• 1 Post By hellgq
  • 1 Post By Melbroaster
  • 3 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 1 Post By LFM60
  • 2 Post By TC

Thread: La Pavoni Giotto

La Pavoni Giotto

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight

Pics of our brand new machine. Very excited!

Great looking machine, Its always exciting getting a a new coffee machine.

Chris
    kbc likes this.

kbc
    Enjoy it Rohan. You netted the the first La Pavoni Giotto DB in Australia. Congrats - Paul

kbc

La Pavoni Giotto

The dodgy x Showroom is open all day tomorrow (Sat). I have 3 new La Pavoni models on the bench. Unlimited machine play and coffees. PM to book in and join the fun.
    Cheers - Paul
    Last edited by kbc; 16th September 2016 at 07:43 PM.

I've run a few shots now, gotta say it's a pretty darn impressive unit. Quality fittings- nothing plastic fantastic about it. Quiet as a mouse compared to the Expobar, amazing shots (we're finally getting those little black specks in the crema) and textures milk like a dream.
    There seems to be a fair bit of controversy about the unit, feeling a little intimidated by the response. More then happy to answer any questions.
    Andy, BeanBrat, Brewster and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Thought I was the only one who noticed that...
    Guess we caught the coffee bug. No apologies for that.

Yes Chris, I understood it the first time - the implication that your view and only your view is worthy of a clear conscience? All I'm saying is there is no need to make this point to the OP. He just bought a machine that he liked, probably without knowing the politics behind it.
    Casa Espresso and wattgn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hellgq View Post
    I've run a few shots now, gotta say it's a pretty darn impressive unit. Quality fittings- nothing plastic fantastic about it. Quiet as a mouse compared to the Expobar, amazing shots (we're finally getting those little black specks in the crema) and textures milk like a dream.
    There seems to be a fair bit of controversy about the unit, feeling a little intimidated by the response. More then happy to answer any questions.
    Yes, I think it will be a great machine. Honestly at the price point of these machines you'd have to be unlucky to get a bad one and La Pavoni know what they're doing look at their other machines and the feedback on them, universally favourable.

You have the group's sympathy and good wishes, overwhelmingly anyway...
    BeanBrat and kbc like this.

Good on you hellgq, don't worry about the controversy, just keep making coffee that you enjoy on the machine you enjoy.

I notice that the chassis and body is made of Stainless Steel. I think this might be the only Giotto that does. It is a good idea as a chassis is prone to corrosion if done in mild steel. I mean my Bezzera is 20 years old with only minor corrosion of the chassis but it is a nice touch.

kbc

La Pavoni Giotto

Quote Originally Posted by wattgn View Post
    I notice that the chassis and body is made of Stainless Steel.
    Yep, a thick 304 SS chassis. We all know that costs big $

All of the HX La Pavoni's have commercial (Sirai) pressurestats as well. Again, that means more $.
    The vibe version has a well damped and quiet pump. It's not "almost rotary" quiet like the Profitec Pro 500, but it's definitely rattle free.
    They have gone all out to make sure that these machines are best in class. AUS spec improvements are the cream on the cake.

---------

Post post edit: Some took the above to be a wild claim these these are best in class. That really wasn't my intention. What I meant was that they haven't cut corners and built a cheap machine. They have spend extra $ and gone all out with the intention to make these best in class. Have they succeeded? I'll let others comment on that.
    Last edited by kbc; 17th September 2016 at 11:13 AM.

Looks sweet Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post

All of the HX La Pavoni's have commercial (Sirai) pressurestats as well. Again, that means more $.
    The vibe version has a well damped and quiet pump. It's not "almost rotary" quiet like the Profitec Pro 500, but it's definitely rattle free.
    They have gone all out to make sure that these machines are best in class. AUS spec improvements are the cream on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post

I think all $2000 plus machines should use stainless steel for the chassis. It does cost but I would be surprised if it added more than $100 to the price. The makers do it because everyone else does it. Just lazy.

TC
    Could you email La Marzocco to suggest that?

Could you email La Marzocco to suggest that?
    Chris are saying makers should be encouraged not to use stainless for the chassis?

List the benefits please.

TC
    No wattgn,

I am suggesting you email LM to ask them to justify why they they charge 3 or more times your suggested $2k and don't because I'd really like to know.

They seem not to appreciate any of my suggestions.

Best in class is a bit of a stretch, maybe with time they will be but right now they are just another contender.

