• 1 Post By Vinitasse
  • 1 Post By Pejtan
  • 1 Post By Pejtan
  • 1 Post By Pejtan
  • 1 Post By Pejtan

Thread: La San Marco 85 Flexa E - adjustment of boler temp question

La San Marco 85 Flexa E - adjustment of boler temp question

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Does anyone know what the so called Palm Unit is that is required to set/adjust the boiler temp? I cannot find any info about this unit on the www which is strange. I have heard that some persons buy this machine with this unit installed and that its a add on extra. Pls help!

I also read a thread from AdrianN where he said that its easy to change the pressurized portafilter basket to std but that it required an easy valve removal, does someone have experience from this?

/P

I have one of the mysterious "Palm Units" and it never comes included with the machine... it is a fully optional extra and costs around $400. Talk to your local Segafredo Zanetti dealer/rep and they should be able to help you out (Segafredo owns La San Marco).

As for the pressurized valve, simply remove the spout from the basket, then using a wrench undo the hex nut and then remove the plastic valve from inside. Put everything back together and... voila... you now have an unpressurized basket
    Dimal likes this.

Hi Vinitasse, I read that you have one of the few 'modified' Flexaś. Thanks for the info! Have you had good use of the Palm unit or is the machine good enough as is?
    Pressurized vs. Modified basket,what difference can I expect?

(i am just about to pick up my Flexa today. My first purchase of a more serious machine...) :-)

Thanks/P

The machine makes fantastic coffee as is and I would always suggest learning and mastering your new machine before tweaking too many of the available variables. Tweaking brew temp, etc... is something you can play with later on.

Get rid of the valve immediately... unless you are planning on using your shiny new, expensive toy on pre-ground stale coffee.. or... horror of horrors... pods

Question Problem with valve or pump pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinitasse View Post
    The machine makes fantastic coffee as is and I would always suggest learning and mastering your new machine before tweaking too many of the available variables. Tweaking brew temp, etc... is something you can play with later on.

Get rid of the valve immediately... unless you are planning on using your shiny new, expensive toy on pre-ground stale coffee.. or... horror of horrors... pods

I got the machine today, its a second hand demo from a retailer closing down the business... As new outside and inside, probably used at one or two occasions max. I had some problems initially after filling up with water in the tank, grinding some beans, tamping carefully and mounted the handle...no coffee even ifo I could hear the pump working. So, open the sides and top just to find a shiny new interior. Both pumps works and after some knocking on motor, solenoid valves I finally got a creamy espresso. It works sometiimes and sometimes not. Its almost as it don't have enough pressure. If I remove the handle it rains hot water from the upper filter when the pump works, every time! But with a filled porta filter in place nothing happens. The manometer is only for the boiler pressure as I understand and that is on green. Could the reason be because of the pressure valve in the porta filter (silicon gasket with a cut cross in the center) or could the motor be to weak? I have hard time to believe that something could be broken on such a new machine (in such good shape...the machine is actually from 2008). Oh, when i tried several times without sucess, I found that the spill water tank was almost full, which for me indicates that he pump works.
    are there any valves in the boiler head that I can check?

Best regards/P

As stated before, remove the valve from the portafilter... it is not needed

Secondly... grind your coffee a little more coarsely

Ok, will do! The only thing nagging me is that the machine should work with the std setup, or!? What could be the reason for no coffee coming through?
    i will definately go for the non-pressurized, I just love to learn and to dig deep into my interests... I am just worried that the pump does not give the right pressure, can this be checket somehow, easily?
    I got a San Marco grinder as well so I will have great fun to fin the right settings. Later I will go for a bottom-less porta... :-)
    Thanks/P

Quote Originally Posted by Pejtan View Post
    Ok, will do! The only thing nagging me is that the machine should work with the std setup, or!? What could be the reason for no coffee coming through?
    i will definately go for the non-pressurized, I just love to learn and to dig deep into my interests... I am just worried that the pump does not give the right pressure, can this be checket somehow, easily?
    I got a San Marco grinder as well so I will have great fun to fin the right settings. Later I will go for a bottom-less porta... :-)
    Thanks/P
    What city are you based in?

Oh, even if I only use the portafilter without coffee inside, it will not let through any water... Something is fishy!

The OPV will be working overtime if you've overdosed the portafilter with coffee that has been ground far too finely

Dose less, grind coarser until the coffee flows and then adjust until you're getting a fantastic tasting shot

Quote Originally Posted by Libertyrx1 View Post
    What city are you based in?
    Stockholm, Sweden...

Stockholm, Sweden...

