Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By wattgn
  • 3 Post By ArtW
  • 1 Post By coffee_machinist

Thread: Any thoughts on La Spatziale Vivaldi II?

Any thoughts on La Spatziale Vivaldi II?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I was thinking of this one. Ugly but dual boiler and a lot of control.

Other one I was thinking of is the ECM Technika.

Want Rotary pump. I would prefer stainless steel frame if I can get it.

Still looking. I have Bezzera BZ40 at the moment, 20 years old and going well.

La S: proprietary size portafilter. No thanks. Makes parts (seals, show screens, baskets) a hassel.

Bought the Wega MiniNova Classic with rotary pump. Pick up on Monday.

The Vivaldi will give higher throughput with two boilers, more accurate and controlled temperatures and is a great machine.

It is however ugly and I'm sure I can make just as good coffee from my Mini Nova for $1200 less. It is a beautiful machine and I'm happy with a HX machine. Once you know how to use them, they work fine.

Interesting comment about the seals and portafilter size. I have a Reg Barber Copper/Rosewood Tamper and it would be tragic if I had to replace that.

I think you'll find with your 2 litre boiler the wega will eclipse the la spaz when it comes to steaming and tea making

I have a Mini Nova EVD on the bench and aside from the protein shake reservoir and odd-shaped boiler (a box shape is not an ideal shape for an internal - or external - pressure vessel) it's a serious quality build.

Yes it is square SS boiler. I thought it unusual as cylindrical is ideal in terms of a pressure vessel.

I thought then that really the pressure involved is tiny, not like say a diving cylinder at 3000psi. The square shape also makes it ideal for placing sensors and anything else as it is a flat surface.

I have to say I was immediately impressed at the internals. Impeccable build.
    Lukemc and sprezzatura like this.

I like the look of the La Spaz, it certainly stand out from the rest of the stainless box e61s at a similar price point.
    Dimal, gonzo89 and kyeba like this.

I got the Wega Mini Nova today. Plumbed in easily. Beautiful shots right from the word go. Plenty of steam, as you would expect. Impressed.

TC
    Congrats on the new kit wattgn,

FWIW, the Vivaldi is also an excellent machine and beautifully built. The rotary pump version in particular packs a heap of steam grunt with a 2.5L steam boiler.

I can't recall the actual anatomy of the 2.5L boiler, but the smaller 1.2L version employed in the mini-vivaldi packs an integrated element which means that if it goes pop, you replace the entire boiler at $$$. Why they went for the integral design, I don't know. Whilst we sold plenty, two replacement boilers and disappointed clients made me reconsider and then cut the mini-vivaldi from range.

I am not a fan of those square boilers. The material is paper thin and many of the port threads are just tapped in to the sidewall. OK until you need to remove a scaled up 1/8th fitting and there is bugger all material to repair the thread. Ugh.
    TC likes this.

The Vivaldi would have been a contender but wanted support and service here in Perth. I'm pretty ok with these machines but nice to have a shop handy. It was also $1200 more.

SS boilers are here to stay, evidently. EU regulations either now or will shortly require them. Maybe someone could research why.
    Last edited by wattgn; 23rd August 2016 at 10:29 AM.