• 9 Post By TC
  • 1 Post By TC

Thread: Rocket R60V- Straight from HOST

TC

Rocket R60V- Straight from HOST

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    R60V.jpgR60V 2.jpg

Guesstimated pricing $6kish AUD

The R 60V features a unique pressure profile system that allows further enhancement in the cup with the ability to fine tune pump pressure over the course of the extraction.

The Rocket Espresso pressure profiling system uses a five step approach to allow the extraction to be split into five different time intervals, each allowing for a different pressure to be programmed, making it possible to both ramp up or ramp down pump pressure depending on the coffee type and flavours being chased.

The Rocket Espresso communication pod allows adjustments to be made through a remote controller or through the machine wifi system which will display real time temperatures, pressures and extraction times.

Dual boiler and PID controlled. Rotary pump with water reservoir or direct water connection.

Looks great, I wonder if I can trade in my R58!

Has anyone had a chance to compare to the Vesuvius? I see Talk Coffee has them both on their website so was just hoping to hear some impressions/comparisons.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki23 View Post
    Has anyone had a chance to compare to the Vesuvius? I see Talk Coffee has them both on their website so was just hoping to hear some impressions/comparisons.
    Not yet. A tiny quantity have come into Australia and nobody except us (at this point) will have both. To the best of my knowledge, only one Australian unit will go to a new owner from this current shipment.

Time permitting, I'll have a play next week.

Very interested to hear initial thoughts on this one

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Time permitting, I'll have a play next week.
    Just wondering if you had a chance to compare these two as yet? Sorry if I am being pushy.

Have seen the insides of the R60V in a Youtube video linked on another site and the method of profiling control (the valve) looks quite different to the Vesuvius.

TC
    Hi Loki,

The R60 only just made it to our demo bench on Tuesday (after we had a look under its covers).

There are jobs (potential repairs) that I am not looking forward to on either machine, but that said, the plumb pathway of the Rocket is more complex. They have lots of solenoids and there are t-pieces galore. The Vesuvius is simpler internally. R60 steam identical to the R58. The machine is broadly based on R58 architecture so pressure profiling is an addition to the basic layout.

Methods- yes needle valve/rotary pump (R60V) v variable speed gear pump (Vesuvius) but I doubt that this will lead to much difference in the cup.

R60V IOS app is still clunky (and that's me being diplomatic) and I suspect we'll have to wait on app V2.0 for a version which actually works. Android software seems better. Our Sydney client (1st Australian machine in the wild) is observing similar irritations with changes made on the app not actually updating to the machine.

I'm hoping to have time to dial in a grinder to deliver the same dose with same portafilters, program the exact same profile and run some side by sides tomorrow. To come, some Scace interrogation to see where groups are actually at. Rocket displays raw brew boiler temp v offset temp in the Vesuvius, so we need to see how they both compare at zero offset.

Vesuvius steam is higher pressure at the tip due to larger holes. That said, both are fine.

Cheers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Hi Loki,

The R60 only just made it to our demo bench on Tuesday (after we had a look under its covers).

There are jobs (potential repairs) that I am not looking forward to on either machine, but that said, the plumb pathway of the Rocket is more complex. They have lots of solenoids and there are t-pieces galore. The Vesuvius is simpler internally. R60 steam identical to the R58. The machine is broadly based on R58 architecture so pressure profiling is an addition to the basic layout.

Methods- yes needle valve/rotary pump (R60V) v variable speed gear pump (Vesuvius) but I doubt that this will lead to much difference in the cup.

R60V IOS app is still clunky (and that's me being diplomatic) and I suspect we'll have to wait on app V2.0 for a version which actually works. Android software seems better. Our Sydney client (1st Australian machine in the wild) is observing similar irritations with changes made on the app not actually updating to the machine.

I'm hoping to have time to dial in a grinder to deliver the same dose with same portafilters, program the exact same profile and run some side by sides tomorrow. To come, some Scace interrogation to see where groups are actually at. Rocket displays raw brew boiler temp v offset temp in the Vesuvius, so we need to see how they both compare at zero offset.

Vesuvius steam is higher pressure at the tip due to larger holes. That said, both are fine.

Cheers

Chris
    Hi Chris

Thanks for that detailed response. Probably eliminates the R60V from consideration for the time being at least.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki23 View Post
    Hi Chris

Thanks for that detailed response. Probably eliminates the R60V from consideration for the time being at least.
    Fair enough Loki,

I think (as always) that the best way is to sample both real world. Both are great machines. Bottom line is that you are the one who needs to live with your machine, so what suits others may not suit you.

We have variously had clients (with the means to do so) who have sold rocket to go vesuvius, sold vesuvius to go GS3, sold vesuvius to go Rocket.

To the best of my knowledge, the only Aussies to experience both Vesuvius and R60V are our Sydney client (he's a CS'er but not often seen here) and myself.

For those shopping in this price range where it's incremental gain and then only if all the planets align, I would strongly encourage you to allow some hands on with your candidates so that you can make your own decision. In some cases, that might even require a flight, but if you're seriously contemplating such big $$$ on a machine it's probably money well spent.

I wouldn't be swayed by the opinions of those who may not have even seen 'em in the metal nor used them...

Cheers

Chris
    Dimal likes this.

TC
    We're pleased to announce that more stock of the Rocket Espresso R60V pressure profiling machine has arrived and is available for purchase.

It's on our demo bench and the great thing is that it can be an R58 and then with the press of a button, you have a completely different result in the cup!

If you're looking for the ultimate, this one should be sampled....
    R60V-2.jpg