Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By chopinhauer
  • 1 Post By TC
  • 3 Post By Pikey

Thread: Olympia Cremina vs La Pavoni Proffessional

Olympia Cremina vs La Pavoni Proffessional

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Some CS advice required!

Putting build quality [and resultant price ] to one side and assuming that the barista skills present no issue's - which machine will make the best espresso shot?, and why?

thanks

I've used both, and comparing the superior pre-Millenium Pavoni Pro and Europiccola with both older and newer (2011) Cremina models I can say that all can produce god shots, but without doubt due to the greater temperature stablity and superior lever action of the Creminas they will do so far, far more regularly. The Creminas are simply more controllable, and also, in my opinion produce shots with greater body. If it were a matter of comparing the new Pavoni Pro with a used Cremina (around the same price give or take $500) I'd still go for the Cremina.

As a matter of classification though, I wouldn't put either machine in the 'extreme machine' category (even though the new Creminas retail for way over $3000). They better belong in $500-$1500 category.
    kaffa likes this.

TC
    Mine's a newer (2011) Cremina. Back to back shots are incomparable to those from the Pavoni and the biggie is temperature control.

A month or so ago mine did a weekend for 4 adults with milk coffees x 2 each for breakfast and then other duties during the day. Steam was more than adequate and it never missed a beat.

In the same way as a swiss watch will never be entry level, so this swiss machine also comes at substantial cost. My cremina is my travel machine of choice and I'm thankful I didn't need to pay full tote odds for it.
    SniffCoffee likes this.

thanks to you both for sharing your thoughts and ask that you both accept my apologies for the protracted delay in responding (but l'm back now and anle to enjoy reading the CS blog)...l felt that temperature control was an issue...

best rgds

Hi, speaking as a dedicated Cremina owner, I cannot say how wonderful this machine is. Just lovely shot after lovely shot, biggest problem was getting used to the 49mm basket, found greater consistency with a convex tamp.
    TC, Wynton87 and kaffa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Hi, speaking as a dedicated Cremina owner, I cannot say how wonderful this machine is. Just lovely shot after lovely shot, biggest problem was getting used to the 49mm basket, found greater consistency with a convex tamp.
    Apologies for the protracted delay in responding - been away from technology for a while!

Appreciate your reply.

Yes pikey convex tamp all the way otherwise I get donut channeling