Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Andy
  • 1 Post By spin_addict
  • 1 Post By spin_addict

Thread: La Marzocco GS3 & Belkin Wemo

La Marzocco GS3 & Belkin Wemo

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hoping any fellow GS3 owners might be able to share their experience of integrating the Belkin Wemo with their GS3 - specifically, how to 'deactivate' the electronic on/off feature so the machine can in fact be turned on & off via the Wemo power switch.

I've read the GS3 manual & can't figure out how to do this.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

You can disable the device by going to the rule page of the app and there is a disable button, if that fails to work you could delete the rule.

I use a wemo on the R58 (ironic that the dumb device works better for this scenario) and it's great.

Can't help with the GS3, but I have the same issue you have with my Mother's Breville oracle.
    She wouldn't let me try, but I was going to use a wemo maker and some soldering to inject button panel presses.
    Perhaps this is an option for you If you can't figure out how make the GS3 play dumb.

Blog Entries
    The question can be taken 2 ways so I'm not sure what you want to do.

"how to 'deactivate' the electronic on/off feature"

Do you mean turn off the auto on / auto off timer that's built into the GS3?
    If so it's in the menu after setting the clock.

The menus are a bit different on different models but on v1.05 of the software you hold the function button in for 5 seconds, then press it again to get to "Clock Setting", press "enter" (3rd button from the left) and it will show the time flashing... keep pressing enter until you get to the timer settings.
    Lukemc likes this.

I use a WeMo with my GS3 but I only use the WeMo as a master power on/off switch to the machine. The majority of the time the WeMo is left turned On and the gs3 built in timer does the rest. I just use the WeMo to stop the machine Turning on when I'm not there

In a nutshell I don't know if the GS3 will turn ON automatically when you turn the WeMo On, it is something I haven't needed to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    The question can be taken 2 ways so I'm not sure what you want to do.

"how to 'deactivate' the electronic on/off feature"

Do you mean turn off the auto on / auto off timer that's built into the GS3?
    I’m not sure it’s the timer settings I want to change. To ‘Turn On’ the machine, the power switch at the back of the machine has to be turned-on (so the electronic display lights-up) & then the power / tea button has to be pressed below the electronic display so that the boiler is activated & the machine starts heating up.
    As per BrettD, I want the machine to ‘play dumb’ and bypass the need to use the power/tea button.
    Hence ideally I want to leave the power switch at the back of the machine on, bypass the power/tea button, so that the Wemo can turn the whole machine on. Currently what happens is that the Wemo just turns on the electronic display & because the boiler doesn’t turn on, there’s no pre-heating benefit.
    Any ideas if this is possible?

So I tested the following tonight. My gs3 was on using the timer. I turned the wemo off and then on again, the gs3 also switched back on after the wemo turned back on. Looks like you may be able to use the wemo to control the machine power state.

La Marzocco GS3 & Belkin Wemo

Oh, my machine is running firmware 1.07

I'd suggest that you try turning the timer on the gs3 to run for 24hours per day, then use the wemo to override when the gs3 is on or off. that would achieve what you want to do.
    Andy likes this.

Thanks @spin_addict I'll give that a try - seems logical that should work!

Ok - that sounds a really logical solution, thanks spin_addict, I'll give it a try.

Presumably you just set the Auto-on & Auto-off settings to the same time & this equals 'on' 24 hours per day?

Yep I think that will work.

Bit of a grave dig of an old thread here, but wanted to follow up to see how this is working for users.

Anyone running the GS3 off a smart timer switch? Since the Wemo is like switching it off at the powerpoint, what happens with the internal clock in the machine? Is there a battery to allow it to retain the time?

Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    Bit of a grave dig of an old thread here, but wanted to follow up to see how this is working for users.

