geoff!

Re: Naked. As Chris said, appropriate dosing, good distribution with even tamping will be the key. All the best with your new equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    Thanks Chris

Practise I will - maybe with a lesser roast than yours...

Thanks

geoff
    The trick is to try to get the grounds evenly distributed in filter basket before you tamp. A tip for dosing with the Mini (or other grinders with dosers): free dose, which means thwacking the lever to fill the filter basket while grinding rather than grinding then dosing. This reduces the tendency for the grounds to cling together and form lumps.

Be careful about using low quality beans as they may produce poor results and ideally you will stick with the same bean while learning - at least for the first couple of weeks -so you aren't dealing with another variable in the coffee making process.

But Chris is right in that practice and patience are what is required. It took me month to get to a stage where I could make good shots with just about any coffee. However, make sure you taste your shots as well - don't just discard the shots that don't pour as well as you would have liked as often they will still taste good.