Thread: Faema Express 3 group questions.

Faema Express 3 group questions.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi fellow CSers.
    Ive been wanting to upgrade my brevill home machine and was looking towards a new $1500-$2000 prosumer type, however reading all these threads regarding renovation has sparked my interest.
    I have come across a Faema Express 3 group machine ($320) and was wondering if anyone has any ideas regarding this machine. I see coffeeparts stocks lots of spares so that is sorted, what I guess i am asking is if this is a good machine (when in working order). It will need a fair amount of work and i have not seen it run. I am very capable of doing the work myself so no expense there. I am heading out to see it in person and check the actual state of it this morning.
    All thoughts would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    James

Re: Faema Express 3 group questions.

james

Faema are good solid machines.... the only down side with the express is that it is an automatic (like my La Cimbali).... so lots of electronics adding to cost of repair/refurb if there is a problem.

Other than that, commercial machines are easy to work on, and parts are very reasonably priced... and the fact you can do the refurb yourself makes it a practical proposition. They make great espressos.

If it hasnt been used with a water softener it will almost certainly need a descale...... which Id probably do in any case.

See if you can see it running.... does the pump deliver a nice steady 9 bars? (becomes expensive if not)..... taste the water from the boiler.... if it tastes foul it has probably had milk contamination.... and that can be hard to remove totally (need to soak the boiler in Caustic soda.... and then flush really, really well).

Make sure the volumetric dosing works... if not a new computer board is hundreds of dollars....

It may look far worse under the covers than it is by the way..... generally these machines look disgusting but clean up really well!

Thanks JavaB
    Im getting into the car now to give it a good once over. I will try to get a couple of pics to post. Be back in a couple of hours.
    James

Make sure you give us an update James. I purchased a Faema Due 2 Group and it was in excellent condition, was producing daily and had been well serviced. I cannot compare it to the inside of other commercials because I havent seen many, but its solid and I like the engineering thats gone into it. I de-tuned mine a little to run less hot and its a really great bit of kit for home. My wife cornered the feeling the other day when she said that she loves it now and its like having somthing alive on the bench...its quietly lets you know its there. As she says its still insane, but she wouldnt be without a commercial machine now....and she was hard to convince to outlay $550 for a Sunbeam EM6900 only a year and a half or so ago!

Cheers matey

Hi Guys
    Just went and looked at the Faema Express... and bought it! Only $200.00...Yay!!
    The guy (who knew nothing about coffee machines..possibly a good thing re price) had it on when i got there and she was all heated up. Both steam wands work well, witha slight leak on the left had one.(probably just need to reseat the valve. All 3 electronic pads worked. All 3 portafilters were with the machine. Water came out all 3 groupheads at about the same rate. No major dings in the bodywork. Inside it looks very neat and clean, not too much grime build up. It was manufactured in 1990. 5150 Watt. I forgot to take the camera and the machine is down at my workshop so I will post some pics tomorrow. The boiler has some scaly builup from what I could see through the over pressure valve, but not too much. I will give it a full descale, in fact I will break the whole machine down and start from scratch. Should look quite nice with the stainless parts polished and the rest of the body with a nice paint job.
    The boiler appears to be nickel plated copper and in excellent visual external condition. Even if I spend $800 on the resoration this will cost all up only a grand, for what appears a good machine for coffees down at the workshop.
    If anyone knows where I can get a manual for this machine it would be greatly appreciated.
    Ill post pics tomorrow and keep you informed.
    Im STOKED ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    James

Sounds like a really great buy....

Welcome to the Extreme machine club....

Cant wait for the pics.

Couldnt wait,
    Had to go see my new toy again.
    Here are some pics.
    James

Cant to multiple photos yet, anyone able to tell me
    anyway, another
    James

And inside!
    James

James,

Not sure I like the colour of the case (easy to change if necessary), but it looks like it is in really good condition....

It is about the same age as my La Cimbali...

Id hazard a guess that you wont have to do too much to get it up and running properly as it looks pretty neat and tidy even now.

You got yourself a real bargain.... well done.

Thanks JavaB
    Definately a new paint job, polish the stainless and it should look quite nice. More worried about function over form for the time being, will try to fire it up fully tomorrow and see if I can pull a few shots on it (Her?).
    James.

