• 1 Post By LeroyC
  • 2 Post By 260zman
  • 1 Post By Javaphile
  • 2 Post By MorganGT

Thread: Machine Identification

Question Machine Identification

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello!

My friend has offered me a machine for a few hundred dollars, but it's unbranded and I'm wary of the design, etc.

Has anyone seen one of these machines before, or knows anything about it? I just don't want it to end up being a clone or a lower end machine.
    It would be my first proper machine, and I'm pretty excited about the upgrade!

Thanks!
    260zman likes this.

Faema Due. I assume it's for home use if so hope you have a 20amp power outlet.

Yep, Faema Due D92/A2. I'm sure you know that it's a full commercial machine, so it will need to be plumbed in for both water supply and waste (although it is possible to drain the drip tray straight into a container, just don't forget to empty it). You'll need a clean water supply of some sort, so either an inline filter or something similar and you won't be able to draw water from a container as the pumps on the Faema Dues aren't capable of suction. If you need to set up like this then you'll need an extra external pump. And as stated above you'll need a 20A power supply. It's just single phase, but make sure your circuit is capable of supplying this amount of power and that you have a 25A circuit breaker/RCD. They are kick arse machines capable of excellent extractions with heaps of steam power. You'll need a decent grinder too to be able to get the best out of the Faema. I'd say something like a Compak K3 as an absolute minimum, but a Mazzer SJ is probably a better fit. Good luck with it all, if you can set it up right you'll be the envy of all your coffee drinking mates. I wish I still had my A1 cause I've got the space for it at my new place. Oh well.
    260zman likes this.

Yep, great machine. Most have cracked side panels, but this one looks pretty good. I have in my collection about 4 or 5 of these.
    LeroyC and oliviaarlianto like this.

From the photos it seems one lever is missing

Thanks to Rolf you can now find the user/installation manual for this machine in the documentation section.

Java "Docs are good!" phile
    LeroyC likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by saoye View Post
    That will have been removed intentionally I imagine as I can't see a hot water spout on that side. For domestic use I'd recommend having steam on one side and hot water on the other and just one lever on each side for these functions.

Quote Originally Posted by Javaphile View Post
    Thanks to Rolf you can now find the user/installation manual for this machine in the documentation section.

Java "Docs are good!" phile
    Excellent. That will be very useful for the OP if they go ahead. The instructions are for the Due Smart, but they should transfer to the Due D92/A2 for the most part.
    Last edited by LeroyC; 5th September 2015 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by saoye View Post
    That's standard on most Dues you come across, it appears that slot was provided for another (possibly optional) tap that is not fitted to the machine - at least not on any Dues I have seen. Sometimes they have a plastic blanking plate that clips into the slot for the missing tap lever. The missing tap appears listed in the manual as being for a 'cappucino maker', which may have been something like the Rancilio steamer jug (an external jug resembling a cordless kettle, with a braided hose running from the steam arm connection on a steam tap to a base for the jug that had a valve in it that opened when the jug was placed on its base.

A bit of relevant trivia - the steam taps used on Synesso machines are actually Faema Due taps - they are fitted upside down and sideways in a Synesso, with the wand coming out the top.
    It's surprising how much Faema design has migrated into other brands - the La Marzocco Linea tap design came from Faema, and the same basic tap design appears in Expobars, SABs, San Remos and a whole bunch of other machines.
    Dimal and 260zman like this.

The extra space was blanked off on mine.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441417725.197638.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys! Ended up picking it up for a good price, now I've got fun like this in store for me...

Also, mine does have something in the empty slot, missing the little handle section. I didn't take any photos of it, but it looks like some kind of water dispenser, but missing the swivel section. (there's a screw section left, with holes in the sides and o-rings on it)