• 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By Bigjaype
  • 1 Post By Vinitasse
  • 1 Post By drpepper

Thread: Dropping wattage on replacement element

Dropping wattage on replacement element

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Guys
    in order for my commercial to be domesticated, I'm considering changing the element to a lower wattage.
    any comments on this and how it could impact performance?
    machine is a Pavoni which I am restoring...see my thread I started on the Bar T 2

G'day Bj...

Basically, "Watts In" equals boiler heat-up time and maintenance of steam availability during use.
    Significant reduction in heating element output may make the machine a pain to use, so you need to find a happy medium that you're happy to live with.

Is yours the one with a ~4.5KW element cluster? If so, you could try taking an element out of circuit, one at a time, and then see what effect this has on performance and whether you can live with it. I'd reckon though, at the very least you're going to be heading no lower than 3.0KW for the size of this boiler. Even at that, you're going to need a dedicated 20A circuit to be safe...

Mal.
    coffee_machinist likes this.

Thanks Mal
    this is pretty much what I figured. I was hoping there was an easy way out as the house I'm in is a rental...so putting in a dedicated 20A circuit may be a challenge!
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjaype View Post
    Thanks Mal
    this is pretty much what I figured. I was hoping there was an easy way out as the house I'm in is a rental...so putting in a dedicated 20A circuit may be a challenge!
    I had a 20A circuit installed in a rental property. Just asked the landlord and he said "yup... but keep in mind that any installation stays with the house when you leave". If you can put up with that it should be doable.
    Dimal likes this.

You could replace the element with one from the single group version (if they made one) they usually run around 2400 Watts. I did this with my Rancilio Z9, takes about 20 mins to get to pressure, but for home use it is fine. Of course this means I can run it off a 10 A GPO. Like you, the problem I had with the original element was dropping out one leg only took it down to 3000 W. It was also in water for 30 years, so I was playing it safe getting a replacement.
    Dimal likes this.