Thread: Boema 2 Group. Info sought

Boema 2 Group. Info sought

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I have been looking at a Boema 2 group machine. I have some plans for an office machine, as well as developing a work training project for young people in need of assistance.

I will attempt to post some pictures. The machine is manual (not volumetric). I am interested in knowing:
    [list][*] what model it is
    [list][*] Is the model any good
    [list][*] where to find more info
    [list][*] when photos are posted, what are round dials?
    [list][*] how much is it worth?

Thanks.

Gadget

Re: Boema 2 Group. Info sought

This the machine

What is this dial?

It looks like this inside!

Pump it up!

Internal view or group head. Im sure someone will be interested in this. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget link=1181380443/0#0 date=1181380443
    I will attempt to post some pictures. The machine is manual (not volumetric). I am interested in knowing:
    [list][*] what model it is
    [list][*] Is the model any good
    [list][*] where to find more info
    [list][*] when photos are posted, what are round dials?
    [list][*] how much is it worth?
    Gadget
    Hi Gadget,

The round dials are brew timers, which also dates the machine as "pretty old", as they havent made them with timers for quite a while. When these give up the ghost, they are commonly bypassed, as its easier just to time your shot manually. I dont know what the 0-20 scale refers to; seems unlikely to be seconds, maybe its just an arbitrary scale.

More info could be readily obtained directly from Bo-ema. I found the first couple of conversations with the guy pretty hard going, but once he realises youre making an attempt, is a lot easier to discuss things with.

I like Bo-Ema machines and the internals of yours looks to be like a single group Bo-Ema that I very recently parted with. Most of the internals are standard commercial machine fare. That group head for example is the same that Bezzeras of similar age use.

As to what its worth, I cant really help there, sorry. Bear in mind its age when making an offer to the seller.

Regards,
    Phil

My BoEma two group looks just like that only different he he he No dials just the orange hit the switch to brew switches. I also have two gauges one for boiler pressure and one for pump pressure. What is it worth - New 4700$ second hand couple of hundred to a thousand if it is a good goer. Parts are easy to obtain and the machines are built in Australia Builders Of Espresso Machines Australia for what it is worth. Solid no fuss machines with a rep for going and going.

Thanks Phil and Cruiserman,

Your comments and advice are helpful. The machine looks pretty straightforward, tho used. If I were looking for a commercial machine for a domestic purpose, Im sure that it would do the job, and provide opportunities for tinkering etc.

Part of my consideration is that we want to use it in an office (need to arrange training so coffee is good), and also to develop training program to give some young people marketable job skills. In discussing this with a supportive colleague we think it may be better to find a more modern machine so that the skills learnt by the young people will be readily transferred to a cafe environment. So probably better to learn on a volumetric machine, which is what you find in cafes.

Just to make sure, we are contemplating a cafe crawl. Purely research you understand.

I have discussed the idea with local coffee roasting cafe and also an equipment supplier who is sponsor of this site.

Thanks. *:)

Gadget

Blog Entries

So probably better to learn on a volumetric machine, which is what you find in cafes.
    Maybe. I would have thought that bypassing the timer, thus turning it into a semi-auto would be the best way of teaching someone to make good coffee. When they then got onto a modern volumetric machine they would be tamping and dosing far better and producing great coffee.

Just my 2.second crack

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeman link=1181380443/0#9 date=1181740721

Maybe. I would have thought that bypassing the timer, thus turning it into a semi-auto would be the best way of teaching someone to make good coffee. When they then got onto a modern volumetric machine they would be tamping and dosing far better and producing great coffee.
    Yep, Id agree Andy.

Just like driving - better to learn on a manual car - and then driving an Auto is a breeze.

Learning on a semi-auto would provide far more valuable skills - which they could use on any commercial coffee machine - with or without the volumetrics.

I totally agree too, it is much better to learn the manual method to making a quality brew.. why let a machine deiced when the shot is finished.