• 2 Post By artman
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By Javaphile
  • 2 Post By Dimal

Thread: Noisy Pump - Izzo Alex Duetto II

Noisy Pump - Izzo Alex Duetto II

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

When extracting - the pump on my Izzo Alex Duetto II has recently become very noisy. Video of the issue, below:

https://youtu.be/YNqBKwuuEg8

Clearly something is not right. Further - this morning, when I tried to make a brew - the pump actually failed to kick in at all (and no change in pressure). But - after a couple of lifts of the lever right now - it's back to the noisy sound in the video.

Any advice appreciated, as to what the problem might be - and what I can do to diagnose. Machine is at least six years old, and I am currently loving learning as much as I possibly can about the internals of the machine.

Thanks for any tips!

scottydog.

Sounds like water has leaked from the pump and has gotten into the motors top bearing.

Take the pump off the top of the motor (not a difficult job) and check the top of the motor for water damage.
    Water damage to the motors top bearing (rust), will cause the noise.

There is a very good chance your pump is leaking (this will happen if the machine is not used much).

You might be up for a new pump, $200.00 to $250.00.

Oil the bearing of the motor and run it without the pump connected.
    If the noise is still there, you might also need a new motor, up to $300.00.

Rotary pumps, if not used a lot can leak through the shaft seal.

If you replace the pump, make sure you fill the space where the pump and motor join with grease, this will stop any problems with the motor in the event of the new pump developing a leak.
    Dimal and scottydog like this.

Quote Originally Posted by topshot View Post
    Sounds like water has leaked from the pump and has gotten into the motors top bearing.

Take the pump off the top of the motor (not a difficult job) and check the top of the motor for water damage.
    Water damage to the motors top bearing (rust), will cause the noise.

There is a very good chance your pump is leaking (this will happen if the machine is not used much).......
    Great insight, thanks topshot.

Just a quick post of appreciation - this place is an awesome source of information. I really appreciate everyone's help recently.

Holy cow!

IMG_0156comp.png

Pretty sure we've found the problem...

Wow. Does the motor shaft turn ok?

While you are there might be worthwhile to turn the pump and motor upside down like the newer versions. Might need new hoses.

Cheers
    scottydog likes this.

After a good clean.... all that stuff came off really easily. Seems to turn really well now.

Will be interesting to see if the noise goes away.

Mine is doing a bit of that too. Must take it apart and have a look.

The PID LEDs are going on mine too, another project to fix.

Cheers
    scottydog likes this.

As you suspected artman - the noise is almost identical to video in my first post. Hard to believe that you can remove so much **** and see no real improvement!

Here is a quick vid of the motor with no pump, after cleaning: https://youtu.be/7gfT9WPPDQo . I assume that this should be nearly silent?

Can anyone recommend a new motor to replace the original one from the machine??

I would expect the motor to simply wirr/hum with nothing connected. Hard to tell from the video the exact noise.

Is the shaft silky smooth when you spin the shaft with your fingers? It should be.

Probably the water has stuffed the bearings.

If you can get to the bearings to press them off and new ones off it will be an easy fix for a few $.

Otherwise try coffeeparts for new motor.

Cheers
    scottydog likes this.

The top bearing has had the royal sausage!

The top bearing could be replaced, I never tried, I just replaced the motor and pump.

Coffeeparts, Talk Coffee and most Izzo dealers should carry the parts.
    Dimal and scottydog like this.

Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    Is the shaft silky smooth when you spin the shaft with your fingers? It should be.
    It's certainly not frictionless. Next weekend I'll give it another crack and take the motor apart to see if I can salvage. Otherwise - new motor it is.

Quote Originally Posted by topshot View Post
    The top bearing has had the royal sausage!

The top bearing could be replaced, I never tried, I just replaced the motor and pump.

Coffeeparts, Talk Coffee and most Izzo dealers should carry the parts.
    Yep,

That's what I would be doing too.
    You can then overhaul/rebuild the original components at your leisure. If you have access to the necessary tools, would be quick and easy to complete and then you have a spare system ready to go...

Mal.

I had a listen to the video clip on something with better sound. Definitely sounds buggered.

Cheers

how did you go with the motor, did you replace the bearings or get a new one?

I took the cover off my alex the other day, I had a similar noise, was dreading what you came across.

when I took the pump unit off the motor, no leaking was evident, clean as a whistle. Ran the motor without pump attached and it was almost completely silent. good result.

I unscrewed the pump bypass adjustment screw and housing, the little piston was quite stiff. I pulled it out, cleaned the inside of the housing and the plunger, lubed it lightly, reassembled and tested the pump. Back to the refined gentle hum, great success!

i was surprised at the noise/vibration this little piston created. I guess it was bouncing under the spring load instead of moving to its required position due to the tight friction. This fix/maintenance would be common to any rotary pump I woudl imagine, simple job that only takes a few minutes.

Cheers
    Dimal and Javaphile like this.

Had the same issue with water getting into the bearing. Installed new motor and pump. I pulled the old motor down and replaced the bearing ($7) and now have a silent spare motor. I have disassembled the pump and it isn't actually too complicated. Does anyone know if, and therefore where a refurb kit can be sourced? I've seen people on youtube rebuilding the pumps but have no idea about where to purchase the required kit?

G'day mate...

There's a company in Melbourne who do exchange pumps but I don't know whether they supply rebuild kits as such. Worth contacting them anyway...

ProconPumps.JPG

Mal.
    oldman likes this.

G'day and Thanks Mal,
    You don't happen to know the companies name?
    I'm kind of a tinkerer and as I have installed a new pump I'm just looking for a challenge, and it certainly won't hurt to have a backup.

oldman

It looks like another link that went bad in the crash. Mal will need to re-upload his picture. :\

Java "Crashes bad!" phile
    oldman likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Haha...

The info image I included in the above post must have got lost in the recent CS Server problems.
    Here it is again...
    Procon.JPG

Mal.

Snap JP
    Javaphile and oldman like this.