Thread: Carimali Beta E2

Carimali Beta E2

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi there!
    Got myself a nice Carimali and Rossi grinder to go with it. Despite having to change pump main switch and seals, I am still reasonably happy with the purchase. Pump was shot for lack of use and so was the switch.

The technician that serviced the machine was unable to measure the water pressure since his pressure gauge was attached to a handle with two lugs, and Carimali has 3 lugs. Attempts to use one of my handles failed because the water, with nowhere to go finds its way between the basket and the handle and leaks out and the pressure can not be measured.

Question:
    How can I measure the pressure? Is there a way to seal the basket to the handle? The edge of the basket holder is thin so an O ring don't seem to be the answer. I suppose I could get an old handle and hard solder a basket to it, but this seem a bit extreme. Any suggestion appreciated. Also...if I wanted to fit a permanent pressure gauge where would I T off?

Hooroo
    Marc

You take the filter basket out before measuring group head pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    You take the filter basket out before measuring group head pressure.
    The handle does not seal without a basket, way too loose.
    I read somewhere that one can seal the basket to the handle with teflon tape around the sides of the basket. The dude that came should have known how to do it. Surely there are enough Carimali around.

Any idea how to fit a permanent pressure gage?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
    The handle does not seal without a basket, way too loose.
    I read somewhere that one can seal the basket to the handle with teflon tape around the sides of the basket. The dude that came should have known how to do it. Surely there are enough Carimali around.

Any idea how to fit a permanent pressure gage?
    Really? I don't know enough about this type of Carimali. Is it not a 58mm portafilter? Did the tech replace the group head gasket?

Yes, gasket are new. The basket adds easy 2mm to the edge of the handle, so how can it seal without it?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
    Yes, gasket are new. The basket adds easy 2mm to the edge of the handle, so how can it seal without it?
    Normally you just turn the handle further until you get a seal, but the 3 lug configuration might eliminate this possibility. Sorry I can't help more.

Hi, I have the same problem and you are correct in that you must have a basket fitted. I have fitted a pressure gauge to a group handle and it leaks like a sieve around the group seal. there is a stop in the group head and that limits the rotation of the handle. a spacer is available and fits under the group seal. this is to compensate for wear in the head/handle. I have ordered this spacer myself, from coffee-spares on ebay but await its delivery. you will need a good seal also to do a back flush. hope this helps. Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by bobelis View Post
    Hi, I have the same problem and you are correct in that you must have a basket fitted. I have fitted a pressure gauge to a group handle and it leaks like a sieve around the group seal. there is a stop in the group head and that limits the rotation of the handle. a spacer is available and fits under the group seal. this is to compensate for wear in the head/handle. I have ordered this spacer myself, from coffee-spares on ebay but await its delivery. you will need a good seal also to do a back flush. hope this helps. Bob.
    Yes, I have since discovered that Coffee Parts, sells a purposely built 3 lugs handle with a pressure gage built in, and with the edges higher so that it seals without a basket.
    Portafilter with gauge - Portafilters | Coffee Parts