Oh ok. Was hoping if you were Sydney I could help you out. I know you will enjoy the machine

The OPV will be working overtime if you've overdosed the portafilter with coffee that has been ground far too finely

Dose less, grind coarser until the coffee flows and then adjust until you're getting a fantastic tasting shot
    OPV? (I am a beginner...Operating Pressure Valve?) :-)

Good tips! I do think my grains are far to fine since I used to have a budget Isomac before and unless fine grains it pulls a shot in 5 seconds...

Else this seems to be a fantastic machine, built like a tank, easy to open up and not so cramped inside! The main problem with a new machine is that its easy to have 20 shots/day...I will be like a Duracell rabbit during Christmas!
    Vinitasse likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertyrx1 View Post
    Oh ok. Was hoping if you were Sydney I could help you out. I know you will enjoy the machine
    That was really kind of you, thanks! It's difficult to find good swedish forums, the country is to small for that, but I was lucky to find this one, seems to be quite a bunch with the same interest of perfection! :-)

Later I will go for a bottom-less porta... :-)

Hej!

Pretty sure that such a thing does NOT exist. The Flexa has a completely different grouphead to anything else in the LSM range. All the other machines use deep 53mm baskets and the Flexa has its own very unique 57mm design and is not compatible with any basket out there as the basket is integrated into the portafilter.

In any event.. .enjoy your new toy!

God Jul och Gott Nytt År

Cheers,
    Bruce
    (a Swedish Canadian living in Australia) :-)

Hej!

Pretty sure that such a thing does NOT exist. The Flexa has a completely different grouphead to anything else in the LSM range. All the other machines use deep 53mm baskets and the Flexa has its own very unique 57mm design and is not compatible with any basket out there as the basket is integrated into the portafilter.

In any event.. .enjoy your new toy!

God Jul och Gott Nytt År

Cheers,
    Bruce
    (a Swedish Canadian living in Australia) :-)
    Ok, that make sense and was new to me and the main reason for a bottomless filter (except for taste) is the beautiful crema flow as I have seen on Youtube lately. To be able to get excellent espressos was the main reason for getting this hefty piece of equipment and I am sure it will deliver. The valves/filters are removed now and today I will measure the pump pressure just to be sure that everything is in good order. Do you have any pictures of the Palm unit? That would be nice to see, or if you just can explain what it is (is it just an electronic board mounted in or a plug in unit?)

Austrailian swedish canadian, sounds like an adventure :-) So far we have not had any snow at all in Stockholm, today we have some +8 degrees and we will have the warmest Christmas since 200 years. A couple of days ago it was warmer than last Midsomer. I guess it has to do with global heating...

God Jul & Gott Nytt År, tack för hjälpen! :-)

/Patrik
    Vinitasse likes this.

Hi again, it seems as my machine is broken... :-( I get no crema at all now and it just flows out on the spill water exit. I have tried coarser grind as well as less coffee, down to 6 grams, does not help. Could it be the spill water valve that have had a hard time with me trying?

Perhaps the OPV (spill water valve) has a build up of minerals inside and just needs to be cleaned

Perhaps the OPV (spill water valve) has a build up of minerals inside and just needs to be cleaned
    Will try that later when the house is not so busy...
    I found on the Internet that a new pump cost only some 20 Euro,Iiguess a new valve in worst case is not either expensive. Can't wait until I can get good coffee... ����
    Vinitasse likes this.

Ok, Christmas has passed and the hectic must-dos as well. I have worked intense with the Flexa E today. Started to open up the group just to find some loose strange greenish crystals (well, not actually crystals, more like hard pieces but very green.). Cleaned everything, removed all visible chalk and put the group back in place under the boiler. Moved on to the two solenoids, one that goes to the spill water tank (OPV?) and another that goes from the boiler back to the water tank. They where full of green hard particles so this was clearly the reason for why I did not get any coffee flow out from the portafilter. A thorough clean and removal of chalk residues. From there over to the brewer pump, Ulka EX4, that did not have any green parts inside, but quite a lot of chalk. I guess the Flexa E has been standing for a couple of years without being used at all. Its as new and most likely has been used only at a couple of occasions, everything inside, spill water tray etc has no signs of water and there are only minor scratches on the stainless steel tray under the group head.

Finally everything works as it should! Tomorrow I will grind beans to find the right settings and I need to find a good tamper that is 56mm on Internet...not that easy since it seems as most tampers around that size are 55, 57 and 58mm.

I will also search for smaller bean hoppers for one of the grinders since the commercial grinders are huge! :-)

Picture of the green mysterious pieces... I added Vinegar and let it rest for 4 hours and most of it was actually gone!

I also add some pictures from the inside of the Flexa E in case someone is interested. /P

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vinitasse likes this.