• 1 Post By enricomanchez
  • 1 Post By TC
  • 3 Post By TC
  • 3 Post By dumiya
  • 1 Post By Gavisconi007
  • 1 Post By gonzo89
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By TC

Thread: Rocket R58 second hand - should I buy?

Question Rocket R58 second hand - should I buy?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Coffee Snobs, I'm looking to upgrade my Rancilio Miss Silvia to a Rocket R58. I was planning on buying new, however in the process of researching the machine I found a second hand 1.5 year old R58 on sale for $3000 from a private seller. The current owner says he's looked after it and had it serviced according to the manual, I have no reason to believe there's anything wrong with the machine.

My understanding of this machine is that it's build like a tank and 1.5 years of use will make no difference on the performance of the machine. I'm leaning towards choosing the second hand offering, however given it's interstate I thought I'd better ask here for any hazards I should look out for.
    kbc likes this.

The said machine (easily found by searching on an Australian native tree website) looks like it has been advertised since 12th March. One would have to ask why it wouldn't have sold already at that price. It also says he has looked after it for 1.5 years- does that mean it is 1.5 years old, or he has had it for 1.5 years as the second owner?

I'd be getting someone to check it out if it were me personally.

Try to view the original sales receipt

I have been watching this sale as well. Not to buy, just curious as to why it hasn't sold... Even after the recent price drop to $2.7k.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavisconi007 View Post
    I'd be getting someone to check it out if it were me personally.
    Couldn't agree more with this.
    Worth paying the extra for a tech to inspect it I think.

Thanks for the responses, great advice. What're these "grey imports" you speak of?

Yes Gavisconi007 that'd be the one. I mentioned the 3k price because I was interested if anyone thought 3k was a good deal (let alone 2.7k). Seems like a good price then.

I'll see if I can view a receipt and get a friend to check on the ground. Any other suggestions?

TC
    Grey imports are imported from Italy directly. Often not set up properly and also, worth less than Machines bought here.
    The V1 was dodgy. The V2 has PID improvements (thanks to our Chris). Avoid V1
    No- not me Paul (though I am flattered)

ECA would not import V1 due to poor PID performance and when I flew to Sydney to test it, I concurred 110%. A V1 is a liability, not an asset and upgrade to V2 spec = $$$$
    kbc likes this.

Should Enricomanchez choose to buy this machine, what are the dodgy aspects of the v1 that a tech inspecting the machine should look for? I thought the actual changes on the v2 were simply related to the board/pid and then the rails and magnet on the tray.
    I came across the ad months ago and noticed there was only 1 photo. A bit silly if you're intending to attract buyers but I did see that it had a coiled PID cable so I guess it must be the v2.

So the machine is a V2, but the catch is it was purchased in the US and so it's 110 volts. The seller will provide a step down transformer which will allow the machine to be used in Australia. I'm still on the fence but very tempted. Thanks for all the great advice I'll report back if I choose to buy.

TC
    My advice would be don't. 110V parts are not available when something needs to be replaced. It's worth something- in the USA. Here? Worthless.
    Dimal, chokkidog and gonzo89 like this.

Walk away from it. Do heed Chris' advice. One small electrical problem and money lost. I have had this experience in the past with audio gear.
    chokkidog, TC and gonzo89 like this.

After reading over everyone's advice again I've changed my mind. The potential issues outweigh any short term saving, also, it never feels as good purchasing something special that's not quite right.

For interests sake, I've added some photos of the machine with the step down transformer. Pretty beefy, although you could always install the transformer below the kitchen bench.

TC
    Yep. Whoever purchased it in the USA should have left it there.

When anything at all electrical goes, it needs to be replaced with a part not available in Australia. Whilst it can be serviced, nothing electrical can be attended to with local parts stock. Big mistake to purchase it unless as a $300 throw it out when it breaks proposition. At $2.7k, no way.

Well it's a good thing you got to the bottom of this enricomanchez..im sure you weren't the only one on cs who might have thought of buying it. I might sell my r58 for a little under this price in a few months should I pull the trigger on a v60 or perhaps go all the way to the gs3. But it's not 1.5 yrs old. It's seen almost 4 years but it's not a 120v at least. Only problem is I won't be shipping out of Brisbane.
    dodgy x, weren't you recently selling an r58 for almost the same price and pulled it off the sale list? Somebody missed out.

Actually maybe that wasn't you dodgy x. Think the post was removed once withdrawn for sale but anyway it might have worked out better for enricomanchez is all I was saying.

That transformer would be PITA. Definitely one to steer clear of
    gonzo89 likes this.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavisconi007 View Post
    That transformer would be PITA. Definitely one to steer clear of
    Yes- Need to revise our buyers guide to add the Hot Spud class....

dodgy x is already guiding me through the hoops of buying a new machine. I'm sure this story will end well now.

EDIT: Seller just messaged me to say the machine sold this afternoon, maybe one of the coffeesnobs decided to take the plunge?
    Last edited by enricomanchez; 15th May 2016 at 06:27 PM.

That's a story in the making by the sounds of it. Perhaps we'll hear all about it on cs in the time to come when the problems arise.
    pgrehan likes this.

The good news is that you're on the right track now though. Best of luck with whatever you decide to purchase. The r58 is a beauty though and I've been happy with mine all the way so far.

TC
    I can only hope it didn't sell into Melbourne, because it will eventually be one pile of pieces which we won't be picking up.

Given that the machine would also be a 60Hz machine, the use of a transformer won't overcome that issue. Will lead to early electronic/electrical parts failure...

Mal.
    TC likes this.

TC
    Yes. New R58 is currently circa $3.9k, so with GST removed as only the new purchaser pays it, we are then at $3.5k. Based on that, I'd call anything up to $3k a fair price on a V2AUS in perfect nick. As stock gets older, values will drop, but historically, Rocket maintains value exceptionally well.

Grey import, take 40% off the above as you have no warranty and are not covered by Australian consumer law should something unexpected go awry. Many owners of grey imports do their utmost not to come clean when they try to offload them and this borders on fraud as far as I'm concerned. An adaptor is an immediate giveaway and if I saw a retrofit plug, I'd want to know why and would want either Aus docs to prove it's legit or better still, to verify #SN with the importer.

US spec? TOTALLY different machine and in general, way inferior due to the 110V spec. In Australia as Mal has stated 60 Hz and zero electrical parts availability means that it's worthless other than for whatever parts are common in Australia..

Sorry to say this, but if someone here did buy this unit even at $1k, they have been royally had. BIG mistake. Huge.
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    .... Will lead to early electronic/electrical parts failure...

Mal.
    It will make an amazing paper weight though!

Cheers