Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Javaphile
  • 2 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By Di_Bartoli
  • 1 Post By Esky

Thread: Rocket R58 advice - steamer runs dry quickly, sometimes.

Rocket R58 advice - steamer runs dry quickly, sometimes.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I've had a Rocket R58 for 6 months now and love it to death.

I am however, finding that on some occasions the steamer runs out of juice really quickly (before I've steamed enough milk for one cup). It doesn't seem right as on other occasions it won't fall below 1 bar no matter how long I steam for.

I even purge the steam wand and then don't start steaming until the needle starts rising again, but I still never know if the steamer will run for as long as I need it to.

It feels as if it's low on water/steam and needs a full, but doesn't. It's hard to texture milk when the needle falls to 0.5 bars and start splattering what steam remains.

Has anyone had experience with this or has any recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Esky.

It sounds like your anti-vac valve is sticking.

Java "Clean it" phile
    bosco likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

I have no idea what that means. Any idea what's involved in rectifying the issue? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Esky View Post
    I have no idea what that means. Any idea what's involved in rectifying the issue? Thanks
    This may help Esky https://www.home-barista.com/repairs/rocket-giotto-continous-minor-hiss-from-boiler-valve-t33020.html

If your not a handyman type a visit to your local repair shop may be the solution.
    Dimal and gordons like this.

Esky, your steam tip has nothing to do with your steam problem, now please stop cross-posting. Pick one thread to post your question/comment in and stick with it, not multiple threads.

Java "Stop cross-posting!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Gotcha boss. That explains why my post disappeared without warning.

If anyone can possibly help, that'd be great.

The anti-vac valve is working as it should.

I'm now flushing water out the the water wand to trigger a refill a fair while before I steam. The gauge is reading 1.3 bar by the time I steam and I start with a purge and don't steam until I see the needle rising again.

The first coffee always works well and rarely drops below 0.8 bar but during the second or third coffee the pressure quickly drops to 0.5-0.6bar after 5-10 seconds.

I have been wondering if the water level probe is positioned incorrectly?

Can anyone explain to me how the probe height affects steam? To my knowledge if the probe is set low you you get more steam with lower pressure and if the probe is set high you get higher pressure but a smaller quantity. Does this sound right? I'm wondering if the probe is set too high causing it to run dry quickly, but I could be way off.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Site Sponsor
    Esky; I think you should talk to the seller, if the machine is under one year old that machine still under warranty, talk to them they should take it back for re testing. The probe is the one who send the signal to the main control board to refill the boiler if your probe is to high you will have less steam but if is to low you will have more pressure in the boiler. With the R58 you could increase your pressure in your steam boiler try that may be this help you
    Regards
    Renzo
    Dimal likes this.

Thanks mate, I am in the process of talking to the seller but it's been a slow process and I'm happy to learn about the machine to make it easier for the next time as I plan to keep it until it dies.

For anyone wondering, I spoke to the guys where I bought the machine. They said if the anti vac valve is working properly, the steam is set to 1.3bar, im triggering a water fill before I steam and purging and waiting for the element to kick in before I steam, then they don't know what's wrong with it.

They have organised for someone from rocket technical support to call me and advise. Now it's a waiting game.

Cheers.
    Dimal likes this.

My steam boiler is set at 125C via PID. The gauge idles at 1.3. When and whilst beginning preparing coffee, I prepare the steam with some "strategic" burps. I tend to get the gauge hovering around 1.5. I flush the hot water tap and wait for recovery firstly. Fortunately the R58 is sat next to the draining side of the kitchen sink, bang under the fully extended steam wand. The first burp goes point blank into the milk cloth - mostly-mmmm-sometimes, before I flush the hot water - to capture the first splatters of water, subsequent burps are directed over the sink. It's a stock Rocket 2 hole tip, the bigger diameter one. I tend to gauge watch and try to time the milk steaming at peak cycle, you can hear it - and see it in the gauge. It's about 2 minutesish between milk steams. I replaced a failing antivac about 3 months ago - I could barely hear it hissing - and the steam was slowly failing. The Mazzer Mini generously facilitates - I could read a book :-)