• 1 Post By herzog
  • 2 Post By LFM60
  • 3 Post By herzog
  • 3 Post By Magic_Matt
  • 3 Post By 2muchcoffeeman

Thread: Pull Espresso Machines

Pull Espresso Machines

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Did this one ever get "off the ground"? The website seems redundant.

Had the thought while watching, that I wonder if there is such a thing as "too much hand built" to be viable.

https://youtu.be/49np1l97j-c.
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Pull Espresso Machines

Machines are pretty good at some stuff. Not many cars being hand built these days...

That said, there's obviously a good market for hand turned portafilter handles etc as upgrades to mainstream machines, so why not for custom options at purchase... but personally I'd be more likely to go with a mainstream manufacturer with decades of experience, tried and tested designs etc and customise it after. The design is still pretty boxy for what I assume would be a pretty massive price premium over an Alex, Profi or Londinium leva...
    LFM60 likes this.

My mistake. I presumed their website was closed when I made several attempts to get on yesterday.

It worked this morning......

I saw a comment somewhere of a price more than $10K. Don't know how accurate that is.
    Magic_Matt and pgrehan like this.

North of $10k sounds pretty much right to me and I hope they do make it into production if they're not already as they're a beautiful piece of kit.

When people are prepared to pay big bucks for bespoke ($40k+ commercial slayer anyone?), they should should do well if they can turn a profit on production. I'd be sorely tempted if a LSM group was available over the CMA.
    Dr_Dave and Magic_Matt like this.

Screenshot_20170227-075915.png

You reckon they could use something other than zip ties on a $10k machine?

But that's precisely what cable ties are designed to do.
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    But that's precisely what cable ties are designed to do.
    Sure, I just wonder if there is a better looking alternative when the rest of the machine is made with the old school luxury aesthetic. I don't think it does it justice using nylon cable ties just because they work. A gaggia classic makes a serviceable cuppa, but a serviceable cuppa isn't what you're paying 10k for.

There are possibly a few sides to the use of plastic cable ties vs an alternative.

The one you mention Magnafunk of staying true to old school by using ties better than plastic. I looked online and found flat stainless ones similar to radiator hose clamps, which would look better but would be a bit harder to cut in the event of servicing if cables needed to be separated.

I saw also a fine cable rope style which would possibly look authentic but would need to be cut and new ones installed. These are used on solar HWS installations where extreme heat on a roof would ruin plastic ties.

The plastic alternative is the "need for speed" and being able to snip, snip, snip or in the case of the ones in the video they looked like reusable twist plastic cable ties.

They probably chose plastic because they are hidden 99% of the time.

The video noticeably used slow motion, I'm sure, for dramatic effect to accentuate the "hand built" theme. Doing up the pipes slowly to the boiler etc. In real life, it probably would be different. In fact, I thought he didn't put much pressure on the spanner doing that.

Just some thoughts. Less than 2 cents worth.

image.jpegimage.jpeg
    Magic_Matt and magnafunk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by magnafunk View Post
    Sure, I just wonder if there is a better looking alternative when the rest of the machine is made with the old school luxury aesthetic. I don't think it does it justice using nylon cable ties just because they work. A gaggia classic makes a serviceable cuppa, but a serviceable cuppa isn't what you're paying 10k for.
    I get what you are saying, but sometimes the simple solution is simply the best part for the job.

Cable/zip ties are proven to be strong, durable, non conductive, do not corrode, can be easily cut when required, and are readily available. They are also reasonably gentle on the cables they are retaining (as long as they aren't overtightened). Simple product, but a lot of capabilities.
    Magic_Matt, magnafunk and LFM60 like this.

Unless they're visible to the user, I think the ease of service with cable ties would outweigh the premium factor of stainless ones that are going to be less practical and just be an inconvenience at service time imo. Be like using gold-braided cables. Keep the bling where you can see it.
    magnafunk, DonnerJack and LFM60 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    I get what you are saying...
    Me too, but that said, I'd not be keen on anything sharp and metal being pulled tight around a wiring loom... A little transit movement and POP!

When they're done well, cable ties are neat and effective.
    magnafunk, DonnerJack and LFM60 like this.