Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Esky

Thread: Rocket r58 alternate steam tip won't fit

Rocket r58 alternate steam tip won't fit

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

After losing steam pressure, I thought I would try the 1.2mm steam tip supplied to see if it would increase steam pressure. Upon removing the original steam tip, I saw that the inner tubing protrudes by about half an inch. I didn't expect to see the inner tube sticking out and when I tried to screw the new steam tip on, I realised that it's diameter is smaller than the tubing, resulting in being unable to use the secondary, smaller tip.

This can't surely be normal, right?

Thanks

The tubing is for the "cool touch" steam wands, insulates the metal so you dont get burnt.

Inside the tip is an o-ring that the tube seals against. does the tube physically fit inside the start of the steam tip before it stop hitting the o ring? If so, just apply a bit of water to lubricate the tube and gently twist the tip while pushing it home, it should fit with a bit of effort.

Dont forget it is not just the hole diamater but also the number of holes. total area is what affects the total steam flow and pressure loss etc.

Cheers

Thanks for your reply.

The tube does not physically fit inside the 1.2mm 2 hole tip. On top of having smaller holes, the diameter of the tip itself is smaller. The tube appears to be about 2mm thicker than the tip itself, so it's not even close to fitting. Strange, right?

I'm aware that the number of holes plays a big part in steam pressure/flow, but I'm thinking that the smaller holes will restrict flow and therefore possibly allow the boiler to keep up, at the cost of speed obviously. I don't doubt there may be an issue with my machine, but I thought changing tips would be a good start.

Thanks for your time.

Yes, sounds like its a tip for a different machine.

How much milk are you steaming that you are losing pressure and how much pressure are you losing? sounds strange.

I have found four 1.0mm dia holes to work well for me.

Cheers

I bought the machine new from coffee parts and the secondary tip came with it. It looks like a rocket tip, but maybe the other models use a different tip and I ended up with one of them somehow?

I am only steaming enough milk for one 450ml cup and the pressure will drop from 1.3 bar down to 0.6 bar in 10-15 seconds. Every so often the gauge won't drop below about 0.9 bar but that's rare. I'm thinking it might be the sensor that fills the boiler, but I think I'll let the experts take a look.

What machine do you run and where does your steam pressure sit?

Thanks

I have an Alex Duetto II. Steam boiler is at 1.1 or 1.2 bar from memory. Will note down exact rest pressure and steam pressure during steaming when I next use it.

Cheers

Checked it today. Steam boiler set at 1.25 bar. while steaming it drops to 0.95-1.0 bar. Tip is a 4 hole 1.0mm dia.

Cheers

Thanks for getting back to me mate. I took my machine in for a service and they did a lot of testing and found it was working to specifications. No parts were replaced. I got it back home and used it and somehow it's working way better. Takes over a minute to drop below 0.9 bar with the original 2 hole 1.5mm tip. They did clean the boiler level probs but said it looked great before they cleaned it. I almost wanted to find a faulty part, but am happy it's working well again.

Also I spoke to coffee parts and they called their rocket supplier regarding the alternate steam tip not fitting and they said they were aware that it doesn't fit and are happy to have a local technician change the tubing to the new part they are using in their machines to rectify this problem (thinner tubing). The guys at coffee parts have been great.

Thanks again!
    Dimal likes this.