• 1 Post By Brewster
  • 2 Post By GunBarista
  • 3 Post By Stu76
  • 4 Post By mtooler

Thread: ECM Technika Profi SS Rotary and Qumar Q50P: Impressions from a newbie

Cool ECM Technika Profi SS Rotary and Qumar Q50P: Impressions from a newbie

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I know theres a few newbies like me stalking but not posting as a couple have contacted me on coffee snobs and off this site on facebook etc. My experience with espresso is now 3 shots in my life all today! I'll update everyone on my experience using this machine from a newbie perspective but should be able to assist the snobbery amognst us as I am getting up to speed with the lingo pretty quickly from my research.

Day 1: Purchased from Tim at Coffee Crema House Newcastle who are also a coffee snob sponsor. They showed me two shots and how to do the milk too with the steam wand. They bench tested and calibrated the machine for me too which is most appreciated. A thank you to Orfa from Dibartoli and Jet Black Espresso for clueing me up as to ask for the seller to bench test and calibrate the machine and grinder for me.

Tim was extremely nice to me with the full knowledge I had no idea aside from an Aldi pod machine. No judgement was given haha, is a top bloke as were his staff. You know you're on a winner when the proprietor has the identical set up at home. His staff love the machine too and are keen to get one when finances permit. He ran me through its functionality, how to purge and clean it etc and then gave me a go as well.

Set up at home was quick and easy although I must admit the first time for a newbie flying solo was a little nerve wracking however this machine is so forgiving its not funny. I kind of wish I learned to struggle through a Silvia single boiler just for the experience. The grinder worked a treat with no mess, a big deal for me. The first double shot ran a little slow and the next ran too fast. Tim taught me some simple techniques like repeatability of how much coffee in the basket, after its finished do a press test with finger to see if it indents or not and if there is loose grains on top.

One thing that freaked me out a little is it literally makes no noise to the point of "is this thing even on!". I rate the machine as very forgiving as the coffee (cappacino) with Coffee Cremas "The Girl from Ipanema" blend tasted great on both occassions despite my short and long run after my clueless attempts at tamping. Cleaning was easy as I purged everything and the portafiler etc.

Day 1 ends with me being happy. We'll see how day 2 onwards goes. Happy to answer any questions anyone has whose thinking of buying the machine or grinder and can tolerate my non snobbery uncouthness. I attached a photo (hopefully) and its not plumbed in yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice purchase Mtooler. Congratulations.
    How do you like using levers compared to knobs? Did you try both before you bought yours?
    Just wondering.

PS. Off topic. Be careful when taking photos of shiny things.
    Reflections.............
    Brewster, Dimal and mtooler like this.

Hi Michael.
    It's great to see that setup on your own bench!
    As a local, I've really enjoyed watching and participating in your journey. It's only been a couple of weeks but you've certainly taken on board the advice and encouragement offered by members of this forum. This has been Coffee Snobs at it's best.
    By your own research, combined with visits and discussions with site sponsers, you've ended up with, I think most will agree, a great setup which will serve you well for many, many years to come.
    Great to also see your willingness to give back to the CS community regarding your purchasing experience. There a not many days go by without someone starting off on the same journey that you have just completed.
    You may think the journey is over, but you will soon realise that it's only just begining
    Best of luck with the coffees, somehow, I don't think you will need it.

Cheers
    Mal
    Magic_Matt and LFM60 like this.

Hahaha, that would be my good bogan self in boardies! I dont take many photos of myself much, missed the whole self absorbed generation of self photographers Not sure how to make it my profile pic though trying to figure that out at the moment.

Tried the Mechanika iii knobs and much prefer the levers because of the idiot proofness of them. The pressure of spinning backwards and forwards when wanting to turn off the steam/water so I dont wreck the coffee is gone. Soft down gives gentle steam and all the way down full steam, back up to resting spot and its totally off. Really simple for a newbie to get a hold of. I am told the Profitec 500 has knobs that dont need turning all the way in or out to work which is what Id go for if not levers. I do like the levers very much though.
    LFM60 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
    Hi Michael.
    It's great to see that setup on your own bench!
    As a local, I've really enjoyed watching and participating in your journey. It's only been a couple of weeks but you've certainly taken on board the advice and encouragement offered by members of this forum. This has been Coffee Snobs at it's best.
    By your own research, combined with visits and discussions with site sponsers, you've ended up with, I think most will agree, a great setup which will serve you well for many, many years to come.
    Great to also see your willingness to give back to the CS community regarding your purchasing experience. There a not many days go by without someone starting off on the same journey that you have just completed.
    You may think the journey is over, but you will soon realise that it's only just begining
    Best of luck with the coffees, somehow, I don't think you will need it.

Cheers
    Mal
    Cheers mate, i'll have to get you to show me how to set a profile pic now Im a bit of a technophobe, I secretly long to be a bearded hipster that knows how to attach an image to a profile sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by mtooler View Post
    Cheers mate, i'll have to get you to show me how to set a profile pic now Im a bit of a technophobe, I secretly long to be a bearded hipster that knows how to attach an image to a profile sometimes.
    Save the pic - dimensions 80x80 pixels or 19.5kb (whichever is smaller).
    Under the "Forum Actions" heading at the top of the page, select "Edit Profile". Then under "My Settings" select "Edit Avitar". Then fill in the blanks.
    mtooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mtooler View Post

Set up at home was quick and easy although I must admit the first time for a newbie flying solo was a little nerve wracking however this machine is so forgiving its not funny. I kind of wish I learned to struggle through a Silvia single boiler just for the experience. The grinder worked a treat with no mess, a big deal for me. The first double shot ran a little slow and the next ran too fast. Tim taught me some simple techniques like repeatability of how much coffee in the basket, after its finished do a press test with finger to see if it indents or not and if there is loose grains on top.
    Congrats!

Yes, absolutely! Thatís one of the values in making a true investment, and one thatíll last for decades to come
    Rest assured youíll never outgrow this machine
    kbc and mtooler like this.

Nice setup, very similar to my own, I went for the electronic version of the Q50 rather than the push. I prefer the action of levers vs knobs and have no trouble with steam control. I've already added a few upgrades like an IMS shower screen, VST basket and naked PF and love the combination, easy to use, consistent and makes a great coffee!
    Brewster, kbc and mtooler like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu76 View Post
    Nice setup, very similar to my own, I went for the electronic version of the Q50 rather than the push. I prefer the action of levers vs knobs and have no trouble with steam control. I've already added a few upgrades like an IMS shower screen, VST basket and naked PF and love the combination, easy to use, consistent and makes a great coffee!
    Im loving how forgiving the machine is, havent made a terrible coffee yet.
    Brewster, Dimal, kbc and 1 others like this.