Thread: Rancilio Z11 Pump question

Rancilio Z11 Pump question

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Greetings solvers of all my dilemmas
    Have been given an old 2 group Z11 sans pump
    Everything else seems to work fine at mains pressure so wouldn't mind attaching a pump to see what happens
    The motor is a working ulka 1/4 HP (see attached pic) - clamp on pump attachment - my manual says it should be a flange connection and different motor so I guess it's been replaced at some stage
    Question is where might I purchase the right pump for this machine given the part referred to in the manual schematic isn't the one I'm after?

Also - It is a 20 amp machine but heated up happily on a 15 amp power point - Any potential problem other than slower heat up?
    Attached Images Attached Images

G'day mate...

I'd talk to Pedro at Coffeeparts, maybe send him an email with the photo above attached. Pretty sure he will be able to suss it out for you...

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 69strat View Post
    Question is where might I purchase the right pump for this machine given the part referred to in the manual schematic isn't the one I'm after?

Also - It is a 20 amp machine but heated up happily on a 15 amp power point - Any potential problem other than slower heat up?
    Yes, coffeeparts will have a pump. It looks like the motor will accept a typical rotoflow or procon pump with flange clamp mounting.

Regarding the 20amp vs 15amp question, yes you may have issues. What is the power rating of the heating element? Knowing this will tell you how much current it will draw at the voltage supplied. You also need to remember that when you use the motor/pump that it will draw additional current, so you may draw too much for the 15A supply, and could result in circuit breakers tripping, cables overheating, damage, fire, etc.

I believe that heating/warmup time is irrespective of the above because it's a resistive element; which (if connected correctly) at a given voltage will produce an amount of power corresponding to its resistance. Plugging it into a 15A supply doesn't mean that it produces less power from the element. It's a 20A rated machine for a reason and you need to consult an electrician / electrical engineer to assess your situation.

Disclaimer: I'm not either an electrician or electrical engineer, so seek advice from a professional. Your insurance company will look for any reason to hold you accountable if something goes wrong.

It may have had one or more of the standard heating elements disconnected to facilitate running on a 15A outlet but it would be important to verify, that if this has been done, that this has been completed in a safe and proper manner. Definitely worth getting checked out by an appropriately qualified and licensed person...

Mal.

Thanks very much - pump sorted as suggested at coffeeparts and happily enough power in the circuit to upgrade 15 amp plug to 20