Fantastic mate. I like the Vittoria Gold colour, but the front panel colour could do with a makeover....bloody huge boiler matey. If you have some mates over for a coffee, you will spit them out faster than you can keep up.

Cheers

James,

Have you got a 25 Amp power outlet?

That is one big machine and will draw about 22 Amps..... unless you reduce the heaters (normally 3) down to one.... and then you will be able to use a normal outlet.

The colour is horrible!
    But cosmetics can be changed easily. Thinking about replacing the front painted facias with stainless and get rid of the gold and go for something more neutral on the back and sides like metallic blue with flames!!
    James

Yea JavaB,
    It will be set up down at my workshop, I have single and 3 phase and 30amp for running my welders.
    I may however reduce the power of the machine as I dont think I will need it at full throttle just to cater for myself and a couple of others.
    James

Fantastic buy James. You probably wont need to spend anywhere near the $800 you mentioned.

In fact, a $10 spray can of enamel would do wonders already!! (If nothing else it will cover that Vittoria Coffee ad).

Three phase would be the go if you want to fire up all elements at once.

Congrats.

-Robusto

What a bargain!!!

The beast looks to be fairly clean and tidy...well done!

Welcome to "The Extreme Machine" Club.

Cheers,
    Paolo.

Thanks robusto, paolo.
    Looking forward to tomorrow, get my hands dirty and see how it goes as is. There are no leaks, just a bit of steam from the left steam wand (re-seat should do it). Got a mate who is an automotive spraypainter so I reckon a carton might take care of the dodgy colour.
    Will keep you posted
    James

I almost wish my commercial machine didnt arrive in such good order as it did, there was mothing to fix... so much more satisfaction having restored it yourself, it seems. God luck with the project, you will love it!

It is satisfying, Machosilvia, but you also get to know your machine intimately and know which bit does what. Disconnecting any of the many pipes is pretty much second nature to me now, and I know what behavior to expect.

--Robusto

Well bought James [smiley=thumbsup.gif],

That Faema has a very Classic look to it and is very appealing 8-)..... Dunno about the "Spray Pack" enamel though Robusto, if it was me Id be stretching for the full Powder Coat treatment . I think youre going to get heaps of enjoyment out of the Express for many years.... Happy restoration and happy brewing :),

Mal.

Hi James
    maybe itll produce enough heat of its own youll be able to sell it back to the power company! Thats an area little discussed by the coffee fraternity, all the energy benefits of a huge hunk of hot metal- a warm kitchen, and it takes the place of a 44 gallon drum full of burning oil that we used to stand around on cold nights! So you want to be next one to use Mals suggestion of fibreglass insulation so I can get some good ideas?
    All the best- I for one like the paint- sorry! But then Ive been fighting respraying the Bo-Ema Ferrari red- Im told it looks like a black ugly box after the sleek red Bez is in pieces. My comment? Well the Bo actually works!
    Brett

Hi guys ,
    Just an update on todays progress with the faema, pulled apart in four hours. The boiler out first.
    Looks in resonably good condition.
    James

Slowly getting there.

Done, well apart ready for acid wash of components etc. Not much scale in the boiler and valves etc but will all get a thorough acid wash and buff.
    James

Chassis ready to go off to blast and paint in the morning. In excellent condition with only slight surface rusting on the bottom members.
    James

In regards to the colour on the front facias, they are all stainless and will buff up just nicely. Cant believe they were coated in such a crappy colour. Pic of sample.
    James

Great work, James. Nice. Lots of work which will pay immense dividends.

I like the pic with the boiler out -- looks like a coffee machine production line.

Well done. Keep us all posted with progress and pics.

--Robusto

Looks great mate...you will be the envy of all your coffee mates.

Cheers

Hi guys,
    Just thought I would put a quick post regarding Citric Acid as I spent a long time trying to source sensibly priced bags. This may be useful for anyone in Perth.
    Best price i found was $69.00 for a 25kg bag at,
    Telford Industries
    7 Valentine St Kewdale
    (08) 9353 2053.
    The nest best was at home brew shop at $29.00 for $2kg.
    Hope this helps.
    James.

