• 2 Post By Deano
  • 2 Post By TC
  • 1 Post By Deano
  • 1 Post By Deano
  • 1 Post By Pdockley

Thread: New machine purchase

New machine purchase

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone, I am looking at purchasing a new machine.

Current machine is a Silvia with Auber PID installed and it's been great, but we are making lots of milk coffees and I have approval to splurge on something better

I have narrowed down the list to the rocket r58 or the profitec pro 700. Decided to stay with dual boiler rather than HX

I ruled out the Izzo Alex duetto 3 because it looks like the cup height is limited and we have some larger glasses we use. Also the tray just looks a bit large to me from an aesthetic point of view.

The rocket is easy enough to get a look at here in Melbourne but does anyone sell the profitec here ??

And will servicing or parts be an issue for the profitec ???

Any advice from owners of either machine appreciated.

Also has anyone taken a machine with them if they moved to another country with 240/50hz ??

All comments appreciated

Budget is 3-4k

Quote Originally Posted by Pdockley View Post
    Budget is 3-4k
    For machine only? Grinder?

Hi chokkidog, machine only I already have a malkhonig vario grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Pdockley View Post
    Budget is 3-4k
    Nice budget to have. Before you knock the top end levers back ( Strega and Alex Leva) you should rethink the issue of cup height - the quality of coffee from the Strega exceptional- I'd drink it from tuna tin if I nothing else would fit.

The other question is whether your grinder is going to hold you back, depends what you have, but if it's a Rocky or similar you should upgrade to a high end grinder before upgrading to a high end machine.
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by habahabanero View Post
    Nice budget to have. Before you knock the top end levers back ( Strega and Alex Leva) you should rethink the issue of cup height - the quality of coffee from the Strega exceptional- I'd drink it from tuna tin if I nothing else would fit.

The other question is whether your grinder is going to hold you back, depends what you have, but if it's a Rocky or similar you should upgrade to a high end grinder before upgrading to a high end machine.
    Hi habahabanero, while I like the look of the leva units the SO doesn't so that was why they were out, I'm not so fussed with the cup height as long as I can fit a latte cup in as she uses it a lot for that. I'm hoping the vario will be good enough as the grinder as I like its size any thoughts ?

Keep an open mind, go and see/try as many machines as possible, in person.

Get the machine first then make a case for a grinder upgrade!! ;-) A Kony e would fit the bill.
    Last edited by chokkidog; 23rd March 2015 at 02:32 PM.
    Dimal likes this.

I was in your position 12 months ago and ended up getting a different dual boiler - the Quickmill Vetrano 2B from site sponsor The Coffee Man in Geelong. Rotary pump, plumb-able etc. I was looking at an ECM or Rocket but found the build quality to be as good or better from the Quickmill. I doubt that there would a noticeable difference in taste between any of the DB E61s so go with what you prefer. Personally, I'm loving my machine, the consistency and speed is in a different class from the Silvia.

Quote Originally Posted by chokkidog View Post
    Keep an open mind, go and see/try as many machines as possible, in person.

Get the machine first then make a case for a grinder upgrade!! ;-) A Kony e would fit the bill.
    , going to start doing the rounds trying them all out, including the currently rejected models but the profitec will prove difficult to look at unless I find one here in Melbourne.

Buy my Alex Duetto III. Great machine and a good price. Glass/cup height has not been an issue. Come over (Macleod) for a demo. Cheers Dean.
    chokkidog and TC like this.

And if you don't buy Deano's..... pm me. ;-)

Hi Pdockley i own a 700 have had for 6 weeks very happy and easy to use. reasons for buying it was the alex group head was to low and the other machine failed in the showroom. I did my research on line because they do not sell them here in Perth, Profitec are the manufacturers of ECM i believe so parts and servicing wont be an issue, in a leap of blind faith i took the plunge and i am glad i did. my 9 year old boy can use it and even the missus who said she wouldn't use it now can with out any problems. For the price i would look at water filtration for your machine witch ever you choose.

TC
    Hello Pdockley,

We have sold hundreds of Duettos and if there were any significant issues with them, I can guarantee it would be all over web forums. It isn't.

Te R58 is an excellent machine. The Duetto is an excellent machine which will easily accommodate a latte glass or something bigger if you choose to use a naked portafilter. In addition the large drip tray means that a further 10mm is easily obtained as well. Milkshake glasses? Great for milkshakes.

I have no doubt that the Profitec is also an excellent machine. The Diadema Dual boiler Rotary pump PID version? Guess what? Excellent machine. Vibiemme? Also excellent. We have a common thread happening.

How to choose? Only you can decide which set of nuances best meets your personal requirements and regardless which machine you choose, you will almost certainly have an excellent ownership experience.

If you get out and see as many of these machines as possible and speak with people with significant experience with more than just one machine, you'll be on the right pathway. FWIW, I call them as I see them- warts and all and I am confident that those who have experience with our business will agree. It's all about pros and cons. We have the Rocket on the bench and will have more Duetto stock in a couple of weeks. I've seen and played with pretty much all of the others as well. All can be used by those of your family who wish to have a go- with appropriate training.

Finally to 43bean (above). I'll let you in on a secret. Sometime machines just don't make the journey from manufacturer to importer or importer to reseller without minor glitches. It's why we bench test machines. It's also why reputable businesses bench test machines before they go to clients. For one reason or another a machine might not fire up if unboxed into a showroom without a check. It doesn't mean it's necessarily a dud, more likely that something might have moved in transit. It happens with all brands.
    Dimal and chokkidog like this.

I've put some photos of latter glasses on my for sale thread in case anyone needs confirmation.

Cheers
    Dean
    TC likes this.

I can vouch for the pre-sales service which Chris provides. When I purchased my Duetto, he had to open and test three machines before he was happy. The issues with the first two machines were minor as I understand it but Chris was not happy so they didn't go out the door.

Cheers
    Dean
    TC likes this.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    I can vouch for the pre-sales service which Chris provides. When I purchased my Duetto, he had to open and test three machines before he was happy. The issues with the first two machines were minor as I understand it but Chris was not happy so they didn't go out the door.

Cheers
    Dean
    I remember that day Dean. We named it groundhog day. I'd never had it happen before and I hope it never happens again!

These days it's rare that I have to bench test a machine. I have a brilliant tech and he gets to the overwhelming majority of them before I have the chance. He has exacting standards and that's a good, good thing.

I also endorse Dean's machine. It's a safe buy for anyone wanting a near new Duetto.

Chris

Wow what a secret.

New machine purchase

Thanks for the replies everyone, looks like the choice will be a tough one, talk_coffee when the duetto's are back in I'll arrange a time to look at both it and the r58 as well.
    TC likes this.