Swings and roundabouts. Stainless chassis is nice, but the threaded inserts for fasteners and legs aren't stainless. Especially under the drip tray that's one to watch. Looking closely at fit and finish, from the examples I have seen, Rocket stands out with engraved and paint filled details on the front panel, their own cast valve bodies which won't rotate, fully polished wand nuts, plastic sliders under the drip tray, insert under the tank lid, nicer switches and neons.

They have been constantly improving over the years and la pavoni have a long way to go to match them, purely with regard to cosmetic details - an even cursory glance side by side will tell the story. Internally, time will tell, it's early days and the market will decide whether they rise to the top. But, at the price point they may be a compelling offer for many and that's great.

Personally I think it's a shame with the design pedigree and heritage of a company like La Pavoni that have created some of the most stunning espresso machines of the 20th century (la cornutta, concorso, europiccola) and their collaboration with legendary designers like Gio Ponti that the best they have to offer in 2016 is a rehashed version of another company's decades old styling.
    Aaron, Dimal, Logga and 3 others like this.

No wattgn,

I am suggesting you email LM to ask them to justify why they they charge 3 or more times your suggested $2k and don't because I'd really like to know.

They seem not to appreciate any of my suggestions.
    It seems to me though there are no positives to using cheaper steel prone to corrosion.

Both the Rocket and La Pavoni Giotti use SS. It seems to me a move that should be encouraged.

I don't think LM should necessarily be held up as an example.

[QUOTE=coffee_machinist;590157]

Swings and roundabouts. Stainless chassis is nice, but the threaded inserts for fasteners and legs aren't stainless. Especially under the drip tray that's one to watch. Looking closely at fit and finish, from the examples I have seen, Rocket stands out with engraved and paint filled details on the front panel, their own cast valve bodies which won't rotate, fully polished wand nuts, plastic sliders under the drip tray, insert under the tank lid, nicer switches and neons.

Hi Rick,

All valid points. Its our intention to continue to develop and improve these machines as we see the need. On the latest ECM Sknkronicas the PID display is silver which in my opinion looks much more integrated. These would suit The La Pavoni dual boiler I would think.

The production machines are quite different to the prototypes you saw back in February. Along with the obvious changes there are a number of cosmetic changes that have improved the look and operation including La Pavoni front badge, better gauges with bezels, molded rubber sliders under the drip tray, improved tap feel and operation and wand movement.

La Pavoni Italy have been very accommodation to our change requests including our own internal changes that are exclusive to the Australian market.

The end result is constant improvement and competition by all manufactures, be it La Pavoni, Rocket, Izzo, ECM, Bezzera, etc means a better product for the consumer
    Last edited by Casa Espresso; 19th September 2016 at 02:48 PM. Reason: syntax

Guess we caught the coffee bug. No apologies for that.
    Great lookin machine hellgq, two digital read outs and two green lights! Looking forward your user review. Congrats and enjoy.

This little beauty turned up yesterday...

Im in luv pavoni !

Dimal, Paolo, kbc and 1 others like this.

She does look sexy. You will have to get her dirty now making espresso...
    BISHY likes this.

Congrats mate. Looks great

kbc
    Congrats - Enjoy it Keiran

Imagine that now with oil-finished wooden handles and knobs...

Beautiful...

Mal.

kbc
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Imagine that now with oil-finished wooden handles and knobs... .
    Good thinking Mal. Site sponsor Leon @wilcox can help with that
    Dimal likes this.

Looks stunning

We are still getting used to ours but are extremely impressed so far .
    LFM60 likes this.

beautiful machine

Is it the same fools coming back each time with new accounts?
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    I was wondering the same thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    Yes.

Java "9 nicks and counting" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

La Pavoni Giotto

As the importer and distributor of these machines I must admit some of these posts are becoming rather boring.

We have had it all, phantom phone calls, fake appointments, misinformation too blatant lies written to scare off customers....

Some people mustn't have much interesting going on in their lives....
    Last edited by Casa Espresso; 20th December 2016 at 12:59 PM.
    Magic_Matt, stephen28 and LFM60 like this.

I get the impression (as a newbie) that this is a great forum for all things coffee related.

I guess with a large membership, growing daily, there is always potential for conflict.

Keep doing what you are doing, those of you who run CoffeeSnobs and the site sponsors as well. Well done.
    Casa Espresso likes this.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Casa Espresso View Post
    We have had it all, phantom phone calls, fake appointments, misinformation to blatant lies written to scare off customers....

Some people must not have much interesting going on in their lives....
    You'd think that people would have more important things to attend to in these busy times....

Small minds...

Do what you do Antony and worry not about the turkeys. Their day is not far away
    Casa Espresso and LFM60 like this.