Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 2 Post By Cartmanizm
  • 1 Post By Agrajag

Thread: Possessed Astoria Plus 4 You

Possessed Astoria Plus 4 You

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys, I've got a 2.5 year old Astoria Plus 4 You and it's suddenly gotten possessed (ok well not really but it sounded pretty scary when it started going off all of a sudden). The water appears to be boiling over and erupting like a volcano. I've attached a video below as reference.

Does anybody know what might be going on?

https://youtu.be/zNyM1jQvfWM

possibly an over pressure valve? is the boiler overheating?

Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    Yeah looks like the boiler is overheating. Could be a pressurestat/switch malfunctioning?

Have you had it serviced?

Yep! time for a service.
    Rolf likes this.

That's pretty badass though. Sounds like a cammed V8 or a rotary engine.

Good its going into the drip tray too. If replacing my relief valve, id be getting one that pipes into drip tray as opposed to spraying all over inside of machine

Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    That's pretty badass though. Sounds like a cammed V8 or a rotary engine.
    It sure does, a bit like a top fuel drags car!! Could you give the throttle a few blips for some extra aural pleasure!!??

cheers

Thought I'd give an update. Thank you to those that helped with diagnosing the problem, I really appreciate it. I called up a couple of coffee servicing mobs. One wanted $300 for the minor service plus a diagnostic fee, then he would go back to the shop, pick up the correct parts, then return another day and bill me for another call out fee. I asked if he could bring the parts with him as somebody in here suggested it would be a pressurestat problem and he replied no we can't carry all the parts without having a look at the machine first. Sounded like he was really keen on multiple site visits to rack up the call out fees so I called another company.

Next mob wanted $735 for the following:

The amount includes (2 group):
    Group seals
    Group showers
    Taps
    Steam arm seals
    Safety valve
    Water filter
    Labour

Diagnostic fee for the problem + parts and 2nd call out fee if parts not in van are additional!

Since it sounded like I wouldn't get much change from $1000 with these servicing agents I just purchased a pressurestat and thermostat for $115, opened up the machine (never worked on a coffee machine in my life), swapped the parts over and now the problem is fixed. Also picked up some group seals and showers which didn't cost much and replaced those too. Steam wands were fine so no need to replace anything in there and water filter was recently replaced. Pardon my ignorance, but is there something missing from what I did that the $735 service includes? Nothing in particular about replacing the parts was difficult at all even for a first timer as long as you have a spanner and a screwdriver.
    RavenMad and zeezaw like this.

Nice work on fixing it. It is certainly satisfying to DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartmanizm View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but is there something missing from what I did that the $735 service includes? Nothing in particular about replacing the parts was difficult at all even for a first timer as long as you have a spanner and a screwdriver.
    Well it was a bit more than just a spanner and screwdriver. You got help here to diagnose the problem, you presumably did some research to find out exactly what parts your machine needed, and luckily enough the bits you bought fixed the problem. All of this you spent time doing, surely you value your own time. You can't just expect to pay other people for the raw materials. As you pointed out, they have to travel to you, they have to diagnose the problem, get the required parts, spend time fixing it. Then they presumably provide support if the parts they sold you fail. Not everyone is able to do what you did, or have the time to do so, or has everything work 100% when they try to fix it themselves.

Not trying to have a go, I certainly like to learn and fix things myself when I can, just trying to provide some perspective/answer your question
    Last edited by Agrajag; 7th June 2018 at 08:29 PM.
    bosco likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartmanizm View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but is there something missing from what I did that the $735 service includes?
    The cost of your labour/time and it sounds like they were going to replace a heap of other things while they were in there as preventative maintenance.

Labour is expensive.

And itís generally a good idea to replace those common wear items while the machine is open.

Keeps it running well for longer.

You havent descaled it. There is a bit of time in that