Thread: My R58 - A new look,

My R58 - A new look,

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have been very disappointed in the R58 I purchased around 3 yrs ago. I think it is a version 2. The coffee has not tasted very good. I persevered with not much luck until I just could not drink the coffee. This was a sad state of affairs.
    As I said in another thread I swapped it for my work Rocket Premium when it went into service. Before I took it from home I gave it a caffetto clean.
    When I got it to work I gave it another thorough one yes an overkill?
    No. The result of these to cleans produced acceptable coffee - so it could be the grinder.
    I only made a few coffees each week so I did no feel it needed frequently cleaning. - wrong.
    I gave it another Caffetto clean on Tuesday.
    Yesterday it made the very best coffee I have ever managed to make.

I think that infrequent use allows the unpleasant residue to ‘dry’ in the espresso path. As this builds up it releases the unpleasant taste into the espresso stream resulting in contamination of the brew.

I grind into a 14 gm basket (Rancilio) and extract 20 + 20ml in 20 sec. truly a risretto.
    Using fresh beans from Cimalino coffee shop this gives a sweet rounded taste that has a delightfully full surge caffeine after glow. . The folk love it.

So hats off to the R58 to be able to extract so much from so few beans. Extraordinary!
    Oh I love my R58, it has been a rather long courtship.
    ❤️R58 ☕️☕️

When you say a "Cafetto clean" do you mean a chemical backflush, or a descale?

Backflush.

Oops at work it is actually Bombara’s “Clean Machine”.
    A detergent back flush.

Hey Dumiya
    It may be the way your post reads but had you not backflushed the R58 in the three years you had then when moved to work gave it a few backflushes with clean machine backflush powder and it’s making good coffee again?

what grinder/s are you using?

Yes, it does not read well ~ iPad is not easy to type.
    No detergent backflush for three years would make an excellent weed killer. (Like the auto coffee I was offered at a nursing home recently - with an excellent turnover of clients! Apologies if this comment is in bad taste)

I did often back flush and detergent back flush. But not as often as I should have. Lately for various reasons we have made less home coffee so the cleaning was not as frequent. It seemed clean, This made the situation worse.
    On one CS thread it said frequent detergent back flushing dissolves the e61 lever lubricant - this was not helpful to me - May be but the residue still has to be removed. I am sure it was contaminated pathway that caused the taste.
    Very passable coffees today.
    At home I have a modified hoppy Kony e - no channeling.
    At work we have a M4D - no channeling.