• 2 Post By jsk710
  • 1 Post By tonym1
  • 1 Post By tonym1
  • 2 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 2 Post By artman

Thread: My new machine

My new machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I went to buy a Profitec pro 500 but after seeing the pro 700 I decided to get it instead.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brewster, Dimal, greenman and 3 others like this.

great machine, bought from JetBlack espresso
    matth3wh and Smee like this.

Apprentice Coffee snob
    Happy Days, CONGRADULATIONS !

i hope you get many years & thousand of little cups filled with Coffee gold in them.

Looks like a great set, well done.

Thanks Smee, I'm pretty happy with it.
    matth3wh and Smee like this.

Apprentice Coffee snob
    Quote Originally Posted by tonym1 View Post
    Thanks Smee, I'm pretty happy with it.
    You should be tickled pink mate, they're a well built machine and would allow most punters here room to grow into and expand their expressio repitoir ...... if there's such a thing.

You will probably find yourself creeping out of bed earlier and earlier each morning as you master the beast.

Go grind some beans brother !

Welcome to the club Tony you have made a great choice, I have only had mine a few weeks but loving every minute of it.
    cheers
    Trevor
    Brewster, matth3wh, kbc and 1 others like this.

Hi Tony
    had mine 2 weeks now, loving it mate, it's hard to extract a bad shot from this excellent machine.
    Enjoy

Keith
    Brewster and Dimal like this.

I done my first backflush with cafetto powder today and after the first flush the lever became extremely hard to operate like it had seized up, after five flushes and then another couple without powder it came back to normal feel, is this normal when backflushing with detergent? I do three backflushes with just the blind basket and no detergent every day when I am finished with the machine usually after six or so shots, does this sound ok or is it a bit much?
    Ritual likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tonym1 View Post
    I done my first backflush with cafetto powder today and after the first flush the lever became extremely hard to operate like it had seized up, after five flushes and then another couple without powder it came back to normal feel, is this normal when backflushing with detergent? I do three backflushes with just the blind basket and no detergent every day when I am finished with the machine usually after six or so shots, does this sound ok or is it a bit much?
    Yes, that's normal as the lubricant is removed from the lever (levetta) by the cafetto. Always run a shot immediately after back flushing as the coffee oils help provide some lubrication. I also bought some appropriate lube (do not use KY) from Talk Coffee and every 3 or 4 back flushes I take off the lever and relubricate - it's a bit of a pain but it gives you back that silky smooth feel.

thank heavens its normal, I thought I'd stuffed the machine for a while. I'll get some lube and learn how to apply it
    kbc likes this.

Hey Paul

Just hoping to get some extra details on the rationale behind the cleaning schedule for prosumer machines. I recently picked up my Profitec 700 + T64 from JetBlack Espresso (and huge thanks to Charlie for being so patient with my many phone called before purchasing to discuss many details). The combo is awesome and I think many would be at risk of lovingly over maintaining these in terms of backflushing with and without cafetto. What's the rationale here? No doubt it usage/shot volume dependent as I've seen guides that say cafetto backflushing should be done every 1 week to 3 months.

I guess my questions is why shouldn't you do more regular backflushes either water or cafetto? We often think that cleaning often is cleaning right but clearly this isn't a good approach here. Keen to understand the 'why' here and any thoughts you could offer would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by cafebitte View Post
    Hey Paul

Just hoping to get some extra details on the rationale behind the cleaning schedule for prosumer machines. I recently picked up my Profitec 700 + T64 from JetBlack Espresso (and huge thanks to Charlie for being so patient with my many phone called before purchasing to discuss many details). The combo is awesome and I think many would be at risk of lovingly over maintaining these in terms of backflushing with and without cafetto. What's the rationale here? No doubt it usage/shot volume dependent as I've seen guides that say cafetto backflushing should be done every 1 week to 3 months.

I guess my questions is why shouldn't you do more regular backflushes either water or cafetto? We often think that cleaning often is cleaning right but clearly this isn't a good approach here. Keen to understand the 'why' here and any thoughts you could offer would be awesome.

The issue here is one that really only effects the E61 group head design.
    As there are moving parts inside the group head, when you back flush with Caffetto it dissolves some of the lubricating greases. Non E61 group heads aren't effected in the same way.

Back flushing with water wont dissolve the lubricating grease and it is a great way to remove built up coffee grounds.

The aim is not to over clean with Cafetto as this will cause all the lubrication to wash away.

For domestic use I would recommend no more then once a month with Cafetto. If you consider in a domestic environment this may be only 1 or 2kg.

With your annual service your tech should be re lubricating the internals on your group head.

Cheers

Antony
    kbc and Smee like this.

I backflush with water after every session. This keeps things nice an clean as witnessed by the cafetto backflush being very clean, and hence can be stretched accordingly. You can feel the e61 lever being noticeably stiffer after a caffetto flush, water flush afterwards brings it back to normal.

Cheers
    matth3wh and Yelta like this.

I've only done the one backflush with detergent (5 flushes) after about 40 shots of coffee and was quite worried as to how stiff the lever became but it did return to normal once the detergent was gone and I flushed just water through (5 flushes). I also backflush with just water after use every day. I do at least 6 shots of coffee a day and do 2 flushes when finished. does this sound ok or too much?