• 3 Post By TC
  • 7 Post By Vinitasse
  • 1 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon
  • 1 Post By neofelis
  • 2 Post By TC

Thread: Is a gs/3 for life?

Is a gs/3 for life?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My trusty breville is starting to show signs of death only after a few years. Upgradeitis is well and truly taking hold. I think i have my eyes set on the gs/3 but would like to know if i could reasonably expect it to last for 10+ years with proper maintenance? Will be pulling 2-3 shots a day + more on weekends.

I am in the process of looking for a new house at the moment so probably won't be pluming it in for a little while. I have heard it can be annoying to refill the tank, how annoying?

Haha yes, It should last you 20 years atleast. Yes, servicing will be needed through that time.

TOK
    Ah, well ...maybe, but....actually, nah...not really.

Look, there are enough experienced professional service techs that will tell you they see enough 20 year old machines that are still alive and running, but make absolute rubbish product or are just dogs to use in terms of the overall operator experience. Even many 10 year old machines fall into the same category.

And I've repaired enough old machines for owners with an emotional attachment, that should have been thrown into the bottom of the harbour regardless that they were still operating.

Its one thing to own a 1964 Cadillac and bring it out once a month for a "club" run down to the local, and another thing to use it on a daily basis to commute, and I dont see why a GS 3 should be any different to any other brand/model in that regard.

Realistically, and certainly this is only my opinion tempered from my own experiences, if I had to put an *arbitrary* or "average" figure on the life of a semi commercial machine in terms of its *best* years, I'd say around 5.

Subject of course to the individual owner's management and operational skills (ie level of care) for any individual machine. Some people are simply much harder on their equipment than others...

There is nothing beats an upgrade to a brand new machine after a few years, even if it is a similar model to the one being upgraded. Everything feels better, tighter etc etc etc.

htb
    I dont think it is annoying to fill the tank. Slide out the drip tray, slide out the resovoir, add water.
    Much better some other the machines where you have to remove the cups. You could always buy a small pump and run it from a bottle but if it is only temporary I would not bother.

Btw. From what I heard the price is due to increase next month. I am sure a site sponsor or someone in the industry can confirm.

I doubt a price increase will happen or last for long if it does. You can't put the price up on something as the consumer knows it's only worth x amount (Generally the lowest price it can be had for) Products depreciate in value not increase

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by neofelis View Post
    I doubt a price increase will happen or last for long if it does. You can't put the price up on something as the consumer knows it's only worth x amount (Generally the lowest price it can be had for) Products depreciate in value not increase
    Oh really? I'll call bollocks on that one here and now.

I can assure you that LM Australia will likely have a different opinion to you.

LM carry the lowest reseller margin in the market and I sometimes wonder why we bother selling the brand at all! If LM's price goes up, you are guaranteed that street prices will move accordingly.

Looks like we must have gone to different business schools then. Shall I toss my MBA in the bin or...?
    Oh... and how is your side job as Joe Hockey's economic advisor going?
    Dimal, chokkidog, TC and 4 others like this.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Not that I wish to jump on the rumble pile, Neofelis me old mucker, but I think you might be forgetting the 'supply' side of 'supply and demand'.

Have a good one.
    neofelis likes this.

I stand corrected!
    chokkidog likes this.

Two answers on topic. A yes and a no. Put the answer some where in the middle and go for a maybe?
    From what i can gather a gs/3 is a bit of a talking piece but i could get similar results in the 4k price range. So was curious if there was longevity in the extra money or if its just the LM brand at this point(which is a big selling point). As for a price increase i hope that comes with the ability to customise it like with the US ones!

TC
    Hello Jared.

My GS/3 is one of the first LM paddle versions produced. It's well over 5 years old and performs just as well as the day I purchased it.

Like any other non-appliance espresso machine, if you do your bit on hygiene, water quality and service, you should expect a long life from it.

Customisation? You bet. I have a beautiful set of wenge side panels which I am going to sell soon. Time for the next look...

Cheers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Hello Jared.

My GS/3 is one of the first LM paddle versions produced. It's well over 5 years old and performs just as well as the day I purchased it.

Like any other non-appliance espresso machine, if you do your bit on hygiene, water quality and service, you should expect a long life from it.

Customisation? You bet. I have a beautiful set of wenge side panels which I am going to sell soon. Time for the next look...

Cheers

Chris
    What has the cost of services been in that lifetime? Have you had to go with out your machine at any point in time?
    Ah i was thinking something more akin to Custom GS3 | La Marzocco Where you can customise to order.

TC
    Hi Jared.

I find I never get quite a year from the paddle o-rings so you can assume that these and the group seal are routine service (factor an hour).

In addition, we have done the anti-vac and something else which was relatively minor. There was a leak which drowned the control board, but it luckily survived.

Other than these issues and the usual lubrication- plain sailing.

Customisation- timber everything is available in Australia and is way better too. LM glass panels? Better consult your financier. I enquired and a set was well into four figures. I'm sure you could do your own on a much lower spend.

Hi Jared.

I find I never get quite a year from the paddle o-rings so you can assume that these and the group seal are routine service (factor an hour).

In addition, we have done the anti-vac and something else which was relatively minor. There was a leak which drowned the control board, but it luckily survived.

Other than these issues and the usual lubrication- plain sailing.

Customisation- timber everything is available in Australia and is way better too. LM glass panels? Better consult your financier. I enquired and a set was well into four figures. I'm sure you could do your own on a much lower spend.
    That seems relatively easy. As long as i don't have to send away to get them fixed. Happy to tinker.

Was hoping for just the solid black all around. Do you know if thats possible?

Finally, going to be down in Melbourne next month do you by have one in your store i could play with?

