Thread: descaling a stainless steel boiler

descaling a stainless steel boiler

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Well got abit carried away with the San Remo tonight and pulled the boiler out. talk about scale. I have the top of a 50 dvd spindle cover full of it. That was from manually cleaning it out with water flushes etc. Is hydrochloric the way to go as with a copper boiler, if so what strength should I use. I got itchy fingers now.....

Re: descaling a stainless steel boiler

Neil,

If the scale which remains is pretty light Id still go down the citric acid path.... dissolving as much as you can in boiling water - and that is very effective - but only when hot.

Dilute hydrochloric is what the professionals use..... a LOT more dangerous but also more effective than the citric. Dilution - dont know what they use.... but start off with a weak solution and see how it goes. HCl is safe to use on copper boilers, pipework, fittings etc. The professionals pull the whole unit down and the boiler and all the bits go into the bath (watched them do it once)..... and at the strength they use it doesnt take very long at all.... and everything comes out as bright pink copper.

Just a quick question..... your heading is "descaling a stainless steel boiler".... so is the boiler SS or copper?

Thanks,

Pretty sure that the boiler is SS the heat exchange chambers appear to be copper, all the pipe work unless it is the best plating I have seen is SS also. The guy I got it off said it needed descaling and some gh gaskets - wow he wasnt kidding about the scale. Ill put a picture up later. It appears to be a beautifully made machine with stainless braided lines everywhere and a two position 2.7 and 4.8 kw element - that is some serious power. Ill probably only use it at setting one as I dont have a 20amp circuit.

Neil,

Both methods above should be OK for SS and copper.... but the components (especially the boiler) could even be Nickel plated copper. The HCl might affect the Nickel.... The inside of the boiler should give the game away (clean off a small spot.... silver then SS...... and the other would be copper coloured.

Well she is nice and clean now. Hcl .25 molar for a couple of hours and a couple of handfuls and sand and gravel swilled around to break up the last of it has seen it shining inside and out. Boiler and all piping is definately Stainless Steel. Lovely quality tig welded boiler too.