Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dimal

Thread: Corrosion on steam boiler - Alex Duetto v2

Corrosion on steam boiler - Alex Duetto v2

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi friends

I recently purchased a Alex duetto v2 from a fellow snobber and have been loving it since picking it up.

I hadn't noticed any issues but decided to pull the covers to familiarise myself with the innards and double check for any minor leaks. Good news is I couldn't find any leaks, bad news is the steam boiler is covered in this green powdery stuff (corrosion?). It appears to be all over the boiler with heavier sections on the welds. The brew boiler looks fine with no green funk at all which leads me to believe it could be a reaction with the foil on the insulation as the brew boiler is uninsulated.

I was planning to do a strip/clean/service in 6 months as without the covers off the machine seemed fine. I am unsure if this is normal corrosion for the age - should I be pulling it apart and giving it a bath asap?

Thanks

Tim

IMG_1197.jpg

G'day Tim...

There may have been a leaky steam connection or similar somewhere in the machine's past that resulted in some dampness/condensation hanging around for some time, that allowed for the patina to form. Since you can't identify any leaks of any kind now, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just keep an ear out to listen for any suspect steam leaks or sticking anti-vac valve. If it all sounds good, then all should be Ok...

Mal.
    matth3wh and timothyp like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    G'day Tim...

There may have been a leaky steam connection or similar somewhere in the machine's past that resulted in some dampness/condensation hanging around for some time, that allowed for the patina to form. Since you can't identify any leaks of any kind now, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just keep an ear out to listen for any suspect steam leaks or sticking anti-vac valve. If it all sounds good, then all should be Ok...

Mal.
    Awesome! I'll keep an eye on it, thanks for the info Mal

I've seen that green powder on quite a few Izzo's i've worked on , came to the same conclusion as you that it was a reaction with the foil, never found any leaks that may have been causing it.