Thread: False Brew Pressure Reading

False Brew Pressure Reading

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I turned on my Bezzera Ellisse DE today, and found the brew pressure gauge was reading 5bar even when the pump isnt operating. Its like its been forced down, as it still moves the distance it used to, but it starts from 5 bar. The only thing I did that may have contributed was that I had the water tap (Im running from a tank) turned off while it was trying to autofill. Could this have done any damage? I realized after about 20secs that the tap was off, and turned it on. Everything still functions normally, just the pressure gauge isnt reading correctly. It was all ok a couple of days ago.

As below:

Pump Off

Pump On

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Scotty

Re: False Brew Pressure Reading

What you are talking about sounds like the mains pressure. Before installing a pressure reducing valve, with the pump not running, my Bez read at 8.5 bars and after the valve it now reads at 3.5 bars. With the pump running it sits between 9 and 10 bars.
    Brett

Thats a strange one. The gauge may need to be recalibrated. Id disconnect it from the pump, and firstly see if the needle returns to zero. If it doesnt, recalibration is definitely in order.

You can try and reset it yourself very carefully by pulling the needle off its axle, and replacing it so its set at zero, reconnect everything and -- without making any alterations to the pump pressure -- ensure it now reads as before, 9 bar or whatever.

--Robusto

Thanks for that advice. Brett, I should have mentioned its drwaing out of a tank, not plumbed in, so mains pressure probably doesnt play a role. I think it has indeed slipped on its axle. I will disconnect it from the pump first to see if it settles, but I think Ill have to dismantle it.

Ill take some piccies in case this happens to anyone else.

Thanks,

Scotty

Sorry - looks like I misunderstood your post.
    Regards
    Brett

Brett, No apologies needed, I neglected to supply vital facts and led you right into that one. I did consider that it may be water pressure, because I have the tank raised higher than the pump, but then I remembered it didnt behave like that when I first started. It only happened after leaving the water valve off for a few seconds while the autofill was active.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks,

Scotty

Hey Scotty- looking at your list of machines, I dont feel too much guilt about mine, especially since I recently added Phils Bo-Ema 1 gp to the list. That has allowed me to start stripping the Bezzera down.
    Maybe this category should read "Extreme Owners" not "Extreme Machines"!
    Brett

Tell me about it! A few have suggested I need professional help. I have a few other machines not really worth mentioning, a couple of 1980s Saecos (bar2000 - where it all got started), a gaggia paros (the ugliest machine ever made!) and a little isomac cappucina (a bit of a nothing machine - especially for isomac!)

I really need to get stuck into the Faema. Ive stripped it right back, had all the panels stripped and powdercoated ferrari red, did the same with my MD40 so they match, and had all the badges polished. After reading Phil Jeffreys Carimali rebuild it doesnt seem like such an impossible job now. I hope youll put up pics of your bezzy rebuild.

I cant quite nail down what it is that keeps me obsessed with espresso machines. Its way more than the coffee. Theres a simple, hidden elegance that most take for granted when they order their double decaf (erk) mocha wih a shot of caramel syrup to "Enhance" the flavour!

Scotty

Quote Originally Posted by coffeegeek link=1182686488/0#7 date=1182772273
    a gaggia paros (the ugliest machine ever made!)
    Id never seen one before your post forced me to Google one up.

I think Ill be having nightmares now. :P

Not only is it hideously ugly, its got the messiest, most poorly designed coffee chute (maybe should be "coffee shoot!") and the smallest most useless drip tray ever made.

BUT... It does have a commercial group, three way solenoid, OPV, and burr grinder... also, its very, very ricketty... hang on, thats a bad thing! Just poor design all round. Just as well I only paid $100 for it, and you eventually get used to making shots with your eyes closed! :D

Scotty

Ok, Back on track. I pulled the gauge out, and found the needle had definitely slipped on the shaft due to a vacuum being formed when it was starved of water. This necessitated the following delicate operation (come on, its not rocket surgery!):

Pry the cover off gently with a fine slotted screwdriver or a razor blade - its only just clipped in

Using a fine pare of side cutters, gently lever the needle off its axle - You could also use two small slotted screw drivers - be careful not to damage the soft needles hub

Replace needle where it should be

All done. While I cant test this until tomorrow night, Im confident it will have rectified the problem.

Thanks for all your input.

Scotty

Well done. Hope that solves the problem. The one daner is that while the pointer is back at zero the gauge itself may be elsewhere -- that sometimes happens -- but youll know when you fire it up.

-Robusto

A nice piece of surgery...