• 2 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 2 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 1 Post By Melbroaster
  • 2 Post By matth3wh
  • 1 Post By gmeddy

Thread: Nuova Simonelli Appia II 2 Group Compact

Talking Nuova Simonelli Appia II 2 Group Compact

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So, Nuova Simonelli Appia II 2 Group Compact...

Anyone on here using one and care to comment / share some on the ground insights / common faults (if any?) / fun facts about NS's little work horse ?
    + Great size. 10 Amp. Volumetric. Steam levers :-)

I'm interested to check and see if ACE can fit a SureShot timer/unit on these.

Hi Matt.
    We have supplied and set up many Appias. The new Appia II compact is a great unit . We have recently put them into a restaurant, mobile coffee van and even a gelato van! The previous model had issues with durability of the touch pads but the new design has addressed this.
    The steam levers like all the NS commercials are great.
    What application are you looking at installing it in?
    matth3wh likes this.

One of the most recent went into this very cool retro caravan converted to a mobile bar and coffee station !
    Dimal, matth3wh and sprezzatura like this.

Hi Antony

Appreciate your reply and your wisdom. Good to hear of the NS Appia II fit out in the caravan. Lovely setup.

Thank you for the info on Appia I vs II control board improvements. I'd seen a little bit around about control board issues and hoped that had stopped with Appia v1 (part of the reason for this posting)

The scenario: I've (foolishly?) thrown myself in to helping our local sport assoc. do some coffee fundraising. A few volunteers and I are the replacement for a bad super-auto that not many used (and when they did, they didn't come back again).

Setup will be on a cart/canteen area. 10A only. Enough space provided for machine plus undercover area.

As this is not a cafe scenario we will not be trying to supply every drink combo under the sun. :-)

Drinks limited to 8oz size to make things a bit more predictable and prevent people from drowning themselves in dairy.
    19g doses. Split shots for all/most. Which works out to be ~52 doses per kg (+ allowing a bit for waste). 104 coffees sold / kg.
    Across 4-5 hours. No one particular rush time as parents / family + friends come to their particular game.

Canteen volunteers take order/money as per their normal routine, write the order/name on the cup, and then pass the cup over to us to make the cuppa.

I'm grabbing coffee and some supplies. One of the others helping has cups / sugar sticks / accessories via their Deli cafe. Will be interested to see how the turn out goes for week 1 with a single group and then we will see about aspirations for 2 group NS Appia II compact.

Appreciate any thoughts / suggestions as they come to mind.

Hi Matt,

One extra bit of advice I would give would be to get an urn/kettle for hot water (teas etc) . The one thing that will draw the heat from a coffee machine is drawing hot water from the boiler. The Appia compact with only the 10amp draw, will struggle if you are continuously drawing water direct from the boiler.

We used to run the coffee contract for the Melbourne Flower and Garden show, at the time one of the largest single coffee gigs in Melbourne. We had 8 coffee stations, all Appias and all drawing water from tanks as there was no direct water supply.
    These machines used to get an absolute hammering for 6 to 7 hours, five days in a row. They kept up superbly (combined with hot water urn for teas).

Cheers

Antony
    Casa Espresso
    (03) 9530 8992
    Casa Espresso Melbourne The Home of Premium Italian Products
    Dimal and matth3wh like this.

Funny you should mention it but that's what we have the old super auto lined up for - tea and hot water dispenser.

Hope you're enjoying MICE.

Dare I say it as a Coffee Snob, but that's about all the super auto is good for!

MICE is great, plenty of action today with the Barista and Latte Art competition. We sponsor the Latte Art championship with our Ancap Cup range, so MICE is part looking at new products and half representing the brand for me.

Cheers

Antony
    Dimal and matth3wh like this.

I think i have heard that the Appia has some nicely designed slow pressure ramp magic that makes it very forgiving.....?
    matth3wh likes this.

Nuova Simonelli Appia II 2 Group Compact

http://www.nuovasimonelli.it/en/cust...china/sis.html

Funny. Not sure on translation here from link above.

From NS Brochure
    EN Being able to get all the froth from the coffee into the cup is a challenge Appia has won thanks to SIS (Soft Infusion System), which guarantees
    a soft pre-infusion allowing the barista perfection always and which compensates for any incorrect coffee pressing read:tamping

--

The SIS (Soft Infusion System) concerns the pre-infusion. When the ground coffee is dispensed, for a few seconds, pressure-free hot water pre-wets it for a few seconds before the pressurised jet of hot water arrives from the pump. This means it is possible to extract the hydrosoluble substances and leave them at high temperatures which would denature the proteins and as a result, reduce the cream for the shortest time possible.

--

After using this machine for a number of weekends now it does a great job.

Marketing aside, what's in the cup is tasty espresso and plenty of steam power for milk lovers.
    Last edited by matth3wh; 26th May 2017 at 12:59 AM.
    Casa Espresso and brendogs like this.

Well it's been just over a year since this machine was mentioned on CS as far as I can find.
    I've just purchased one and will soon be setting it up in a nice little vintage style van cafe.
    I've made half a dozen cups through it at home on the bench, trying to get some experience before we go test the market.
    I'll also do a Barista crash course before then.

One question I have about this little workhorse is:
    Should the hot water dispenser be spitting steam? I get 1-2 seconds of hot water flow before it starts spitting steam everywhere.
    I see in the manual there's a section about the hot water economiser - which seems to give instructions on how to balance the hot water with cold, but I'm not sure that's the fix to this problem without upsetting a great many other pre-set parameters.

Anyone got a clue? It's no doubt something which other NS machines also feature...
    Thanks in advance.
    Glen
    matth3wh likes this.