Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Lelit Bianca- E61 with paddle based flow manipulation

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Thanks for taking the time and effort in putting the remarks in this thread into context Andy, may well clear up a few misconceptions for those who were not around during the x saga.

I felt the comments in post 39 had a familiar ring, thought I must be mistaken, obviously not.
    Makes me feel nostalgic for Balthazar...

Anyone had hands on with the Lelit Bianca yet?

https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordp.../lelit-bianca/
    Last edited by CafeLotta; 1 Week Ago at 07:57 AM. Reason: Link added

Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    Anyone had hands on with the Lelit Bianca yet?

https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordp.../lelit-bianca/

Hi all, long time reader, first time posting.

That was a very thorough read and the videos attached were basic but informative. Thanks for link, CafeLotta.

I saw the Bianca at Jetblack and was given a demonstration but unfortunately no hands on. It was great to
    see it in action. The coffee the in-shop barista nicely made for me tasted very good and they were very helpful with answering all my questions. I’m starting to look at upgrading and this machine has got me interested.

I’ll just comment a little on the aesthetics. As most of the photos you see are front on, seeing it from height looking down, the cup area had an insert similar to under the group tray. This tray had some black rubber feet to keep it elevated, I’m guessing to stop cups from vibrating. Under the insert it was brushed stainless steel and it had a small border of about 1cm high around it to stop cups from sliding off. It didn’t have that bling factor that the Profitec behind it had with all that shiny cup shelf glaring back at you. It also looked like it would be a great grind/dust catcher and you would need to remove everything first to wipe it down. If you see the face of the machine, it nicely wraps around with curved edges and connects to body frame about 3-4cm in from the sides. Looking at this join square on with the reflection of outside daylight, it wasn’t quite seemless. But saying this, as you would mostly be looking at it front on, the clean face of the machine without sharp edges or joins is very appealing. I think the measurements given may not take the removable water tank in consideration so you might need to add about 6cm or so into the equation if it’s not being plumbed. The steam wand had great mobility and not as restricted as the Profitec. I also really like the fact that the steam wand and water spout didn’t have those rubber elbows which are more great dust collectors and look difficult to keep clean.

I know with a full cup tray, the issue of brushed S/S shouldn’t be a problem and you could maybe get a machine cut piece of Perspex to replace insert. The machine was quiet, it looked fun to use and the option of leaving the paddle open so you don’t need to teach everyone how to use it when pulling a shot is a nice feature.

Thank you for accepting me into your community, cheers.
    338 likes this.

Welcome to CS!

Your post and observation of one of the details shows why it is always best to check out a machine in the metal. Once you get into the serious territory, all machines are at the awesome end and all capable of great brews (with the right technique and beans), but its the often small details and intricacies that can make one machine grab you, and its usually a personal choice.

Cheers
    Dimal and CafeLotta like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukemc View Post
    Great feature but not sure I like the implementation. Pull lever then switch to paddle to control pressure then switch back to lever to stop?? Why not just use the paddle to control.
    I don't get this machine. If you want to use its capability and texture milk at the same time, you grow another hand. Flow profiling concept is a nice idea and allows for long preinfusions which is a plus.

Perhaps a better solution might use flowmeters and volumetrics to allow the user to set shot length. Push a button then manipulate flow? As Luke has suggested paddle control would be even better.

Personally, I find the execution of the concept unresolved and ugly. Not a contender for my kitchen.

From my perspective, the flow profiling that the Bianca brings to the table is really mostly beneficial for espresso purists.

With milk drinks, a regular E61 is more than sufficient and any nuance from the flow profiling is most likely lost. But, the great thing is you DON'T have to use the paddle. You can still make coffee with just two hands.

Even if you don't do flow profiling, the paddle is a still great way to to adjust your water debit which in itself have a huge influence over the shot quality. Some users had to modifying their machine (opening up the boiler etc ) to fit different sized restrictor to obtain a lower water debit - on the Bianca, you just need to move the paddle and the water debit can be anything you want, all done within a sec.

Surely the paddle can be designed to switch off the pump - but we're probably not talking about $3.5k anymore because that will require a new group design. What's more - the price is in a regular/plain E61 dual boiler territory (Pro 700 is 3.9k, Alex Duetto is 4k++). A pressure (not flow) profiling E61(Vesuvius) is $6k last I check. For that price, you can think of it as a DB E61 on steroid - that comes with flow profiling as a freebie.

Regarding the cup tray being brushed stainless - I wonder if was that an intentional design? Most polished stainless cup tray I've seen tend to scratch over time. Surely it doesn't add much cost to get a polished finish (perhaps it's even cheaper logistically to get plate polished instead of brushed).
    matth3wh, readeral and 338 like this.

Yes- but unless I am incorrect, unless you use the paddle, there is no preinfusion whatsoever. You either hit the puck with high flow at 9Bar (channelling) or you pull a low flow shot for the entire shot volume?

There will always be some kind of preinfusion as it will take a few sec to ramp up to 9 bar. The beauty with the Bianca is you can set it (by adjusting the said water debit) to whatever you want. Do you want a quick ramp (3 sec) or slow ramp (15 sec), your choice. Just set the paddle and forget it.

