Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By trentski

Thread: Ideal temperature for espresso shots - R58

Ideal temperature for espresso shots - R58

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I mainly make milk drinks (6 or so a day) with my R58 however whenever I make a short black for a mate he says that the shot is lukewarm. Any directions on where to find the "standard" group head temp for delivering a good short black?

My PID is set up for a boiler temp of 125C. Based on the guide in the manual (off the top of my head) that should deliver water at 90C.

Rinse the cup with boiler water first. Should be plenty hot then
    Andy likes this.

Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar
    Like heating milk, it may well be his experience/setup/preference?
    Like trentski, I heat my cups first (also helps turn over the boiler water more regularly too) but the shot is still never going to burn your tongue - and neither should it! But if people are used to a hissing, spitting machine making their spro's - then maybe it'll need to be an education process…

R58 is a dual boiler, 125 would be the service boiler (for steam & hot water)
    This will not affect the temp of your shots.
    If you have it set for a 90 brew temp (it's probably set to boiler temp of 102) this is a few degrees lower than the default (approx 92 at brew head, from a 105 setting)

Perhaps try some double wall shot glasses (also pre heated) to keep the warmth in for your mate.

Brett

I suspect typo as you set steam boiler in bar rather than degrees on the 58, right?

Looks like I have my boilers mixed up. Steam boiler is at 125, the other boiler set at 105

I think different markets / firmware versions may have expressed the service boiler in bar, but mine uses degrees C for both boilers.

Nick,

105 is the Rocket default setting, and according to the table in the manual, that means a brew head temp of 92. That is about what most would call a "standard" brew temp.

FWIW I have mine set to 106, but I prefer that for the (slight) extra body / higher extraction / taste NOT a hotter beverage.

Make sure your machine is properly warmed up (40 mins+ with the portafilter locked in the whole time) a cold portafilter & basket may leach some of the heat out of the shot.

Where does you mate get a "short black" from that he doesn't describe as luke warm?

Brett

Thanks for the tips Brett, a few traps that I've fallen for. I haven't been heating the portafilter, nor the short black cups (however I always heat my flat white cups). My mate has a Rancilio Silvia/Rocky combo which he reckons is much hotter. Will have to do a test myself on his setup to see the difference.

Cold group handle will certainly change the flavour of your shots. They should improve significantly with a warm handle.