Anyone running the GS3 off a smart timer switch? Since the Wemo is like switching it off at the powerpoint, what happens with the internal clock in the machine? Is there a battery to allow it to retain the time?
    I use the internal timer on my gs3 to switch on and off everyday. When I go on holiday and switch it off at the wall, the clock continues to run on a internal backup battery
    JohnA likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by spin_addict View Post
    I use the internal timer on my gs3 to switch on and off everyday. When I go on holiday and switch it off at the wall, the clock continues to run on a internal backup battery
    exactly how i do it also

Thanks, great info.

Does the internal timer allow a different schedule for weekday v weekend?

Thanks, great info.

no, just auto on and auto off, but i just change it daily as required, as my work schedules are different each day

Zee
    Yup, this. We have an MP at the cafe (not that it should matter) and we turn it off at the wall Saturday after the shift ends, as Sundays we're closed. Flick back on Monday, and all is good.

Z...

Zee
    Thanks, great info.

According to the manual...

"This parameter allows the user toprogram the espresso machine to turn onat a preset time and turn off at a presettime.
    • This feature also allows the espressomachine to remain in the off conditionfor one repeating closed day"

So... Erm... No. It allows only the same time for each day, with one day allowed for being closed.

Z...

Just wondering if anyone has been successful in setting up their wemo to toggle the GS3 on and off?

I've been unsuccessful in implementing the 24 hour auto switch capability referenced in this thread (not sure if im doing it correctly) - the GS3 reverts to an off state when toggled on and off using my wemo.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

A Wemo will be able to turn the power supply to the GS3 on an off but won’t be able to turn the machine itself “on”, the gs3 timers will need to be setup for that to happen. I’ve never tried but perhaps you could set the gs3 timer to always have the machine running and then the wemo may be able to turn the machine on and off.
    I think if the power goes off to my gs3 during a timer on state, when power is returned the machine will turn itself back on again

A Wemo will be able to turn the power supply to the GS3 on an off but won’t be able to turn the machine itself “on”, the gs3 timers will need to be setup for that to happen. I’ve never tried but perhaps you could set the gs3 timer to always have the machine running and then the wemo may be able to turn the machine on and off.
    I think if the power goes off to my gs3 during a timer on state, when power is returned the machine will turn itself back on again
    That's exactly how I have my Alex Leva set up. I use a TP Link wifi switch (similar to WeMo) and have the machine on/off switch left in the 'on' position. (The Leva does not have a programmable timer like the GS-3 - just a simple, reliable on/off switch). I have a heavy-duty short 1M - 2F extension lead connected to the Leva and my grinder. Thus both turn on when the switch activates. I have it set so the machine warms up before I wake each morning and everything is ready to go. I can also switch things on and off at any time using my phone. This is perfect when I'm on my way home from a bicycle ride so I'm able to turn on the machine 20 mins before I get home. The setup works PERFECTLY. The TP-Link switches are about $40 and the associated app is very intuitive - I used to use Wemo but the TP Link is much better IMHO.

thanks for the update. I have tried playing with the timers but unfortunately have been unsuccessful in doing so - the machine defaults to an off position when I toggle the power on via a smart switch

Quote Originally Posted by YouSnooze View Post
    That's exactly how I have my Alex Leva set up. I use a TP Link wifi switch (similar to WeMo) and have the machine on/off switch left in the 'on' position. (The Leva does not have a programmable timer like the GS-3 - just a simple, reliable on/off switch). I have a heavy-duty short 1M - 2F extension lead connected to the Leva and my grinder. Thus both turn on when the switch activates. I have it set so the machine warms up before I wake each morning and everything is ready to go. I can also switch things on and off at any time using my phone. This is perfect when I'm on my way home from a bicycle ride so I'm able to turn on the machine 20 mins before I get home. The setup works PERFECTLY. The TP-Link switches are about $40 and the associated app is very intuitive - I used to use Wemo but the TP Link is much better IMHO.
    I used to use the wemo flawlessly with my Rocket Giotto V3 that turned on with a power toggle, but the GS3 unfortunately has a default off position when powered.