Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By Mouldy
  • 1 Post By Mouldy

Thread: FAEMA E-61 through coffee suppliers?

FAEMA E-61 through coffee suppliers?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone,

A friend of myne is opening a cafe in Melbourne early 2016, I know a lot more about coffee than he does so I'm helping out with the coffee setup.
    He's keen on a Faema E61, for the looks and reputation!
    I've advised him that getting an old 'original' model will be tricky and expensive, so looking at the newer LEGEND versions.
    Does anybody know which coffee companies supply these machines in Australia? Specifically Melbourne if possible.
    Looking to get a machine through a coffee supply agreement.
    I believe that Vittoria do, but their coffee has a pretty poor reputation so not keen on sourcing one through them.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by bodysuitman View Post
    Hi everyone,

A friend of myne is opening a cafe in Melbourne early 2016, I know a lot more about coffee than he does so I'm helping out with the coffee setup.
    I've advised him that getting an old 'original' model will be tricky and expensive, so looking at the newer LEGEND versions.
    Does anybody know which coffee companies supply these machines in Australia? Specifically Melbourne if possible.
    Looking to get a machine through a coffee supply agreement.
    I believe that Vittoria do, but their coffee has a pretty poor reputation so not keen on sourcing one through them.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Yeppers- if you want one "free on loan", it will be via Vittoria.

It's not hard to source and then do a restoration on an original. We had a ripper and since I sold it, it's still being used each day in a cafe.

We can source a legend- if your mate decides that he cares about the coffee and wants to put his hand in his pocket. Companies like SilverChef will also provide funding.

Cheers

Chris

Wondering whats your friend budget for the machine?

Quote Originally Posted by bodysuitman View Post
    Hi everyone,

Howdy,
    I have an original 1960's 2 group E61 that I purchased from the original owner in Italy and I have painstakingly restored it. Not sure if I would ever sell it, but never say never. Functions perfectly, complete with the original mercury tilt pressure switch. Happy to help with info if you are considering sourcing a vintage original.
    Ciao

Hi Mouldy, can you post few pictures of the machine your are talking about, love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by summercrema View Post
    Hi Mouldy, can you post few pictures of the machine your are talking about, love to see it.
    Not the best photos but this is my mid 1960's vintage E61. I purchased from the original owner who bought it new in the 60's. Completely original, with the only exception being a new custom made neon tube backlight, and commercial mini power supply. I couldn't bring myself to use a modern L.E.D backlight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mouldy, you got a nice piece of history there, can you achieve good micro foam with its four holes steam tip?

Quote Originally Posted by summercrema View Post
    Mouldy, you got a nice piece of history there, can you achieve good micro foam with its four holes steam tip?
    To be honest I haven't played much with it since I finished the restoration, but initial attempts weren't great as she has copious amounts of steam power even at a boiler pressure of 0.8 to 0.9 bar.

I'm sure that in the hands of a capable barista it would be no problem.

Extractions have been great however.
    sprezzatura likes this.

I would have to agree with you. While the vintage E61 is awesome, I would not use it in a commercial setting. At least if it's going to be used heavily. It would be nice to have on display but just like a classic car, you don't want to drive it to work every day. I can source most any coffee machine. Many coffee companies can. Vittoria isn't the only company that can get a hold of Faema. I'm not sure why anyone chooses the big companies as a coffee supplier if they are wanting to do a legit cafe. The big companies really don't care what they associate themselves with. Personally, I wouldn't choose a coffee supplier that sells to take away and fish and chip shops as well as cafes. I wouldn't want to be associated with take away for fish and chips. That's just my opinion.