Flow and pressure are similar but two different things. You can have low flow but high pressure, and vice versa.
    matth3wh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinator View Post
    Yes- but unless I am incorrect, unless you use the paddle, there is no preinfusion whatsoever. You either hit the puck with high flow at 9Bar (channelling) or you pull a low flow shot for the entire shot volume?
    Pre-infusion is taken care of by the LCC (Lelit's version of a PID?) and is adjustable. Even though similar to an E61 grouphead it appears that the E61's pre-infusion valve is omitted or not utilised as the electronics take care of this by controlling the rotary pump.

I look forward to the first online reviewer who photographs the Bianca's grouphead dismantled, showing the valve arrangement, especially the paddle controlled needle valve.

Lelit Bianca - Dual boiler paddle machine
    Last edited by CafeLotta; 1 Week Ago at 08:54 AM.
    matth3wh, 338 and Caffeinator like this.

I've had a hands on with one of these machines. You could pretty easily manipulate the pressure paddle while steaming if you have a technique for steaming one hand (that's what I do - hold the body of the milk jug until it's too warm and then I use my other hand to move to the handle). I didn't get a chance to try doing so though!!
    You'd get used to it I reckon and would eventually pull profiled shots while steaming. That being said, it'd be a time investment to get used to it.

I'm not a pressure profiling guy, but I have to say it's nice to be able to start with low pressure before spinning it right round to full pressure in the end. And in general, it felt like a good e61 to use. May not be your kind of aesthetic, but in terms of it's feel, it's nice. Especially the wood.

edit: One thing I will say, it's weird to have a disconnect between the valves of the e61 opening and the start of the pump - there's a little lag which I found really strange. Maybe a firmware update to the PID would change that behaviour, I dunno.
    Dimal, matth3wh and CafeLotta like this.

Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    One thing I will say, it's weird to have a disconnect between the valves of the e61 opening and the start of the pump - there's a little lag which I found really strange. Maybe a firmware update to the PID would change that behaviour, I dunno.
    The pre-infusion cycle maybe?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    I've had a hands on with one of these machines.
    I'm not a pressure profiling guy, but I have to say it's nice to be able to start with low pressure before spinning it right round to full pressure in the end. And in general, it felt like a good e61 to use. May not be your kind of aesthetic, but in terms of it's feel, it's nice. Especially the wood.
    Hi readeral I noticed you were selling your ECM Technika IV Profi and mentioned the Pro 700.

Wanting to ask whether you were tempted away from the Pro 700 by the Lelit Bianca?

But after refreshing I see you've already purchased the Pro 700. Be interested to hear your thoughts when you've had more time with the Pro 700.

I'm heading down to Sydney on Friday for a coffee conference and might drop in to JetBlack to see if I can check them out. There's certainly plenty of tempting machines for sale on CS at the moment too :-)
    readeral likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    The pre-infusion cycle maybe?
    No, it's sub-one second, so just a sync issue of some sort. It's not a big deal, but was something I noticed.
    The Bianca offers you full pump pressure from the start, so there's no pump-assisted preinfusion like there is on the Lelit Kate/Victoria models as far as I know. Unless Jetblack turned that off for this unit. But given you have full control of water output via the needle, there's no need for that pre-infusion anyway, you just start your brew slow, and ramp it up after 5 seconds. Or however you like.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, you might be right, in that some logic need to happen on the LCC to determine if it _should_ run a preinfusion cycle first or not. So that's probably why there's a lag there. And it's not noticeable on the kates/victorias because they aren't e61, and so the switches operate differently.

Quote Originally Posted by matth3wh View Post
    Hi readeral I noticed you were selling your ECM Technika IV Profi and mentioned the Pro 700.

Wanting to ask whether you were tempted away from the Pro 700 by the Lelit Bianca?

But after refreshing I see you've already purchased the Pro 700. Be interested to hear your thoughts when you've had more time with the Pro 700.

I'm heading down to Sydney on Friday for a coffee conference and might drop in to JetBlack to see if I can check them out. There's certainly plenty of tempting machines for sale on CS at the moment too :-)
    Yeah I'm a big-machine kind of guy ;-) My goal was always to move up to a dual boiler in the Profitec/ECM/Rocket range at some point, so despite the Bianca's arrival, it didn't interest me much. But given I had a chance to pull a shot on it, I had enough interest from a technical/usability standpoint to want to have a play regardless of whether I would buy one!

I think it's definitely a machine for the plumb-in users, with the option of tank if/when necessary, like taking it off site for an event or activity (or a barista course). The machine's depth is pretty shallow without the backpack, so it's the perfect dual boiler for someone who wants an e61 style machine but their kitchen benches aren't all that deep. I live in a house with a massive breakfast bar so why not put a massive Pro 700 on it ;-)
    Dimal and level3ninja like this.

Do any sponsors with a shop in Melbourne sell the Lelit Bianca?

A perfect use of the QUOTE FORM link found at the top and bottom of every page to ask all the sponsors at once your question.

Java "cliiiiick" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

I am just wondering aloud on the Bianca...Will the capillary tube to the gauge fill with coffee gunk in time? It looks like you'd would want to backwash the machine thoroughly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12