Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: La marzocco price rise

La marzocco price rise

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Looks like 1st April price rise for a bunch of la marzocco gear including around $500 rrp rise on linea mini to nearly $5.5k......

Might be a bit ambitious given pricing of other comparable brands?

At $5000 the linea mini is restricted to the well heeled or them that are prepared to put themselves into debt for a coffee machine, cant see adding another $500 to the retail price improving the situation.

As a personal observation, the linea mini may well make coffee to die for, however it is plug ugly, wouldn't want one on my bench at any price, there are plenty of quality machines available at dramatically lower prices.
    Magic_Matt, trentski and Smee like this.

I just don't see how the LMLM competes with the new LM pricing structure.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    Yep. It's across the whole LM range. Overpriced already IMO...
    I'd still consider a GS3 - just - but the LM has jumped into a higher "class" and can't compete (again jmo )
    Smee likes this.

Yep. It's across the whole LM range. Overpriced already IMO...
    We don't often agree Paul, on this point I'm with you 100%.
    kbc likes this.

Agreed Yelta.
    Give me a quality HX or DB with an E61, or a dipper lever any day.
    Cheers, Paul
    I dunno, if anyone wants to swap their Mini for my "Quality DB with an E61", let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    As a personal observation, the linea mini may well make coffee to die for, however it is plug ugly, wouldn't want one on my bench at any price,
    I thought the same until I saw them in the flesh. Whilst they look kind of squashed when compared to a 3 group, by themselves they are quite handsome and I think would look great in the home environment. I'll take mine in matt orange.
    matth3wh and snedden9485 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtW View Post
    I dunno, if anyone wants to swap their Mini for my "Quality DB with an E61", let me know.

I thought the same until I saw them in the flesh. Whilst they look kind of squashed when compared to a 3 group, by themselves they are quite handsome and I think would look great in the home environment. I'll take mine in matt orange.
    Au contraire! not my experience, saw one at Complete Cafe Services a few months back, not at all to my taste, looked like a sheet metal, portable cathode ray TV laying on its back.

Attached Images Attached Images
    coffeechris, Dimal, herzog and 7 others like this.

Bwahahahaa
    Smee likes this.

I guess they assume people either want a LM (i.e. pay for the brand) or will install a needle valve mod or similar.

6.5(ish) seems fine compared to ~ 6-6.5 for a rv60/ Vesuvius.

I couldn't justify it stock.
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Don't know why it looks a bit like a robot to me.

Me too. Stainless box it may be, but it's kitchen friendly, has enough flair to look interesting and more importantly isn't an overpriced bench trophy with more bragging rights than bang-for-buck.
    Smee likes this.

All you nay sayers! That extra gold plating doesn't come cheap you know?!

Sheesh!? Jealous that our stainless steel box is more boxy than your boxy stainless steel shiny box.

chokkidog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by matth3wh View Post
    All you nay sayers! That extra gold plating doesn't come cheap you know?!

Sheesh!? Jealous that our stainless steel box is more boxy than your boxy stainless steel shiny box.
    You just go on telling yourself that...
    matth3wh likes this.

La marzocco price rise

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    You just go on telling yourself that...
    Helps me drop off to sleep. I like living in a dream world but as Midnight Oil are back singing again they'll probably say it's just about to end.

At least the LM price isn't rising quite as fast as Sydney / Melbourne property pricing but they're working on it.

I noticed today that Strada AV already costs a bit more than I thought and I'm wondering if they are going to get it to be a $30k machine there with the impending price rise and coming addition of ABR?

Makes the Linea PB seem cheap in comparison and better value.

Wondering how they're going in sales vs. San Remo Opera or VA Black Eagle w/ gravimetric
    Last edited by matth3wh; 26th March 2017 at 08:17 PM.
    Coffeebike likes this.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Lots of trash talking of the Linea Mini on here about being over priced, but in my opinion they are a great machine. I love the look of mine, pulls great consistent shots, crazy steam power, large drip tray, great build quality etc. As much as this is a "home" machine, it can slot into the commercial world in some situations. I know of a guy in Adelaide who purely runs Linea Minis in his coffee cart set ups for space and portability and raves about them. Besides running plumbed water feeds, they are all stock. He can pump very high volume at times and I wouldn't like to see many of the cheaper HX machines around here trying to compete in this situation.

Everything's Shiny!

Last edited by matth3wh; 26th March 2017 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snedden9485 View Post
    Lots of trash talking of the Linea Mini on here about being over priced, but in my opinion they are a great machine.
    Not "trash talk" at all, people are expressing valid opinions, many feel the machine is over priced and ugly (I'm one of them)
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Opinions are always valid... I only get annoyed when people dogmatically suggest that their opinion should also be my opinion.
    Kevo, kofekitt, Paolo and 3 others like this.

