Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FrenchBean

Thread: Brasilia Lady, and coffee fun on a lazy Sunday

Brasilia Lady, and coffee fun on a lazy Sunday

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

Well, as things seem to be heating up elsewhere on the forum, I thought I might get back to what its supposed to be all about - making great coffee.

Some of you may have noticed the Silvia that was on ebay this week. Of course, it ended up selling for quite a high price - this probably was helped by someone posting about it on Coffeegeeks as well.

Anyway, a machine also on ebay this week that seemed to slip under the radar was a Brasilia Lady. I did a bit of web research prior to the auction ending and found that it was compared very favourably with Siliva, so I decided to go for it.

The good news for me is that I won it, and picked it up last Wednesday. After giving it a quick descale and clean, I was able to pull some halfway decent shots from it that night. Weve used it over the last few days, and its not been too bad.

Faced with a lazy Sunday today, I decided to tweek it and seek espresso perfection.

First up, I checked the brew temp from the grouphead and found it to be too low at around 87 degrees. Fortunately, this machine has a capilliary thermostat, which is adjustable. A quick tweek with a screwdriver, and my brew temp is now at 92 degrees C.

I moved onto the showscreen and gave it a really thorough dismantle and clean, along with another descale of the boiler, and then a backflush of the 3 way valve.

Time to grab some of my home roasted beans (50/50 Yirgacheffe/Kenya AA) and give it a shot. After some grinder adjustments, I was getting the recommended 60ml in 25 seconds.

Ive taken some photos of the Lady and a shot being pulled.

You can view them at:

http://coffee.htpcinfo.com/ then click on the Coffee Fun category.

Youll see we already have a Gaggia Syncrony Compact superauto, which got us started on our coffee trek. Theres no comparison between the coffee that comes out of it and the Lady though.

Youll also see that theres something of an imbalance between the flow from the double spouts, which probably means a trip to Coffeeparts to get a new set of gaskets and showerscreen for the group head.

Interestingly, theres no steaming thermostat fitted in the Lady, and the steam button must be held in to heat the boiler. While unusual, it means you can really build up a good head of steam.

So, if you see one of these machines come along for sale, I think it compares very well to the Silvia. It has a brass boiler, 58mm commercial group, 3 way valve, and heaps of steam. Of course, it doesnt have a stainless steel body, or the Silvia name, but that means it will probably be available for a much better price.

Oh, and that espresso in the photos I pulled tasted real good as well.

Regards,
    Phil
    (one happy coffeesnob)

Re: Brasilia Lady, and coffee fun on a lazy Sunday

Phil

Sounds like you got a beauty. Well done, I had a look at the pics. We got our Boema and did it up and it supplies 10bar at the shower head and we love it. No matter what you have, it is the best if you are happy with it. Our machines not young but as a barrista said equipemnt is only a small part of great coffee, 50% if the ability of the barrista.... I want to strive for perfection.

Learn to do your milk propertly, that Ed Vinas bloke needs some competion, Think he conciders himself to be a Picasso ;D, You can be a Monét :D, his paintings were much clearer, I had a laugh, I have tried so much and failed too many times but will keep on trying.
    Mind you, I think poor old Ed does well though ;D :o ::), I had a laugh

Imbalance with the spouts, do you think it is the shower or is it balance. Ours comes out more on the RHS on both groups and I thought it might have been the leveling of the unit...hmmm Ill have to check it out now Thanks Phil.

Enjoy the new Brasilia Lady. Just give it a good life and use her heaps.

The 50/50 blend... GOOD?

Ill have to try it out. POst a description in the Cupping room and I be certain to read it. (If were still around ;))

FB
    (another happy CoffeeSnob) ----- and proud of it too!!!!!

ed_vinas

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchBean link=1088922888/0#1 date=1088941638
    Learn to do your milk propertly, that Ed Vinas bloke needs some competion, Think he conciders himself to be a Picasso ;D
    Picasso hey?? ....maybe more like Pro Hart in his carpet ad days (oh mr hart)
    ;D

admin

great post ;D Leopard could you post some pictures of your brasilian lady. If you need help with that please email me the photos and indicate where you want the pic in the message and ill do it for you.

Cheers
    Rich

admin

Is this it?

Rich

Is this it?

Rich
    Rich,
    Thats it.

Ed,
    Dont worry, Im nowhere near being able to steam consistantly with this one yet.

Imbalance with the spouts, do you think it is the shower or is it balance. Ours comes out more on the RHS on both groups and I thought it might have been the leveling of the unit...hmmm Ill have to check it out now Thanks Phil.
    FB,
    I dont know. I turned the spouts around so they were facing fore and aft and tested it. Seemed to make it a bit more even. The machine itself does seem to be level left to right. As its about 6 years old, I thought Id replace all the seals and showerscreen anyway. Dom at Coffeeparts has these in stock. Im also thinking of fitting the pro double spout. Its all a bit academic, as most of the time Im pouring doubles into a single cup anyway.

Rich,
    Heres a few photos -

Regards,
    Phil

Overall Phil this look s like you got a nice little machine.... You should be proud of it.

Pro-Hart needs some competition.I had a laugh ;D

FB
    coffeechris likes this.

Hi Leopard,
    Its been a couple of years since you posted on this topic. But I just came across your comment today and joined up so I could talk to you about it.
    I also have the BRASILIA Lady machine. In fact I bought it while living in Italy about 9 years ago...It cam back to Brisbane with us a few months later and (fingers crossed) it is still going strongly. I love it. Unfortunately it has lost quite a bit of the enamelling, so doesnt look as pretty as it used to.
    I was interested in your tweaking exercise re the temperature control. How/where do you test it and then what do you have to dismantle to adjust it?
    thanks!
    Dotty