Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dumiya
  • 1 Post By Momo

Thread: Cimbali Jr water issue

Cimbali Jr water issue

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey Guys

Something's happened to my beloved Cimba..
    I pulled the softener off to give it a clean and while it was off, what sounded like the pump came on and made terrible noises as though it was running without water. I scrambled to turn the machine off.. Later when i reinstalled the softener and turned the machine back on..the pump ran for what seemed like a long time... i switched if off again to stop it.. then tried again.. this time the pump seemed to tfr water, eventualy stopped and all was good.

Now... ive noticed that first thing in the morning (machine is always on) when i try to run it without a portafilter, nothing comes out... no water, v little if any steam.. its like it has a vacuum lock.. I then put the portafilter back in, run it and generally water will start to flow.. but v little steam again.. once ive done this and let it idle for a while, its back to normal requiring cooling shot etc etc.. prior to this mishap, it was perfect.. any ideas?

Was this a silly question?

Momo, not a silly question. I have observed at this high level the inhabitants are so absorbed in the bliss of their coffee they rarely descend to the lower levels to respond to questions. Don't despair wisdom may come.
    Momo likes this.

Cimbali Jr water issue

Behind the 3 way solenoid valve on the left side of the group head is a 1/4" BSB female fitting on a copper tube that you can disconnect. Run the pump and see if a strong stream of water shoots out. This will indicate a good pump and water supply to the HX cartridge.

You will need to wrap a towel around and under the fitting and ensure the water doesn't spray near any electrical components and wires. Just a few seconds of running the pump will tell you if the issue is supply to injector or injector to group head diffuser.

If most of this sounds like Latin you should take your Cim in for service.

Please start with a cold machine as the group will be hot. Cheers!

Thank you. v much appreciated.
    I was thinking 3 way valve but was only my elementary education level guess..
    Ill run the test and report back..

Cheers
    cafetechnica likes this.

Ummm ... you can try the three-way: it's a culprit for blockage definitely.

Ok ive run test and water comes out.. im confused because when water eventually pours from the group the pressure looks weak without (much) steam, in fact the pressure guage drops slightly untill water begins to flow then increases to normal in a v short period of time as it starts to cycle.. after this its back to normal.. on another note, noticed the opv nut on the top had come off, any consequence?

You won't get much pressure with free flow. The group flow should have nothing to do with boiler pressure. If the lock nut came off it means your OPV setting may have moved.

What volume of water are you getting in say 15 seconds? You should get about half to full cup as a ball park guess.

Cheers

Hi Gents.. just checking back in with an update..
    I have descaled the machine a few times now without pulling it all to bits.. so i think its fairly clean but there could be an obstruction somewhere but from what i can see, the parts i have taken apart are spotless.
    I have replaced:
    - the antivac valve, seals off great now..
    - o ring on the heater element and cleaned up small amount of leaking

I have removed and pulled apart the pressurestat, checked the rubber, no build up and still soft. reduced pressure to .9bar
    OPV works ok, currently set at 8.5
    group 3 way looked clean and unobstructed, works ok in that backpressure is released into drip tray
    next thing i tgought of would be to pull off the hx and see what it looks like..

i now think i have 2 seperate issues..
    1. pump may be on its way out.. maybe losing prime between uses? or drawing air? Water eventualy gets through the grouphead and works fine untill you leave it for some time..
    2. pressurestat with intermittent problems? i sometimes get back to the machine and find it has lost all pressure, pressure restores when i tap the pressurestat.. air lock caused by bad flowmeter? havnt checked it for blockage yet but unlikely source of blockage i would have thought..

cimbali pressurestat.jpg

This is a an image of the pressurestat, hopefully works..

Quote Originally Posted by Momo View Post
    Hi Gents.. just checking back in with an update..
    I have descaled the machine a few times now without pulling it all to bits.. so i think its fairly clean but there could be an obstruction somewhere but from what i can see, the parts i have taken apart are spotless.
    I have replaced:
    - the antivac valve, seals off great now..
    - o ring on the heater element and cleaned up small amount of leaking

I have removed and pulled apart the pressurestat, checked the rubber, no build up and still soft. reduced pressure to .9bar
    OPV works ok, currently set at 8.5
    group 3 way looked clean and unobstructed, works ok in that backpressure is released into drip tray
    next thing i tgought of would be to pull off the hx and see what it looks like..

i now think i have 2 seperate issues..
    1. pump may be on its way out.. maybe losing prime between uses? or drawing air? Water eventualy gets through the grouphead and works fine untill you leave it for some time..
    2. pressurestat with intermittent problems? i sometimes get back to the machine and find it has lost all pressure, pressure restores when i tap the pressurestat.. air lock caused by bad flowmeter? havnt checked it for blockage yet but unlikely source of blockage i would have thought..

cimbali pressurestat.jpg

This is a an image of the pressurestat, hopefully works..
    Sounds like a failing p/stat. Those are notorious for failing at switch contacts. Best replace p/stat - it's on its way out.

I think some of the Cimbali pressure stats have multiple contacts, so you can just swap the wires over to a new set. Worth a look, may save you buying a new one.

Cheers

Also, if the p/stat is just using a standard type micro-switch, you should be able to locate a replacement unit just by searching for the manufacturer's name and model number of the switch.

This is predicated upon the diaphragm section still being in good condition, otherwise, you'd probably be better off sourcing a replacement p/stat or making what ever mod's are necessary to allow you to fit a more common (and probably less expensive) replacement. You could even consider including a properly rated SSR to handle the switching current, and thereby avoid future similar problems.

Mal.

Thanks for the replies.. all helpfull. I think this particular pstat is one of the more expensive ones.. ill try the switch and if not mod as suggested to a common variety 😉
    Any thoughts on the initial waterflow problem?

The brew circuit water problem sure sounds like it could be related to the 3-Way Valve (even though you have removed and cleaned it) or perhaps a piece of scale lodged somewhere it shouldn't be. Might end up having to remove some of the pipework to and from the Group/Heat Exchanger just to ensure that there isn't an errant piece of scale stuck somewhere...

Mind you, I have never worked on one of these machines so my suggestions are purely generic in origin...

Mal.