• 1 Post By coffee_machinist
  • 3 Post By GregWormald
  • 3 Post By TC
  • 1 Post By Dimal

Thread: Izzo Alex Leva Vs Rocket R58 Vs La marzocco gs3

Izzo Alex Leva Vs Rocket R58 Vs La marzocco gs3

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone,

I have decided to sell my Isomac Millenium.

My initial thoughts were not to upgrade until I felt worthy of buying/using the GS3 - Parents always told me skills need to outgrow equipment before you upgrade, but i'm not sure how relevant that is in terms of coffee so I'm eager to upgrade sooner rather than later with a cheaper option.

Could I gather some thoughts on Izzo Alex Leva Vs Rocket R58.
    Which would you choose and why?
    Also, would you wait perhaps another year (required to convince the wife) and just get the GS3?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kas

TC
    Hi Kas,

There are some CS threads on all machines. FWIW, I have a GS/3 at home and would happily switch to an Alex Leva if I could get it approved!

A PID controlled dipper lever behaves very similarly to a dual boiler machine in that the water heading to the group comes from the boiler. Thermal losses on the way take care of the required temperature drop and a 1 deg C change at the PID will deliver a degree at the group. These machines are inherently very simple with little more than a boiler, autofill and the PID/SSR. This means that there is little to service other than the taps/wands/group seal and you should get a long, long life.

Pressure profiling machines such as the LM Strada EP aspire to leva profiles and are loaded with technology to do it.

Whilst R58 and GS/3 shots are terrific, Leva shots are in another league. For me, it's a no brainer and I suspect you will struggle to find a Leva owner who regrets the purchase or is looking to what's next.

I note you're in Perth- which rings water quality alarms. For most WA locations, I'd be using bottled or RO water. The flojet works well with bottled water.

Cheers

Chris

htb
    I would just wait and buy the GS3. Awesome machine.
    If you want a lever profile or whatever you can do the strada MP mod on GS3 down the track as long as you buy MP version.

I have not used the Alex Leva so cant comment on its performance but I much prefer the look of the GS3.

Hi Chris,
    Thanks for your reply. This might sound like a stupid question.
    Do you think I will notice a difference going from a millenium to a Alex leva or even a Rocket R58?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    I would just wait and buy the GS3. Awesome machine.
    If you want a lever profile or whatever you can do the strada MP mod on GS3 down the track as long as you buy MP version.
    Not exactly. There's a misconception that the Strada MP is a 'pressure profiling' machine, it's not, the group is a normal paddle group with a gauge sat on top. As such you have control over water flow on or off and pump on and off, as in any other MP la Marzocco, pressure profiling as in variable flow rate/pump pressure it ain't.

MP groups are great but if you want a leva profile, get a leva, or a Vesuvius. There is also a lot to be said about declining temperature in a leva extraction.
    TC likes this.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasra View Post
    Hi Chris,
    Thanks for your reply. This might sound like a stupid question.
    Do you think I will notice a difference going from a millenium to a Alex leva or even a Rocket R58?
    Thanks
    Hi Kas,

To an R58 you will notice the quality of the machine- both build and finish, the temperature stability and the tweakability. To the Alex Leva? A whole new universe...
    Last edited by TC; 9th March 2015 at 05:48 PM.

Hi,
    I dont know about the GS3 or R58 but I went from a Duetto 2 to a Leva over a year ago and couldn't be happier with it.
    It is very easy to produce great shots repeatedly and I live in an area where repairs mean a long transport and so the simplicity of the machine also influenced my decision
    Hope that helps
    Good luck with the decision
    Dave

Lev-er!
    Lev-er!
    Lev-er!

Sorry
    Sometime my enthusiasm gets a hold of me.

Greg
    Dimal, flynnaus and Peter42 like this.

I went from an Alex Duetto (Dr_Dave's old machine before he upgraded) to a GS3 and seriously could not be happier. Although the quality of cup out of the Duetto is very very very close to what I'm getting out of the GS3. There's no regrets or shame in something like that, you need to be a serious snob or have a good cupping ability to be able to pick differences in any machine in this league your looking at. My tip would be make sure you have a grinder that won't embarrass the machine, I was running a Mazzer Mini on my Duetto and GS3 until I recently upgraded to a Robur which has shown the biggest difference in the cup as compared to a machine upgrade. I wish I had the Robur when I was running the Duetto because I'm positive it would have been amazing either way.

TC
    I guess I am probably one of the few to have extensive experience on both.

Love my LM for the form factor which works so well in our kitchen. There is presently nothing on the market that I'd swap my Kony-E for. I would swap the GS/3 for a Speedster but that's predominately a design choice. Slayer? Meh....

Notwithstanding all of that, whenever I use any of our Izzo levas, it's a different world. The bullseye is far, far larger and much easier to hit. You can replicate the leva profile on the Vesuvius, but the shot has to be perfect. I personally still find the combo of dipper/PID and/LSM leva group is absolutely brilliant and incredibly easy- day in, day out.

I'd gladly swap our home machine for a Valchiria but my better looking other half prefers the GS/3 and I have plenty of variety to play with when "in the office"

Chris
    Dimal, chokkidog and Bazooka like this.

The Valchiria is indeed a beautiful machine but I think your previous (or current) Pompeii single group Chris, was/is a truly gorgeous piece of functional art...

Mal.
    TC likes this.