Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MorganGT
  • 1 Post By noidle22

Thread: Water leaking from above handle rancilio s20

BFY

Water leaking from above handle rancilio s20

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys,

I have myself a used but clean Rancilio S20 2 Group machine. One side is fine, makes a really nice coffee without any dramas.
    The other side however, leaks hot water from between the group head and the handle.

I'm assuming its just the group seals that would do that? The seals looks good and I've cleaned it up. One thing I do notice is if I use my single shot handle, regardless of which side I use, water leaks out also. Is it possible the actual handle can be damaged? The material is really solid on these so I dont see how it could be, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

If it is the seals, Is it a simple DIY job? I haven't really looked into doing it but assume I remove the screens and just get something like a hook to pull the rubber out?

Thanks guys

Hey Mate,

Sound like your seals are shot. It's a pretty simple fix. Site sponsor coffee parts can supply you with new seals. You might also need a paper spacer as well. They are really easy to change.

BFY
    Yeah I've contacted them about parts and they also recommended the spacer.

Moving the machine to its permanent home so I'll have a look during the week

I would also put in a new shower screen as well.

BFY
    Yeah I'll do a change over. Old owner said it was done a few months ago but I'd rather do it.

The screw on one of the screens is hard to get off and I don't wanna stuff it up

You can use a socket if that makes it easier.

After you get it off and are ready to screw it back in, don't fully tighten it in place.
    Rather, just tighten up with your fingers using the socket for grip.
    Repeated thermal cycling will actually cause the screw to tighten up over time...

Mal.

BFY
    They don't actually have the socket fitting. It's just a flat head screw
    Even the replacement part from coffee parts looks to be the same. I think it's just coked up to be honest so it might need a tap to help break the seal

Ordered my parts today hopefully in time for the weekend

You could always buy a s/s flat or countersunk socket-head screw and use an Allen Key....

Advice re tightening still holds true though. Finger tight is tight enough...

Mal.

BFY

That's what I'm dealing with at the moment. Can't get the screw driver to "bite" and not enough room to get vice grips onto it

If you've got new showers on the way and you can't get the screw loose by any other means, you could do what I do in that situation. Big needlenose pliers, open the jaws and use the tip of one jaw to hook over the rim of the shower and lever the edge of the shower down using the edge of the head as a pivot point. Once one side of the shower is bent down close to 90 degrees, you grab the bent bit with the pliers and use them to rotate the shower anticlockwise to help loosen the screw.
    Dimal likes this.

BFY
    Sounds like the way to go Morgan many thanks!

If you have new shower screens ready to install, which you probably should do anyway as they're cheap, then you can sacrifice this one to get the screw out.

Get the flat head screwdriver and find the lip on the edge of the shower screen and bend it down. If there is no lip, gently insert the screwdriver in between where the screen meets the group head and pry it down.

Repeat this on the other side of the screen. Bend each side down until they can be gripped with pliers together. Using the pliers, pull down whilst slowly twisting anticlockwise.
    This should grab onto the screw and undo it.

It can take a few tries to do it but this generally works.

Edit: Too slow!
    Dimal likes this.

BFY
    Heh recently serviced my ass I had a laugh
    Took me ages to break the old gasket off it was pretty much hard plastic.

Still got some leakage but it might need some settling in?

You might need a second paper spacer. Does your handle go past 6 o'clock?

BFY
    I put two spacers on each group head.
    I'll use it a few more times otherwise might have to take it for service.

Two spacers is a bit of a risk in terms of leaks. One is usually OK, but with 2 the chance of the spacers getting wet and collapsing so the seal is not flat all the way around is greater. With 3 spacers you can almost guarantee a leaking seal within months, or even weeks.
    If I needed 2 spacers behind a Rancilio group seal to get the handle to lock in the right spot, I would substitute a 9mm thick Faema group seal instead. They have a slightly bigger diameter than a Rancilio seal, but do fit as a suitable replacement (and also suit E61 heads, Wega/Astoria/San Marino heads, and even VFA and Azkoyen heads). If there's a choice of seals of different thicknesses that fit a particular head, it always seems to work best to use the thickest seal that fits to avoid or minimise the use of shims.

BFY
    Ah right. Well I only put two as I was recommended by the seller. I'll see how I go if it's annoying I'll get the 9mm set up
    Thanks