• 1 Post By ozscott
  • 2 Post By noidle22
  • 1 Post By ozscott
  • 1 Post By ozscott
  • 1 Post By Dimal

Thread: Pressurestat problems

Pressurestat problems

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all just replaced the diaphragm on my FAEMA Due as I thought it was getting lazy. Looked pretty pliable when I removed it though...new one in and no difference. I have lubricated the slides and no difference. So in effect to get the steam pressure at the bottom end to be even 0.2bar the top end of the cycle is not shutting off the contacts and the pressure valve starts opening at 1.5 bar and is fully open by a out 1.7 bar...has me stumped. If I get the top right and it cuts out at 1.5bar the pressure has to drop to zero and even then I had to wind the spring down the activate the contacts (plug pulled out of the wall).

Cheers

I think perhaps the steel side has become too worn and even lube isn't saving it. Cheers

G'day Oz...
    How are you mate?

These work on a mechanical toggle design such that when the prerequisite force is applied by the diaphragm, the switch mechanism operates quickly to avoid burning the electrical contacts. Sometimes the Toggle will stiffen up as old lube dries out and fails to lubricate the mechanism any longer. Perhaps a full strip down, clean and relube will get it working reliably again.

Or, you could replace it with a newer design in combination with an SSR to do the actual switching of the element current. Always more than one way to skin a cat, as they say...

Mal.
    ozscott likes this.

Thanks Mal. I disassembled and degreased then relubed. Also took out contacts and used the centre spare set at one end (ie brand new) and then cleaned up the other end with 600 grit wet and dry. Reassembled and no change at all...wondering now if water/steam tube from boiler is blocked causing no pressure to be applied to the diaphragm. I will pull apart to see.

Cheers
    Dimal likes this.

Was going to say check the tube from the boiler to the pressurestat, any scale in this can cause issues with the pressurestat operation.

Seems as though you're onto it already.
    Dimal and ozscott like this.

Thanks Gents. So yes it wasn't the tube per se but the fitting into the boiler. Nothing a little drill bit, cordless drill and compressed air couldn't fix. Awesome now. Adjusted to cut off at 1.5 bar (just before safety valve opens) and cuts back in at about 1.3bar...so it's in the sweet spot all the time when pulling multiple coffees. Obviously bit of dancing water to clear from the group when sitting for a while.

Just pulled a great flat white. Love this old girl and so easy to work on.

Cheers

Ps. Sorry Mal. Going well mate. I trust you are well and still partaking of fine elixir from your roasts mate.
    Dimal likes this.

Photos
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Ps. Sorry Mal. Going well mate. I trust you are well and still partaking of fine elixir from your roasts mate.
    Great to hear mate...

Indeed, enjoying lots of great coffee...

Mal.
    ozscott likes this.