Apprentice Coffee snob
    Just about every angle has been covered in this thread. Well done, better still, nobody lost an eye......yet.
    Magic_Matt and matth3wh like this.

I like a good pun, but they're usually quite bad! :-)

Good to see a new model from Rocket giving people the shiny boxy box option...

Coffeebike likes this.

Hmmmm. I really like this one. Very pretty.
    Dunno... Looks like a bimbo machine to me

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    Dunno... Looks like a bimbo machine to me
    I'll bite! what's a bimbo machine?
    Casa Espresso and Magic_Matt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    I'll bite! what's a bimbo machine?
    Danger, Will Robinson!
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kwantfm View Post
    Danger, Will Robinson!

@Yelta, you'd have to ask the inventor of the term; I gather it has something to do with being too shiny, or not shiny enough, or the wrong brand...

Quote Originally Posted by matth3wh View Post
    Everything's Shiny!
    LMLM in SS looks absolutely fantastic.
    matth3wh likes this.

In depth commentary on LMLM from an owner. Good reading: http://www.home-barista.com/espresso...ce-t36004.html
    kbc likes this.

Note that LM@homeAu is now up...

Prices advertised as $XXXX+GST so they appear cheap and get hits, parts only warranty according to their T&C...(thought that was illegal in Australia?).

It dies, you send them the defective part, if they agree it's defective they send you a replacement and then you find a tech to install it.

Love that
    #servicenotincluded #thatswhytheykilledthedealernetwork #dodgybros

I personally don't see how the warranty could meet the requirements of Australian Consumer Law. (I am not a lawyer so may be missing something?)

https://au.lamarzoccohome.com/wp-con...Document-1.pdf

With regard to showing the price without gst included its pretty clear cut:

https://www.accc.gov.au/business/pri...playing-prices

That's a really bizarre method of providing a warranty service. LM send the replacement part to the customer and then it's totally the customer's responsibility to pay someone to install the part or risk installing it themselves.
    How on earth can they justify sending a new part to the customer with no guarantee on their end that it's going to be installed properly? Why don't they train and allocate technicians to do warranty repairs like, I dunno, every other company does?

Furthermore, the customer then has to PAY to send the faulty part back to LM with the warranty claim form and then it's up to LM to decide whether to honour the warranty?

Maybe I'm missing something but this is really odd.

I supply a parts only warranty on a certain brand that I sell but the way it works is that the company supply me the part free of charge then it's at my cost of time to repair the machine.
    The reason this warranty cover can be taken out initially is that it reduces the purchase price of the goods.

I am almost positive that this would be a cut paste error from their commercial warranty for stradas etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    I am almost positive that this would be a cut paste error from their commercial warranty for stradas etc....
    Hmm...or precisely what they do in the USA. They're probably arrogant enough to try to get away with it.

It would be a short lived exercise.....

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/co...replace-refund

Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    From a sponsor's website offering a different make and model machine:

As this is a commercial machine/grinder - we offer a 12mth parts only warranty
    From the description of the machine on the same page:

...despite being a Prosumer machine, features simple to use controls.
    Seems to be happening for other machines as well.

"Businesses must guarantee products and services they sell, hire or lease for:

under $40 000
    over $40 000 that are normally bought for personal or household use.
    Business vehicles and trailers are also covered, irrespective of cost, provided they are used mainly to transport goods.

Businesses must provide these automatic guarantees regardless of any other warranties they give to you or sell you."

Sounds like this Prosumer machine must be worth over $40k ???

Plus if you're paying top dollar for a machine there's arguably a reasonable expectation for it to last longer than 12 months before a part fails so the standard coverage is the minimum.

I can see the appeal of the consumer faultfinding and replacing parts in their own 4 week old machine - 220V power and high pressure water, what could go wrong? ��
    trentski likes this.

La marzocco price rise

I thought they killed off their dealer network Paul?

How are you able to sell them when others aren't?

Are there new LM home dealers?

Fair enough. Thanks for the info

Not misinformation.

It's risk v reward and many astute retailers are simply not prepared to wear the risk.

One warranty claim and you're left with little/nothing. I have been well burned on a few LM machines including a Linea mini with very tricky to diagnose faults. LM have never been particularly generous with margin and whilst the risk might be worth accepting on a GS3 as there are more $$ involved, most astute retailers have dumped the Linea mini and will leave it to LM to look after their machines with their new tissue paper warranty and a bag of bits in lieu of faults.

