Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By artman
  • 1 Post By artman

Thread: Faema E98 A1

Faema E98 A1

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ok may be a silly question but recnetly when i turn the machine on in the morning it heats up to stand pressure on the gauge read out after approx 30 mins.

I can then press the button to pull a shot and the pressure rapidly drops and doesnt come out steaming hot as usual. But as soon as i press the steam wand switch the pressure drops to 0 and the element starts to heat up again. I have had to do this every morning for the last 2 weeks. Id like to have a go at fixing this myself as im not scared to pull it apart. Any help would be brilliant thanks.

OOmickOO,
    Seems you have the same problem my LaCimbali M27 commercial machine has ,which is a failing Anti-vac valve.
    Either you replace it or try to repair it,pretty common item....replacement would be easier/quicker.
    I haven't bothered with mine as yet as I have my machine here at home,I'm never in a hurry,I usually just wait for it to finally operate,usually just the once then it remains sealed and retains pressure.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Mick.

Also, try googling 'false pressure'. The issue is discussed in other forums including home-barista.

I have a very similar issue and replaced the O ring in the anti vac valve on the Faema with a viton O ring(Supposed to handle higher temps) from a bearing shop. The original was a normal black O ring which I replaced with a viton. This lasted approx 6 months before the same issue happened and I just replaced it again. There are replacement anti vac valves with teflon inserts but when I did the research they seemed to only last approx 6 -12 months before becoming "sticky".

For the price of a new O ring every six months I'm Ok with replacing just the O ring. It takes approximately 5 minutes to do.

I wonder if there are silicon O rings that will last longer.

Whenever I rebuild anti-vac valves I use silicone o-rings. Some that I did years ago are still working fine.
    The operating temperature of silicone can be up to 300C whereas I think viton maxes out at around 230C.

A new anti-vac valve from coffeeparts is only $12.50 so it's hardly worth the effort to rebuild them to be honest.

Thanks so much guys, i had a feeling it was the anti vac valve, do you know where i can get some silicon O rings in perth or even online ?

Hi Mick

Sounds like anti vac valve. Seems like its closed shut. Pull the top off and press the middle of it down (small nut on a shaft). If it pops down then turn on machine. When boiler starts to boil it should pop closed.

If it doesn't seal it will hiss steam. That's what normally happens when the o ring perishes.

You can get a new complete valve like mentioned or give it a clean and replace the o ring. Pretty sure there were a couple of spares in the bits I gave you.

They were normal black ones but the higher temp versions are a good idea. They are only a few cents each, I got them from a bearing supplier in osborne park on king edward street from memory. Take the valve with you if you decide to go this way.

Cheers
    mulquemi and 00mick00 like this.

Cheers art,

Ended up unbolting the whole valve off the machine, pulled it apart O ring was ok so dunked it in some CLR for 5 mins and then hit it with a bit of emry cloth and put it all back together. Works like a charm now thanks for all the help guys.

Good stuff. Yep, they are a very simple device and easy to get to and fix/replace.

The o ring I replaced originally lasted 3 years from memory, so you should have another 2 years left!

Cheers
    mulquemi likes this.