• 1 Post By artman
  • 1 Post By Javaphile
  • 1 Post By Notthisguy

Thread: Rocket r58 - To Descale or not to Descale

Rocket r58 - To Descale or not to Descale

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ladies and Gents,

What are your views of Descaling?

Rocket recommends you never Descale their machines, but I really want to avoid scale issues. 6 months after purchasing my machine, it looks like I'm already up for a new anti vac valve due to scale build up and it makes me wonder how the rest of the machine is going. I live in Queensland and the water here is the hardest in the country. I filter my water (now through two filters), but want to take every precaution to look after my machine.

Any other Rocket owners of coffee machine experts able to weigh in?

I'm also open to hearing what other things people do to look after their machines.

Thanks in advance legends - I hope the espresso is flowing well!

G'day again Esky...

Best to check the presence (or not) of the beginnings of scale accretion by removing the Mushroom on top of the Group, then inspect. If scale is starting to accrete, then you will see small nodules of it starting to adhere to the surface of the Mushroom.
    If you are using decent water filtering and changing out at the recommended intervals, then you wouldn't need to do this inspection more often than annually. If the scale nodules are really tiny, then a full on descale is NOT required, give it another 12 months...

Mal.

You're the best. Are you a sponsor here, or just a very active and helpful user? Haha
    Magic_Matt likes this.

i had my r58 for around 2.5 years and always used a brita c150 underbench filter system. Never had scale issues. Another trick is to always use the hot water tap, not to make tea, but just to keep the water moving in the steam boiler. Use it to rinse out your portafilters, or just fill a cup every day. I do it all the time.
    As for descaling, i would dare descale it, because chances are a small bit of scale could drop off and block a pipe, and there is also the fact, you cant completely drain the boilers unless pulling it all apart, so unless you want to strip it down and soak everything, i would try my hardest to keep scale build up at bay
    Dimal likes this.

My thoughts exactly mate. I read about using the water wand (which until now I never did, as I'm not a long black drinker and my cups are warmed by the time I make coffee) and will be sure to do so from now on. Talk coffee talks about water filtration and they recommend the aqua pro benchtop filter but I can't help but feel it won't do enough. I guess I'll see in a year or so.
    Dimal likes this.

Totally agree with Johns comment above. Even if you donít drink tea or long blacks, find a way to use your water wand as part of your prep.

Keep that boiler water turning over and fresh.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Esky View Post
    Talk coffee talks about water filtration and they recommend the aqua pro benchtop filter but I can't help but feel it won't do enough. I guess I'll see in a year or so.
    Why do you feel that it won't do enough? Do you have a specific concern with that filter?

Quote Originally Posted by Esky View Post
    You're the best. Are you a sponsor here, or just a very active and helpful user? Haha
    Just a very contented CSer mate...

Mal.

As above, check the mushroom. No point descaling if it is not required.

Cheers
    sten186 likes this.

I did not know the rocket pulled hot water from the bottom of the steam boiler. Is this usual for dual boilers?
    How does this compare to taking it from the brew circuit of a hx machine? Temperature and pressure/flow?

On every HX machine I've seen hot water is taken from the bottom of the boiler, not the brew circuit.

Java "Boil what?" phile
    magnafunk likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

My musica is hx. You can see the pipe in middle going to brew head. The (kt09) solenoid on same pipe is the hot water. Goes up to hot water wand on right in pic.
    Steam is on left and can see its pipe to top of boiler.

(I hope im right..delete if wrong.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting, hadn't seen a hydraulic circuit like that before.

Java "Learn something new every day" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Sounds much better idea to get it from the bottom of the steam. At least it would be hot, and stay hot.

New project...

When you do check the Mushroom, be very careful with it, it is ceramic, it is very fragile and $170 worth! (first hand knowledge)

Personally i wouldn't descale the machine, use filtered water, continuously purge the hot water wand, back-flush every 2 or so months.
    sten186 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Notthisguy View Post
    When you do check the Mushroom, be very careful with it, it is ceramic, it is very fragile and $170 worth! (first hand knowledge)
    Excellent point Ntg...

Not personally familiar with the R58 so didn't realise it used one of these. Have heard a lot of pro and con arguments about the use of Ceramic Mushrooms though...

Mal.

Backflush wont prevent descale but is sound advise to perform after each session. As above use proper filtered and softened water.

Wow ceramic mushroom. Can it be replaced with an old fashioned material one?

Cheers

I tried a metal replacement version, but there was nothing i could find with the correct clearances, however i am sure there will be a replacement out there somewhere.

ceramic mushroom, wow, $170, another wow.

Do your best to avoid scale, here's a commercial machine that's been running on unfiltered tap water for a few years.
    Needless to say the repair bill won't be cheap.

20180327_181012.jpg