Thread: La Cimbali Junior T vs Bezzera MiniBar

cvl

La Cimbali Junior T vs Bezzera MiniBar

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    In the serach of a new machine, Ive found two used machines, but not sure what to choose, hope you can help me with some usefull inputs.

The choice is between:

La Cimbali Junior T (tank model), not sure how old it is, but is totally rebuild/restored 1 yaer ago. Price around 850$

Bezzera MiniBar (BZ99??) also tank model. Been used for 1 year , but is around 3-5 years old. Price around 700$

Which is the best machine, and which machine is the best one for the price?

Hope You can help me

Regards
    Claus

Re: La Cimbali Junior T vs Bezzera MiniBar

My choice would be the Cimbali as it has a larger boiler and is built like a tank.

If youre talking the old Bezzera Minibar, it has a horizontal 2l boiler identical to the BZ35. The BZ99 has a smaller vertical boiler and is smaller and built mainly for domestic use. Its still a good machine, but Id put the La Cimbali above it in terms of build quality and robustness.

That said, both machines should be fine and parts are readily available for both.

Cheers,

Mark.

cvl

Found out that the Bezzera MiniBar, is the old model like the bz35. Not the bz99 but the model before that

Then the minibar must be quite old. The minibar also has a woeful steaming wand that is difficult to replace with anything decent. The Cimbali has a good steaming wand.

It sounds more like the Cimbali is the better deal.

Note that the Minibar still uses standard Bezzera parts that are readily available. However, replacing the steam wand will take a bit of work as it is not compatible with later models.

One point in favour of the Bezzera is that part costs are quite reasonable, whereas Cimbali parts are expensive. OTOH, Coffeeparts stock most of the consumable parts for Cimbali at very good prices.

Cheers,

Mark.

Oh I dunno Mark,

I replaced the entire steam valve/wand on my MiniBar for a current model setup with parts from CoffeeParts.... Only minimal effort required with advice from Pedro,

Mal.

Mal, we are still awaiting the unveiling of your refurbed machine. Ive no fingernails left after all this anxious waiting..

But my point still stands. The Cimbali should be set to go, but the Minibar will work better with a new steam wand assembly. Pedro is just amasing to have sorted that out for you. I took my Minibar steam valve to Barazi and checked it against all their stock and couldnt find a drop-in replacement.

Cheers,

Mark.

Apologise for the drawn out refurb of the little Bezz... combination of cash-flow and health issues and the two dont often cycle in synch unfortunately :(. Ill get there though, and then will post up the pictorial diary of the whole effort. I cant wait either just quietly ;).

Yep, Pedro is one-of-a-kind alright. The valve assy Ive used is the Part No.: 703320 from the front page of the Bezzera catalogue in CoffeeParts and with a slight shortening and fitting of new compression olives to the main steam pipe feeding the valve, thats all there was to it. Ridiculously easy in the end and as you say, a much better steam valve and swivel wand to boot. Oh well, progressing, albeit slowly :-/

Mal.