A faulty GS3 in particular gobbled up the entire retail margin and then some. In addition, I have observed stonewalling on poorly finished machines where LM refused to do anything about the issues- regardless of the fact that the resellers and/or purchasers were disappointed. Who wears that?

A little website checking will confirm that many retailers who previously stocked the Linea mini no longer do. The key reason is that LM tweaked wholesale pricing significantly north on that machine without a change in RRP when they announced LM@home.

Ethical resellers need to be mindful that consumer law will have warranty extend well beyond 12 months on machines at this price point and will need to factor that into the equation as well. Whilst LM may have the cash to burn in court and in legals or perhaps ultimately payout to those who make enough warranty noise, I'd suspect that most resellers don't behave like insurance companies and instead want to look after those who support them.

As such, too much risk and too little reward.
    Last edited by 2muchcoffeeman; 16th April 2017 at 09:29 AM. Reason: further info
    Dimal, Yelta, Lukemc and 2 others like this.

One of the risks buying Prima Donna products! all goes well during the honeymoon period, however when the chips are down and service/parts are needed things rapidly go belly up.

A reliable, knowledgeable and enthusiastic dealer/retail network is imperative if a brand name is going to gain and retain acceptance and relevance, a point designers and manufacturers of other new and innovative coffee machines would do well to bear in mind.

Surely with LM machines in nearly all decent cafes, it can't be too hard to get serviced?

Correct Gav - LM are popular and not difficult to get repaired/serviced. The real pain point here is that LM are currently supplying a parts only warranty.

Also, yep, reward is now low for LM re-sellers, and we take all the risk of a full parts and labour warranty. The risk/reward balance is OK for me though so I'll keep selling them to people who want a LM with full warranty and support.

Cheers, Paul
    Can we assume this is another expert opinion from a cafe provider ............with experience supporting a fleet of LM kit over a period of time to understand accurate life-cycle costs ?

Well known fact (from those that actually work in the segment, rather than observe from the sidelines) - chronic shortages in espresso equipment techs in Australia - too many machines, grinders and cafes........tech's needing to constantly work out of hours most, cafe owners screaming at them to fix equipment urgently as coffee is the only product that makes them $$....tech's burn out and leave the industry in a short time. I don't blame them.....it's a tough gig.

Saying it's not difficult to get coffee equipment repaired is just naive sales speak that glosses over the real issue that's being discussed here.........how does a customer get a problem fixed, professionally, promptly and reasonably (cost) ?

Where are all these high-tech LM support resources ?

Oh, that's right, they reside in 3rd party service companies that work on a call-out fee, travel time, charge by the hour basis, etc...........with a queue for service. Many also won't do service calls to residential premises and instead request the equipment is brought to their depot for service - because they are too busy being screamed at to fix urgent problems elsewhere, creating another risk of additional damage during transit.
    Dimal, matth3wh, trentski and 1 others like this.

Just as well some of us have enough nouse to work things out ourselves without having to call upon the Demi-gods

[QUOTE=Yelta;605266]One of the risks buying Prima Donna products! /QUOTE]

??? Have you had a bad La Marzocco experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Gavisconi007 View Post
    Surely with LM machines in nearly all decent cafes, it can't be too hard to get serviced?
    Probably a variety of agreements in place for commercial situations, that are not applicable to domestic purchasers...

Mal.
    Magic_Matt and matth3wh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Probably a variety of agreements in place for commercial situations, that are not applicable to domestic purchasers...

Mal.
    My point being Mal with so many of them around it can't be that hard to find someone to service them, nor to find parts. Yes the machine probably needs to be lifted into the back of one's car and taken into a local service agent. That is if it can't be self diagnosed. It's not that hard folks.

It's not that hard folks.
    For some it would be too hard. Some may even think themselves capable and end up with a live chassis, with potentially life ending results.

Fortunately, in Australia if something goes wrong with your LM you just put it in the car and take it back to your retailer for repair if still under warranty. If you buy online from someone with no local brick and mortar presence you may be in for a struggle though.
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.

At least the shipping cost is payable by the company that sold it where the product needs to be sent back to be fixed because of a fault:

" You are entitled to recover reasonable postage or transportation costs from the business if the product is confirmed to have a problem, so keep your receipts."

It's not that hard folks.
    In many cases you are right, but not all.

True story, I lent my ex neighbour about two months ago some ptfe tape and a 250mm adjustable spanner as he had a small leak at the junction of the toilet tap and flexible pipe to the toilet cistern. He came back fifteen minutes later to tell me the adjustable spanner was the wrong size
    Magic_Matt and magnafunk like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast