Thread: Nuova Simonelli Mac 2000 - Please help me with diagnosis

Nuova Simonelli Mac 2000 - Please help me with diagnosis

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone - long time no visit - hoping to access the coffeesnobs brains-trust to help me diagnose a problem with my Nuova Simonelli Mac 2000.

I'd been having intermittent problems with the pump (procon) - I seemed to be getting power to the motor, but the pump doesn't work at all. I've usually been able to get it going by turning the brew switch (well pushing a brew button actually) on and off and eventually the pump has worked.

However the machine sat idle (off) for 3 months while I was away and when I got back and tried to switch the machine on I cannot get the pump to work. I've removed the side cover and felt the motor when the brew switch is turned on, and the motor seems to be engaged as there is an initial jolt when first turned on which reduces to a slight vibration, but no pump.

I tried giving the pump a few taps with the back of the screwdriver to see if it just needed to be encouraged a bit - but nothing.

Is it likely the pump is seized?

I just wanted to see what others thought before I started pulling it to bits.

I'd be greatful for any advice from you with more experience. Regards, Tim

It does sound like a siezed pump from what hou have found. A new procon is about $200. You will need a portafilter with pressure gauge to calibrate pump.

I've removed the side cover and felt the motor when the brew switch is turned on, and the motor seems to be engaged as there is an initial jolt when first turned on which reduces to a slight vibration, but no pump.
    G'day mate...

Have you verified whether the pump is actually rotating, or is the motor stalled?

Mal.

I've now had a more catastrophic failure. I kept trying just switching the machine on and off, and eventually it came on and the pump ran. It seemed OK for a few hours.

The pump was switched on to refill the boiler and a few milliseconds after the switch turned the pump on, the whole machine switched off, and now won't switch back on at all. Time for a professional I think ... but dread the cost. It'll have to wait.

You may have tripped the motor out on Thermal Overload...
    Rapid Starting/Stopping an electric motor is bad news for the motor; and Capacitor too...

Mal.