• 2 Post By TC
  • 1 Post By herzog
  • 1 Post By Melbroaster

Thread: Best brands and models for bar/ restaurant

Cal

Best brands and models for bar/ restaurant

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post! I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts and I love how generous everyone is with their advice. Hopefully I can be like that too on this forum...once I have some knowledge to offer!

We are about to open a bar/ restaurant in Melbourne. Obviously we need a coffee machine but we are unsure of volume at this stage which makes deals with coffee suppliers difficult/ impossible. We will be open mostly nights and weekends all day from 10 with coffee and special items (these are a secret), but won't be serving breakfast in the beginning. We plan to expand the hours to weekend breakfast in the first few months, but it's baby steps to begin with. After that, possibly breakfast weekdays if we get a foothold on weekends.

Coffee isn't going to be our main focus in terms of revenue streams for the first few months, but we'd like to have the option in the near future. It's a bet each way, I know!

We have a budget of between $1000-3000 including a grinder. Second hand is the plan as long as service history is good. We'd prefer a good, reliable brand and model - of course! Ideally it will look good on the end of the bar too, but we can compromise on this as the rest of the fit out is hand built and beautiful (I'm biased, I know...) and the machine won't be the main focus aesthetically. Most people i've spoken to have recommended a 2 group for what we want, but we don't have a preference between 2 or 3 group. The glass half full person in me says 3 group for future growth, the realist says that 2 will be fine for the short-medium term - and if things are going well we can upgrade.

So, what i'd like to know is this: (keeping in mind that we will be buying used, not new)

1. What brands and models are recommended with good reputations?
    2. Which brands have good service and parts available?
    3. How long do machines last, as in will a machine that is 15 years old perform like one that is 3 years old - assuming good servicing etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Cal

Welcome to CS Cal.

You will need to rethink your coffee strategy.

Your budget..........

Have you considered Silverchef?

Pm me if you want a serious chat.
    Vinitasse likes this.

TC
    Welcome Cal,

I hate to say this, but I find threads like this perplexing...

Are you also allocating $5000 for the entire kitchen and fitout?

I'd like to hope you have established a business plan for this venture and costed all requirements appropriately. I fear that if you have allocated funds to this venture as you have for your espresso fitout, you are destined to failure.

Perhaps it's time to revisit the drawing board as the coffee side of things is 110% unrealistic. A coffee reputation can be blown in a week, so it's best to do it right or please don't bother. There is plenty of decidedly average out there and we certainly don't need any more. Joe Average is far better educated than he was 10 years ago.

Chris
    Last edited by TC; 28th August 2015 at 08:32 PM. Reason: tpyo
    chokkidog and Vinitasse like this.

Cal
    Thanks for your time. As mentioned, we are not a cafe or coffee bar nor are we trying to be. Perhaps I didn't make this clear enough.

There had been previous threads where people had asked about a which was the best brand/ model machine within a certain price range. Again, perhaps my questions at the bottom of the post weren't clear enough.

Thanks again for your replies. I will speak to some other people.

TC
    Hi Cal,

Yes- that might be a good idea as $1-$3k is not a realistic budget for any sort of reliable 2 group machine and grinder. Try $10k upwards instead- but what would I know?
    Last edited by TC; 29th August 2015 at 09:10 AM.

In all honesty, that budget for machine and grinder needs to be quadrupled.
    TC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Thanks for your time. As mentioned, we are not a cafe or coffee bar nor are we trying to be. Perhaps I didn't make this clear enough.

There had been previous threads where people had asked about a which was the best brand/ model machine within a certain price range. Again, perhaps my questions at the bottom of the post weren't clear enough.

Thanks again for your replies. I will speak to some other people.
    I think the problem with the answers is that you set the budget too low for a reply as none of the good brands would be in the price range. If you had left out the budget figure then we might have been able to respond. To give you an example. Now I am just a home coffee maker two flat whites a day. My home HX espresso and Mazzar grinder cost new around $5,500 (but it saves $3500 a year). You would certainly need a bigger espresso machine. Now on top of that for second hand you would have to budget for increased service and repair costs because essentially the unit would be well worn and steam is not kind. Then there is the water filtering and probably at least a 15amp dedicated power supply. I hope you can see how hard it is to answer the questions at the bottom of your OP.
    At my work we have a similar HX espresso machine but a cheaper grinder, I have been able to make 8 to 12 top notch flat whites at one time the new cost of this set up $3,800 (on sale) excluding all the extras. This is not constant use just one hour twice a week.

Realistically there is no espresso based answer that is going to make any sense at the price. The best answer would be 8 behmor brazens from Andy and spend the rest on a sparkie to fit the additional power points 😀
    Dimal likes this.