Hi all,
    I was hoping somebody may be able to help me. I am trying to remove the shower screen on the group head but I am at a loss as to what is holding the seal and shower in. Any advice would be great. Heres a pic.
    James.

And the top.
    James.

Hi James,
    What a serious-looking boiler!!

The shower screen and the seal hold eachother in place. When you prise the seal out (or split it...it will most likely be reasonably brittle, due to past exposure to heat) in order to put a new one in, the shower will come free too.

Keep us informed how you progress with your monster.

Regards,
    Paolo.

Thanks paolo
    I was hesitant to force it but obviously the rubber has fused into the grouphead. I guess destructive removal is in order!
    Parts needed list is starting to grow, however they are all small items like seals o-rings etc. All major, ie expensive, parts seem to be in good nick, fingers crossed.
    James

James,

Yep Id say looking at the general condition of the machine in your photos you will need very little....

Id be replacing all seals, gaskets, O-rings etc as a matter of course. They are very low cost items.... and even if usage hasnt damaged them, they would have deteriorated over time...

CoffeeParts are your friends.... parts are very reasonably priced and shipment is super quick - even to Perth.

When I removed the seals on my Futurmat for the first time, they were really inflexible and dry.

I used a sharp knife to cut across the width of the seal, being really careful not to mark or gouge the grouphead (in particular) but also the shower. With careful cutting and application of pressure in the direction each side of the cut, the seals should come out with relative ease. Mine came out in several pieces.

I second what JavaB has said about Coffeeparts. Pedro is very knowledgeable and helpful.

We are lucky to have him in Oz!

Matey I cant quite make out what is in the middle of the screen from the photo. In my 2 group Faema with identical looking group it has a flat blade screw in the middle - that comes off and the heavy brass head and screen drops out and then the seal comes out with difficulty, prising, using a flat blade screw driver judicially.

Cheers

...the tomato sauce should indeed make a good lubricant for the seal removal...

Thanks guys,
    will go in tomorrow and try to remove without damaging the grouphead. So far all the o-rings and gaskets etc i need, i have found at coffee parts, easy! when i have the list complete i will place an order. Another question, what does this part do (the jet? closest to the glove fingers which came out of the top of the group head), this is my first coffee machine i have ever pulled apart, and with no manuals to be found I will probably ask quite a few rudimentary (for those more experienced) questions until i have it all sussed. See pic
    Thanks again guys
    James.

Hi James,

Looking good there. The jet restricts the water flow to the group to give you a slow pressure ramp up (like pre-infusion). If you didnt have it, the huge rotary pump will take it from atmospheric to the full 9 bar in well under 1 sec and blast the puck with a huge spray of water. With the jet, the initial deluge is tamed to a mere trickle. Changing jet sizes can help with channelling, if that problem arises. Normal jet sizes range from 1 mm to 0.6 mm, with 0.7 - 0.8 mm pretty common. I have 0.7 mm jets in my Pavoni.

Cheers,

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott link=1185331327/30#37 date=1185538870
    Matey I cant quite make out what is in the middle of the screen from the photo. *In my 2 group Faema with identical looking group it has a flat blade screw in the middle - that comes off and the heavy brass head and screen drops out and then the seal comes out with difficulty, prising, using a flat blade screw driver judicially.

Cheers
    Hi Ozscott, trust all is well in Faema land? If I understand you correctly, what youre talking about is that yours is an EB61 (or variant) which has the screw and the original E61 had the showerscreen and group seal all in one unit.
    Regards
    Brett

Hi Brett - thanks mate yep, she is running like a charm. The pump has survived well and shes a ripper. Yep mine has the screw and seperate brass (removable) head piece, seperate screen and seperate seal...

Cheers mate

I think mine is the E91 - its at:

http://coffeeparts.com/fae/fae1.html

and is the one that says series 2A (which has that removable big lump of brass above the shower screen).

Cheers

...actually by the look of those diagrams mine might simply be called the Series2A group head?

The big lump of brass above the shower screen is call the water dispersion block. These are common in a lot of machines. It seems Faema couldnt decide which way was better so they opted for both...

cheers Sparky

Thanks guys for the information, i am sure there will be more questions to come.
    James