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredw View Post
    That seems relatively easy. As long as i don't have to send away to get them fixed. Happy to tinker.

Was hoping for just the solid black all around. Do you know if thats possible?
    Yes- black can be done- demo not at this stage but doable- email me.

TC
    I doubt a price increase will happen...
    It is happening and is effective from Monday 4th May. Factor in about 5% on GS/3

As others have said with proper maintenance you should get a few solid years out of it before upgradeitis sets in.

5% increase - not too bad imho considering if you already forking out $7K+ for this unit.

I have a paddle version which I took to Saudi for a few years before bringing it home when it got its first professiinal service. I had done the regular maintenance myself and always used filtered water. The service revealed no issues. Since then I did the strada grouphead upgrade and it is now well over 5 tears old, bumps out beautiful coffee in the cup daily and always works hardrr on weekends. I would estimate its time in Saudi to be making 5 to 10 cups a day (3 years there) and since coming home 2 a day except weekends when it is back around the 10 cups. The water is easy to fill, especially when compared to my old VBM and it can be plumbed in if you dont want to use the reservoir.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigman40 View Post
    I have a paddle version which I took to Saudi for a few years before bringing it home when it got its first professiinal service. I had done the regular maintenance myself and always used filtered water. The service revealed no issues. Since then I did the strada grouphead upgrade and it is now well over 5 tears old, bumps out beautiful coffee in the cup daily and always works hardrr on weekends. I would estimate its time in Saudi to be making 5 to 10 cups a day (3 years there) and since coming home 2 a day except weekends when it is back around the 10 cups. The water is easy to fill, especially when compared to my old VBM and it can be plumbed in if you dont want to use the reservoir.
    Thanks! This is exactly the information i was looking for. I went into LM sydney and had a play with one and had a chat to their RD guy who informed me of the strada grouphead mod amongst others. Few stories similar to yours. People coming in for their first service after 5-6 years and a few seals and o rings replaced here and there and good as new. He also mentioned that they have improved the quality of a few of the degradable parts so they should last even longer now.

Just to let you know, I have read elsewhere that the Strada mod doesnt work if not plumbed in. Mine has never been plumbed (was in work supplied accom so no cuting holes in benchtops allowed) and you can pre-infuse and hold at what pressure you like. It is however very small increment to move a big jump on the guage (I find myself changing pressure by tapping the paddle with my finger. You will top up the water more frequently though as the excess water flows straight to the drain.

Talking I hoped so...

the GS/3 is a great machine, but as everything else typically Italian, there are issues. The valves is not working as it should and needs to be replaced. The last repair of the machine (motherboard needs to be replaced) costed $1.500 (US). Again, ITS a great machine and I (and my wife) would would by it again, but you will have to expected some repair bills.

Quote Originally Posted by espen3232 View Post
    the GS/3 is a great machine, but as everything else typically Italian, there are issues. The valves is not working as it should and needs to be replaced. The last repair of the machine (motherboard needs to be replaced) costed $1.500 (US). Again, ITS a great machine and I (and my wife) would would by it again, but you will have to expected some repair bills.
    I keep hearing this, but i need a new hobby learning how to repair a machine seems fun.

I am stuck on what to buy, the gs/3 seems like it will last me a long time and give me consistent coffee while the Vesuvius will give me the constant need to change my variables to chase that perfect shot(or madness).

Quote Originally Posted by jaredw View Post
    I keep hearing this, but i need a new hobby learning how to repair a machine seems fun.

I am stuck on what to buy, the gs/3 seems like it will last me a long time and give me consistent coffee while the Vesuvius will give me the constant need to change my variables to chase that perfect shot(or madness).
    Another way of look at it, Vesuvius will give consistent coffee with options to change variables to chase that perfect shot. The great thing is either machines can deliver awesome coffees in the right hand. Please let us know how you go

Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka View Post
    Another way of look at it, Vesuvius will give consistent coffee with options to change variables to chase that perfect shot. The great thing is either machines can deliver awesome coffees in the right hand. Please let us know how you go
    I am leaning more towards the gs/3 at this stage as even though its a bit more money. I know that there is a steady supply of LM parts walking distance from me. I am not sure what would happen if the vesuvius was to break down? Perhaps have to ship it down to talkcoffee for repairs, that right there will add up in shipping pretty quickly.

TC
    It's all academic. Only the end user can determine which machine is the "right" one.

We get PID dual boiler machines in for service all the time. Most are running at default settings- effectively emulating their HX siblings. Their owners could have purchased HX machines, pocketed the diff and would probably have been just as happy- but for one reason or another made their decision and live with it. Vesuvius? Great machine. Levers? Great machines. GS3? Great machine. There are plenty of others which could be added to this list.

It's all about finding your best match as after all, you will be the one who has to live with it. Only you can decide. Don't worry too much about what the internet experts think as there are only opinions.
    Dimal and TOK like this.

It's all academic. Only the end user can determine which machine is the "right" one.

We get PID dual boiler machines in for service all the time. Most are running at default settings- effectively emulating their HX siblings. Their owners could have purchased HX machines, pocketed the diff and would probably have been just as happy- but for one reason or another made their decision and live with it. Vesuvius? Great machine. Levers? Great machines. GS3? Great machine. There are plenty of others which could be added to this list.

It's all about finding your best match as after all, you will be the one who has to live with it. Only you can decide. Don't worry too much about what the internet experts think as there are only opinions.
    Yup! This is the problem. I would love to spend a week with each. I keep fearing I will outlay the 5k+ and end up wondering what if...
    So i am trying to be as objective as I can, considering service cost, warranty claims and the like as you said, at the end of the day they are all great machines.

TC
    Well if you are in Melbourne, you can spend an hour with each of them. Both are on our demo bench.