• 1 Post By trentski
  • 1 Post By BalthazarG
  • 1 Post By 2muchcoffeeman
  • 2 Post By 2muchcoffeeman

Thread: Profitec Pro 800 lever or Vintage Feama E-61

Profitec Pro 800 lever or Vintage Feama E-61

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello,

I am considering two very different machine and I need more input to make a better buying decision. I prefer lightly roasted espresso. I want great mouthfeel with nice acidity. I do not care too much about the milk frothing ability.

Which machine would you choose and why:
    1) Profitec Pro 800 Lever
    2) Vintage Feama E-61 one group

Whilst a machine of sheer beauty, I wouldn't really recommend the Faema in unmodified form.

To get the best from light roast espresso, you will need to play with temperature and to make that easy, you will need a PID. You will find you can alter shot temperature with the Profi or any other PID leva or a PID multi boiler machine.

Hi mfortin,

FYI: 2muchcoffeeman was, until recently, one of this forum's key sponsors - and I hope he doesn't mind me saying so. His breadth of knowledge is exceptional, and he'll tell you exactly what you need to know.

From what I gather, he's also a dab hand at pressure profiling. So if you're keen to dive down that deep rabbit hole, it'd pay to ask his advice.
    Magic_Matt and GunBarista like this.

I'd love to see and taste some coffees from a demo lever machine some time soon. Unfortunately recent work trips to Sydney haven't had enough coffee tasting time built in to them. I'll have to fix that up!!
    BalthazarG likes this.

I've seen 2mcm's vintage faema. Fair to say you can trust him on this one.
    BalthazarG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by matth3wh View Post
    I'd love to see and taste some coffees from a demo lever machine some time soon. Unfortunately recent work trips to Sydney haven't had enough coffee tasting time built in to them. I'll have to fix that up!!
    Damn right you'd better fix that up! Sounds like too much time's being wasted on meetings, Matt.

I've seen 2mcm's vintage faema. Fair to say you can trust him on this one.
    How many espresso machines does Chris have lurking in his personal vault!? So far the current line-up appears to be a Vesuvius, the vintage Faema, a couple of Slayers...and I'll bet that ain't even half the collection.

Toss in at least two grinders per machine to accomodate switching up beans throughout the day....where does he squeeze it all in? There must be some sort of underground catacombs we're not (yet) privy to.
    matth3wh likes this.

Catacombs? With all who's dead bodies? I guess he does have a pair of dead slayers (ironically named) at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by BalthazarG View Post
    How many espresso machines does Chris have lurking in his personal vault!?
    I'm not a collector BalthazarG- although I maintain that one of the biggest mistakes I ever made was to let the Faema go to a buddy. It was stunning after the restoration, but had to make way for my first Izzo leva. It then spent almost 12 months in a crate and that was heartbreaking, so it was sold...

I have it on good advice that it then went to a cafe but what happened from there I don't know. Miss that machine. Maybe one day I'll have the opportunity to buy it back and restore it all over again.
    matth3wh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman View Post
    I'm not a collector BalthazarG- although I maintain that one of the biggest mistakes I ever made was to let the Faema go to a buddy. It was stunning after the restoration, but had to make way for my first Izzo leva. It then spent almost 12 months in a crate and that was heartbreaking, so it was sold...

I have it on good advice that it then went to a cafe but what happened from there I don't know. Miss that machine. Maybe one day I'll have the opportunity to buy it back and restore it all over again.
    Ahh, so half the romance for you is in the restoration process itself. What's stopping you from buying and restoring another Faema?

Quote Originally Posted by BalthazarG View Post
    What's stopping you from buying and restoring another Faema?
    Nar....Unless it was the one I previously owned.

Rick AKA Coffee Machinist has the beginnings of what could be a ripper. It would be fun to middle digit the concept of tradition and produce a multi boiler PID sleeper which looks like a restored Faema e-61 . Start with a set of boilers from something like a Ruggero multi boiler and then go nuts from there....
    Dimal and trentski like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman View Post
    Whilst a machine of sheer beauty, I wouldn't really recommend the Faema in unmodified form.
    Which modification on the Feama are you thinking of: static reducer, adjustable thermosiphon or PID??