Thread: Faema E98 Compact A1

Faema E98 Compact A1

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi folks,

I managed to score a Faema E98 Compact A1 from Gumtree for cheap, machine appears to work just fine and I have spent the afternoon giving it a once over. I still have it partially in bits as I intend on sprucing up all the panels in someway or another.
    I'm too sure but it may need a full tear down, its operating fine at the moment and has happily pushed a few tanks of water through while I was flushing it and getting a gauge of what all the buttons do.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/0F68kA9sRhRBxGxo1 < Pics

We tried pouring a few shots this evening but nothing turned out any good. The dispensing buttons dole out the correct amount of liquid with nothing in the handle (the double about 65-70 and the big flush about 125ml), but the moment we put grinds in we get inconsistent volumes on our shots. We have tried dosing around 14-15 grams in the double, which is all we have. My wife has quite a few years under her belt as a barista and basically went about business as usual but each shot gave very different amount of liquid, sometimes a quick spurt at the start, or end of the shot. I was getting between 20-30ml each shot from the double. On the last shot we poured water started coming out of the drainage line at the start of the shot and then a trickle came from the puck at the end.
    I have been reading some of the Home-Barista articles and trying to apply what is written there, is this simply a matter of grind/dose/tamp? Are the any items I should be checking from a maintenance point?

Cheers

EDIT: I have added a video (to the above link) of it pouring a shot and you can see it dumping a large amount of water
    Last edited by Scottt; 28th May 2018 at 10:01 AM.

wow, that machine looks tired

Sounds like you may have an issue with the pump, and/or the flow meter for the volumetric dosing..? If your wife knows what she is doing re the basket prep etc, and it is consistant, then I would be guessing there's a mechanical problem.

If you are getting water dumping into the catch reservoir during pump operation then that points to a jammed bypass in the pump head. the pump produces a heap of flow and pressure and if the bypass is jammed the excess pressure will dump out of the safety valve. you can remove the bypass and clean it up. it is just a small piston with a seal backed by a spring.

If it is dumping water occasionally then that points to the bypass being sticky and variable, which will make your shots variable accordingly.

Best to program the volumetric buttons during extraction, although when I had mine the volumetrics worked great.

Dont forget you can just use the on/off button and ignore the volumetrics. DOes that give you a consistent brew?

Cheers

great machine, i made only one improvement

And thanks to you all,
    Keepupthegoodwork