Thread: La Pavoni Pub V 2 Group - boiler element blown?

La Pavoni Pub V 2 Group - boiler element blown?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have just purchased a used 2 group La Pavoni Pub V. After plumbing it in I turned it on and the pump immediately started to fill up the boiler. At the same time the boiler began to warm up. I was a little surprised there wasn't a separate switch to allow filling of the boiler before heating but there is only one switch. After 1-2 minutes the pump stopped and the pressure gauge was up around 1bar. I then decided (in hindsight, foolishly) to open the hot water valve to test the temperature of the water. The needle on the gauge dropped right down, the pump kicked in again and the boiler didn't heat up again... I assumed at this point that I had ruined the boiler element and that the water level was not high enough to cover it as it was heating. But everything else was still working fine and the machine was still powered on. Is it possible that there is a safety mechanism that prevented the boiler from burning out? I checked the manual that I found on the La Pavoni Website and it says: Caution! Absence of water in the boiler while the machine is running causes interruption of the resistance, which will have to be reset by an authorised Service Centre. I wonder what would need to be reset? or is this just a bad translation. Any other tips or advice? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Well, with a bit more hunting around online and some tinkering, I discovered that the thermostat has a reset button, I guess designed for the very problem that I had! After resetting it, it appears I'm back to normal. Phew.

But it does raise the question of how I can safely fill the boiler without causing problems with the boiler and without causing the reset button to activate again. I have thought of disconnecting the boiler while it fills up and then reconnecting.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Once the boiler has filled barring a problem with the machine, a leak, or you manually draining the boiler the water level should there-after remain above the minimum level.

Java "FYI: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/documentat...ulti-lang.html " phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Javaphile View Post
    Once the boiler has filled barring a problem with the machine, a leak, or you manually draining the boiler the water level should there-after remain above the minimum level.

Java "FYI: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/documentat...ulti-lang.html " phile
    Thanks Javaphile. Does that mean that I can switch on the machine with the boiler empty and let the pump fill it up while at the same time the boiler element is heating up? is it possible that this could cause damage to the element before the water level fills above the element? I had initially thought that I needed to get the water level above the element before the element started heating but I can't see how that is possible with this machine. Thanks again for any tips/advice.

TC
    We disable the element on a dry fill- just to be safe

Sounds like a sensible thing to do. Thanks for your response. I appreciate it.

Next to the power switch there is a switch for the heating element. Simply switch it off until boiler has filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect View Post
    Next to the power switch there is a switch for the heating element. Simply switch it off until boiler has filled.
    Hi Perfect. I had expected to find a separate switch for the element but as far as I can tell this model (PUB VN) only has a single switch. I was planning to just disconnect a wire to the boiler until it had filled.

Hi andwilson.i have a similiar proble with my Pavoni-Hotel V..
    can u share how u manage to reset the thermostat?theres not much of manual online
    appreciate very much on ur help!

-jaja-