Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Koffee_Kosmo
  • 4 Post By Bosco_Lever

Thread: Bezzera Strega or Profitec Pro 800 Advice

Bezzera Strega or Profitec Pro 800 Advice

Hi Guys and Girls

I'm in the market for a new coffee machine. I currently have an Izzo Alex 2 which I purchase in 2011. Since purchasing the machine the PID has gone (can't read any numbers anymore), the brewhead pressure gauge no longer works (it stopped within the first year), it currently leaks (I have it plumbed) the lever action seems to grind now and it isn't smooth, making me think something has worn within and on top of all that when you cut the flow or do a back flush it doesn't release the pressure from the group head. If you remove the group the pressure escapes and spits water/coffee everywhere.

Taking all the into consideration and after doing some pricing to have the machine repaired I feel I'd be getting close to the $2k mark. So I've decided this machine will be passed onto family and I'll get a new one.

I'm currently looking at the either the Bezzera Strega or Profitec Pro 800 and looking for opinions good or bad for each of these machines.

I should also say I was looking at the La Marzocco Linea Mini .

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Last edited by at535; 6 Days Ago at 09:25 PM.

I looked at both machines when I was shopping around and chose the Profitec 800 and have no regrets. Solid reliable performer with outstanding shots every time. Easy to use.

If I was in the market again I would make the same choice

Some good links worth reading

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-e...700-800-a.html

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-e...-800-tips.html

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-e...now-about.html I did a review in Post 155 on this thread

If you have any specific questions feel free to come back to me

Good luck

One is a modern pump assist to fill the cylinder machine
    The other fills the cylinder by boiler pressure machine ( this one is more traditional)
    Both will do a good job - Both easy to maintain - no back flushing needed

The Strega also has an electricaly heated cylinder head as a lot of modern commercial machines use now
    This feature will have you ready to make coffee in 10/15 minutes and save you money on your electric bill

The Profitec will heat up in a time frame similar to your current machine

I won’t recommend one over the other but chose a machine you can live with
    And finally I own a Strega and find it a wonderful machine with an impeccable finish

KK

Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    I agree with Beanz. I looked at both machines and went with the Pro 800. I have been told by a number of people including members here and the salesman at the shop that the Strega can feel 'cheap'.

I love the pro 800 and don't regret the choice. Keep in mind a PID doesn't come standard on the strega, so you need to add $500 ish extra to the price to add one in.

Its like choosing whether to go on a date with Angelina Jolie or Scarlett Johansson

Hi,
    I would also have a look at Izzo Leva. I love mine!
    They are well described in this forum
    Regards
    Dave

Another supplementary post - I should add
    I have owned my Strega since 2011 ( the first unit in Australia ) and in that time I have only replaced a group head seal

So that should give you an indication of its reliability
    It’s kept in pristine condition and even after many years it could pass as new

KK

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dave View Post
    Hi,
    I would also have a look at Izzo Leva. I love mine!
    They are well described in this forum
    Regards
    Dave
    Thanks Dave, im kinda steering clear of the Izzo. As mentioned i have the Izzo Alex Duetto 2 and to be honest im not super impressed with it. To many things gone wrong with the machine, so if im to spend $$$ again id rather not put it into another Izzo.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatEverBeansNecessary View Post
    I agree with Beanz. I looked at both machines and went with the Pro 800. I have been told by a number of people including members here and the salesman at the shop that the Strega can feel 'cheap'.

I love the pro 800 and don't regret the choice. Keep in mind a PID doesn't come standard on the strega, so you need to add $500 ish extra to the price to add one in.
    I have seen KK's machine and had the distinct pleasure of also having coffee from it. There is nothing "cheap" about the Strega, and it makes damn fine coffee, especially if the beans used come from a certain supplier....

I have a Bosco and it is hand made. Some will describe the build as not being on a par with other manufacturers that have laser cut edges etc. People are entitled to different opinions when it comes to machine looks and build. My machine is super reliable and has only needed a group head seal replacement. Temperature stability is excellent and I have not been convinced of the need for a PID on a lever. You will not be able to change temp at a whim and see direct correlation in the cup like you would with a E61 machine. My machine has only one electrical part (element), and is expected to last a very long time. (6yrs and counting)

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco_Lever View Post
    especially if the beans used come from a certain supplier....
    Are you the mystery certain supplier, Bosco_Lever?

Senior Member WhatEverBeansNecessary's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco_Lever View Post
    I have seen KK's machine and had the distinct pleasure of also having coffee from it. There is nothing "cheap" about the Strega, and it makes damn fine coffee, especially if the beans used come from a certain supplier....

I have a Bosco and it is hand made. Some will describe the build as not being on a par with other manufacturers that have laser cut edges etc. People are entitled to different opinions when it comes to machine looks and build. My machine is super reliable and has only needed a group head seal replacement. Temperature stability is excellent and I have not been convinced of the need for a PID on a lever. You will not be able to change temp at a whim and see direct correlation in the cup like you would with a E61 machine. My machine has only one electrical part (element), and is expected to last a very long time. (6yrs and counting)
    Never had the pleasure of seeing a the strega up close, so I can only go on what I have been told. However they do have some nice features and a smaller foot print.

Bezzera Strega or Profitec Pro 800 Advice

Good luck with your search,

Bezzera is a worth brand, certainly not "cheap" by any stretch of the imagination.

The unique feature of the Strega is the actively heated group head. This means its heat up time is significantly faster then other group head designs.

It was the actively heated group[ head that led us to develop our PID kit for the Strega (with assistance of course from Rick Bond).

Whilst certainly not necessary the PID combined with the actively heated group head almost seem like they were deigned to work together.

We recently sold a Strega and an Atom to a Sydney client. His comment to me when he had all up and running ...

"just listen to the serenity..."

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Last edited by Casa Espresso; 4 Days Ago at 07:35 PM.