• 1 Post By eanion
  • 3 Post By matth3wh
  • 1 Post By Logga
  • 1 Post By BalthazarG
  • 1 Post By matth3wh

Thread: Unboxing the lion!

Unboxing the lion!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    The eagle has landed. I repeat, the eagle has landed. Or in this case, the lion.

Brewster and suvartet like this.

The red box. Time for an unboxing.

Good things come on pallets.

Letting the steamblaster loose

Pretty twinklers
    Dimal, flynnaus, kwantfm and 12 others like this.

That's a pretty good christmas pressie! enjoy
    matth3wh, kbc, Smee and 1 others like this.

Solid! I've got the white one... it's terrific. Good times ahead!
    matth3wh and kbc like this.

Unfortunately I've notice a few issues on this machine out of the box.

The pump pressure gauge dial stays on 13 bar. During a shot it will go back down to zero and rise to 9 bar... but then goes back up to 13 bar after the shot is finish.

Also I noticed the analog PID wheel wasn't moving freely. I had a look at it and it's on an angle so it won't spin easily as it appears to be rolling against the chassis.

Not sure if it helps troubleshoot, but I'm not seeing any back pressure of liquid post shot go in to the drip tray. Is this normal behaviour for the machine?

Presuming the position at bottom / middle of dial equates to set temp ?

Interesting reading this manual...

Put the blind basket in. Take the silver mesh grate off the drip tray. Run a 10 second shot. After the shot do you see water escape to the drip tray?

6 o'clock position when facing the dial is set temp
    matth3wh likes this.

Thank you Melbroaster. Appreciate your help.

6 o'clock position check... I've set it to about 93 now. Guessing each notch is half a degree. I haven't seem that in the manual.

The manual pages I posted above indicate it's supposed to go up to 12 on warm up. I've adjusted the expansion valve ever so slighty (as per the manual pics posted above posts) so that it now only reaches 12 instead of the 13 it was delivered with.

I'm trying to work out if the pump pressure gauge is meant to stay pointing at 12 when idle?
    Do others see that as normal behaviour? :-)

Just found a post on HB indicating this is normal behaviour. Good-o

Yes mine also does this
    matth3wh likes this.

Thanks to this thread I've adjusted my expansion valve too. My gs3 was going to 13 bar while warming up too
    Kevo and matth3wh like this.

thanks for posting the manual
    matth3wh likes this.

Unboxing the lion!

Fun times! Some new year La Marzocco merchandise arrived today.

A little mod to the OCD... before and after.

LM wristband OCD v1 upgrade

T Shirts, wristband and bottle opener...

Brewster, Dimal and Logga like this.

Matt, what's your experience been like with the OCD so far?

I'm led to believe it isn't very effective unless you utilise some form of pre-distribution first (for example, a Scottie Callaghan dosing tool). Not that I''d know, because I've never used one.

I've also heard that small amounts of coffee tend to stick to the bottom (which could be a problem if you're single-dosing).

The most interesting thing I've read: a cafe called Propaganda in Vancouver supposedly had their OCDs shimmed to max depth, and dispensed with tamping altogether. Hmmmm....dunno about that one! Sounds a bit dodgy, but I'm up for giving it all a whirl at home.

Version 2 is much more user friendly. The coffee that sticks to it is bugger all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BalthazarG likes this.

Thanks for that, Logga.

I love the design of Version 2, really nice. A tad on the expensive side, but I guess it's marginal once you factor in the combined cost of a machine + grinder.

Overall, would you say these actually make a difference to the end results in the cup? It's often hard to distinguish between effective engineering and marketing gimmicks.

For me any way, yes. I just like the way it distributes the coffee and having a level puck to tamp.

Sounds good to me!

I'm also intrigued by the 'shot collar' from Saint Anthony Industries:

matth3wh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BalthazarG View Post
    The most interesting thing I've read: a cafe called Propaganda in Vancouver supposedly had their OCDs shimmed to max depth, and dispensed with tamping altogether. Hmmmm....dunno about that one! Sounds a bit dodgy, but I'm up for giving it all a whirl at home.
    No reason why that couldn't work, as it's pretty much the same as the way the La Marzocco Swift grinder automatically distributes and tamps into the basket as it grinds.

Hi MorganGT - Having just watched a few LM vids on this grinder recently, it would be interesting to see more in depth on how the LM Vulcano Swift distributes/swipes and then delivers a flat tamp.

BalthazarG - thanks to your prompting on this I've been playing around with more variables etc on the OCD. And watching a few more vids/discussion on various distribution methods. It's good to test things.

One thing I'd be concerned about with using OCD to distribute and tamp is the likely hood of uneven compression across the top of the coffee cake (due to the cross shape) leading to channeling. Will give it a try though and see what results I come up with.

I've been using with max shims in without really thinking about what I was doing. This distributes then delivers indents in the coffee puck; Based on my current dose recipe of 20g this would seem to be doing distribute/light tamp in this stage. If this indent occurs I do an extra spin with the OCD and the top is leveled out. I then tamp as normal. Doing it this way only a few specks might stick to the OCD but not much.

I wonder whether this multiple compression is detrimental to end result in the cup.

Couldn't find much other than this comment on Barista Hustle by Will Frith regarding Propaganda in Vancouver using OCD to tamp:

Will_FrithJul '16
    Propaganda in Vancouver BC have gone with OCD (shimmed to max depth) and dispensed with tamping altogether. Can't say whether it's better than anything else, but the espresso was excellent. Soooo, good?

In the last few days I've switched to lowest shim level and don't get the indent and get a smooth top with less spins of the OCD. What I do get more of is about 0.1 g of coffee "stuck" to the OCD.

Interesting post on the OCD and TDS by Socratic here. Not that max'd TDS always leads to "best" taste.

My current practice already does some pre-distribution for me. I have LSM 95/A doser grinder. I weigh my dose before and after going through the grinder. Typically this grinder takes in 22g and spits out 20g in to the basket and I simply move the portafilter around while dosing to ensure fairly even distribution in to the basket. The benefit is I don't over dose the basket and it sits nicely enough in the basket to go straight to the OCD, then tamp. Replacing the OCD in this workflow I would tap to settle the ground further in to the basket and then tamp.

The OCD delivers the same result each time - given a set shim height and coffee dose. Whereas the tap to settle/tamp routine will work just as well (possibly even better) but perhaps have a percentage of inconsistency. For a commercial environments where you might have varying baristas with varying skill levels I can see why you'd want to standardise work flow with OCD. Good for home too in the same way if you have multiple people in the house making coffees. "Here, use this OCD thingy before tamping", which will deliver better results without them necessarily thinking about why.

I'm trying to find a workflow I've seen using OCD and PUSH tamper.

REFs:
    1 OCD good or bad
    2. impact of OCD on TDS
    3. inside propoganda
    4. coffee compass OCD review
    5. HB discussion
    6. Lem Butler USA competing using this in workflow
    Last edited by matth3wh; 10th January 2017 at 12:29 PM. Reason: spelling and grams
    BalthazarG likes this.