Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Breville Oracle Touch - Bes990XL

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    CoffeeSnobs GOLD is a good starting point

Quote Originally Posted by Shamim View Post
    Thanks - will do. Didn't know coffeesnobs was a bean shop! Any bean recommendations for a flat white aficionado?
    This is worth a look Shamin https://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/V...36-surprise-me two different types of Arabica beans, a good introduction to quality coffee at a reasonable price.

Espresso Wow! and Fiefy's Latte Art - Organic @ Origin would be good starting points.

Java "Award winning coffees for you!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Thanks - will be buying some of those. Also today found some fresher beans in the cupboard - 3 weeks from roasting date - and sure enough the shots are much better. Who knew? Everyone bar me, it seems.

Another stupid question if i may: I don't really get what the "double" function is on the espresso pour. I guess the larger basket (20g) is a 2-shot espresso and the smaller a single shot, but what does pressing "double" on the brew do for the coffee? More liquid (hence less strong)? More pressure? Good for 2 cups (one on each size of the portafilter)?

Milk volume question: Hi all, loving this machine. A question please: I feel the flat whites are too milky if using all the milk in the jug (when filled to just below the spout as recommended by Breville). What do y'all do please? Fill the jug wih less milk (but then potentially compromise the microfoam)? Fill the jug as recommended but not use all the milk? Or just go with all the milk?

I would try putting less milk in the jug to start with and see what happens, might be alright. If not just don't use it all, or try getting a slightly smaller jug.

Mine came out of the box set at 32 grind

Hi, i just purchased this a couple of days ago. Not sure if this is normal behaviour but mine in the morning and afternoon after hasn't been used for several hours does a very long rinse 90 seconds then stops then a further 60 seconds, it used a quarter of a tank, while heating. Temperature will start at 20deg C for the first 90 seconds then seems like at 40 deg C for another 60 seconds then its fine for few hours. Is this normal behaviour, cant seem to adjust or find anything in the manual. seems like a very long prerinse.

Quote Originally Posted by George3630 View Post
    Hi, i just purchased this a couple of days ago. Not sure if this is normal behaviour but mine in the morning and afternoon after hasn't been used for several hours does a very long rinse 90 seconds then stops then a further 60 seconds, it used a quarter of a tank, while heating. Temperature will start at 20deg C for the first 90 seconds then seems like at 40 deg C for another 60 seconds then its fine for few hours. Is this normal behaviour, cant seem to adjust or find anything in the manual. seems like a very long prerinse.
    can someone confirm or otherwise deny that this is a "feature" of the oracle touch. Doesn't look right to me thanks

Quote Originally Posted by George3630 View Post
    can someone confirm or otherwise deny that this is a "feature" of the oracle touch. Doesn't look right to me thanks
    I can confirm that I replaced the machine and must've been a fault. Machine behavior is as expected- no rinse on start up

Bump, have the same query

Quote Originally Posted by Shamim View Post
    Thanks - will be buying some of those. Also today found some fresher beans in the cupboard - 3 weeks from roasting date - and sure enough the shots are much better. Who knew? Everyone bar me, it seems.

Another stupid question if i may: I don't really get what the "double" function is on the espresso pour. I guess the larger basket (20g) is a 2-shot espresso and the smaller a single shot, but what does pressing "double" on the brew do for the coffee? More liquid (hence less strong)? More pressure? Good for 2 cups (one on each size of the portafilter)?

sorry forgot to add quote

Hi guys. Long time, first time. Did a simple search associated with this question but am keen to take your advice.

Portafilter, basket, screen cleaning. Day to day crap.

Should I stick with the tablets (Cafetto S15's) or can/should I use the Cafetto Espresso Clean powder? Seems that the powder is far more economical when I purchase the 1kg tub.

Feedback appreciated.

I use the powder in my BES920, works a treat

hi there, i have just bought oracle touch and base of reading here it's recommended to use double basket and avoid single one. i made single shot latte with double basket and it was very very strong. there is very little option to change dosage; can someone let me know how to dial it for more reasonable strength? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MIII View Post
    So after owning my Breville Touch for 6 months and 2-4 espressos a day, I developed this issue. Breville support had me make adjustments of tamping height and upper burr settings, they even sent me a new upper burr. None of this helped. Searching the interwebs, a user mentioned they had this when the portafilter basket was dry before grinding. It is because the tamping fan is spinning the entire puck in the basket so it never gets fully tamped. I was wiping my portafilter basket with a dry cloth before each grind. Now I wipe it with a wet(more than damp but not dripping wet) cloth before grinding and it gives me a good puck every time. The coffee sticks to the damp basket and the puck now doesn't spin so it tamps correctly.

On a side note, after 8 months my milk frother performance slowly diminished until I was basically getting hot milk with no foam with any milk. I made sure the holes were open but removing the tip I found a thin layer of baked on milk residue. I used RinzaŽ Alkaline Milk Frother Cleaner from Urnex and my wand went from 0 froth to like new. From now on when I am prompted to clean the machine with the tablets, I will also clean the steam wand to maintain peak performance.
    Damn, we are so many we got the same problem! After almost a month i got the same problem. And yes i also clean it dry before i put it on the grinder! So you say you dont have the problem again after you wiping with a wet cloth?! By the way what they told you about the upper burr? To make it coarser or finer?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123